• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spark plugs

I use a Fluke to measure them myself. Best meter on the market.

I just called Glacier and they don't have any fine wires on the shelf at the moment. Putting new REM40's may be the most expedient way of checking the stumble. Maybe replace a couple at a time to narrow things down?

Web

Doc has a good point. If you have a four point EGT/CHT, the temp differences will show the cylinder and the mag drop test will tell you top or bottom.

Web

Thanks Web. Stoddards has them but they are in sealed tubes and they were happy to let me cut them open and test them after I buy them:smile: Darn capitalist!

I'm suspicious of the readings but this is the first time I have ever measured any plug resistance and just tossing Fine Wires for the h of it isn't going to happen quite yet.

Jerry

I don't throw ANY plug 'just 'cause'. But I was raised by depression era parents.

Maybe the engine shop has one?

Web

I tested some fine wires last week, if there is a screw slot in the wire end, they are old champions and will be higher, all tempest and newer champions will be 5k or less if good. Pressure testing plugs pressure is based on the gap. I test at 130 psi or so. The ones that will trip a person up will pass a pressure test but will be open circuit on an ohm test. Good luck on your quest…

I don't throw ANY plug 'just 'cause'. But I was raised by depression era parents.

Maybe the engine shop has one?

Web
i have trashed almost 100 plugs in the last year… you would hate me… I do ohm and pressure test, the only squawks I get with a lycoming are due to the students not leaning before a mag check. Maintenance runs it up, leans to max egt for 10-20 seconds, go 50 degrees rich and check… mag drop is now 50 instead of 300. Some of our airplanes are flying 100 hours per month. I do lots of plug cleaning..

Back