• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Chicago area visit

Binty

South Island, New Zealand
I’m on a layover in Chicago for a few days (until Wed3 Apr). Me and my buddy from New Zealand want to find a local field where we can come and talk shop and see some local light aircraft, snoop hangers and generally be nosey...

anyone in those parts want to meet up or recommend somewhere we could go and spend a day?

cheers
Binty

Send Marc Epner and email. Look up “Simple Flight Radio” for an address. He founded the Leading Edge Flying Club and does a weekly podcast from Chicago Executive. If anybody’s tied in it’d be him. Maybe he’ll interview y’all;-)

Hey Binty, you got a car while in Chicago? I'm about 1.5 hours drive from downtown and might be able to meet up over the next couple days.

I have a PA12 nearing completion at Jim Kidd’s hangar that I’m sure he would show you.

He’s a world class builder and knows everyone at Poplar Grove who is like minded with his neighbor Bill Rusk.

I hope you brought a winter coat and boots. It is still a tad wintery there.

Hey Paul

Thanks for the heads up. We are going to make a visit to Poplar Grove tomorrow (Tue 2nd) .

Hopefully we can find a few hangers open and have a bit of a look. Shame the Museum is closed for now!

It’s a bit cool but pleasant in the sun out of that damn wind! Not as bad as a few weeks ago when I came through!!

if nothing else, we will get out of the city for a day and see some new scenery.

Cheers

I have a PA12 nearing completion at Jim Kidd’s hangar that I’m sure he would show you.

He’s a world class builder and knows everyone at Poplar Grove who is like minded with his neighbor Bill Rusk.

I hope you brought a winter coat and boots. It is still a tad wintery there.

We're going to be at Poplar Grove too, probably Friday 4.05-Tuesday 4.09.19. Probably tied up all of Saturday, 4.06.19, but also interested in seeing once again what all's going on.

Thanks. cubscout

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the advice. We took a rental out of the city and made our way up to Poplar Grove. Unsurprisingly (For midday on a cool Tuesday) not a lot of movement there .. so I stuck my nose into the Flying school and got the address of Jim Kidd’s hanger to go and have a chat (and look over Paul Heinrich’s rebuild). On the way out the door I bumped into Blake Thomas who with his Steve and Tina (Mum and Dad) run the engine shop -and whole airfield

Well... 7 hrs later after the best airfield tour ever, a few beers, good stories, and several new friends, we rolled out of there back ‘home’ to the city determined to return next time. Iv already filed my FAApaperwork to get a US conversion to my NZ licence so I can get back to do some flying. I may even try and haul my engine back in a suitcase or two to have it Overrhauled at Poplar Grove...

Sorry to Bill Rusk, FancyPants,Paul and Cubscout whom I missed but I’m sure we will cross paths again. Also have to apologise to the all the folks at the airfield who’s afternoon of productivity was blown the moment 3 Kiwis turned up crawling over their aircraft, cars, toys and privacy with our un-intelligible conversation. Good times.��

Big thanks to Bill Rusk for the excellent hospitality at Popular Grove, catching up, and meeting of the great neighbours there. We'll probably be back in a couple months.

Thanks. cubscout

Back