• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Floats to Alaska - 2018

Float rudders forced sideways while parked can eventually punch holes in the aft bulkhead. Small EDO's are especially prone and go unnoticed. Once pumped out on the shore they can fill while taxiing and takeoff. Gluing a rubber bumper to the bulkhead can reduce the problem.

Enough war stories back to camping and fishing with Bill.

Gary

Folks

We have covered just about all the cabins on Admirality Island.
Young Lake North
Young Lake South
Big Shaheen
Little Shaheen
Hassleborg
Jims Lake
Alexander Lake
Sportsman (gone)

So now lets go a little further West, over Admirality Island, and across Chatham Strait to Baranof Island. This island runs mostly North/South and is of sorts a barrier island, separating the ocean from Admirality and Kupreanof Islands. The mountain range on Baranof runs like a spine down the island from N to S and thus shelters everything to the East (and usually lee side) of the island. They say that it is often VERY windy and turbulent going around the South end of the island at Cape Ommaney so I've not tried that yet. This leaves two ways to get to the West side. Enter at Gut Bay which transitions to Whale bay to the ocean. This route can be done with about a 400' ceiling and is very scenic.
Little 50 second video here - no audio editing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-A2igIAk-A
The other option is to go around the North end of the island via Peril Strait and past Fish Bay to the ocean. I have done several 180 degree turns on this route as the wx on the East side is good but coming around the corner towards the West side the wx got lower and lower until the brain says "this is stupid".
If it is a nice day one option is to follow the river behind the Baranof Lake Cabin over the mountain pass, (about 4300'), drop down into Silver Bay and into Sitka. Using this route it is only about a 15 minute flight from the Cabin to Sitka or vice versa.
This little 50 second video shows the route from Sitka to Baranof Lake Cabin over this hump, and also shows the waterfall where Baranof Lake dumps into the ocean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6zLSYDmai4 this is an older video before I learned about adding music, narration etc

This video shows the flight from Juneau to the Cabin, a couple of bears, beaching the Cub, and a little fishing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5RDzw4C2o

DSCN02571.jpg

This is the Baranof Lake Cabin. The beach is good but a little tight. No hiking trails at this cabin, that I have found and it is a little dark inside (no skylights) but it is in a VERY scenic location. Wood stove for you romantic types. And the skiff is YUUGE. I call it Big Bertha. Would not want to row that behemoth very far. Fortunately the mouth to the river is very close by.

DSCN0236.jpg

Inside the Cabin. A Standard Pan Abode cabin.

DSCN02352.jpg

Looking the other way. Food prep on your right, bunks behind you, wood stove and door.

DSCN02381.jpg

Scenery. The river mouth is in front and you can see the waterfall. Up this channel is the pass (4300") to Sitka

DSCN02321.jpg

Looking the other way. You can see the beach area in this picture. There is a cell tower somewhere around here as I managed to get a text and send a text from this cabin. The only one I have got any type of cell service at so far. Not that I am looking for that, but if it is important to you, thought I'd mention it.

This is an excellent cabin, scenic, cozy, relatively low entry if you are coming from Juneau, and it is close to one of my favorite places in the SE. The Baranof Hot Springs. I will cover that in the next post.

Hope this is of interest

Bill

Baranof Hot Springs

DSCN02251.jpg

At the entrance to Baranof Lake is Warm Springs Bay shown here. The red line follows the river from the Baranof Lake and the little loop is about where the Hot Springs are located. You could land in the Bay if you are OK with salt water, otherwise land in the lake and it is a pretty short hike down.

IMG_00894.jpg

This is the scenery from the beach area on Baranof Lake where the trail starts to the ocean/bay and the hot springs is a short jog off the trail about 1/2 way to the Bay. There will be boats on the shore here so it is easy to find. There are some pretty good sized rocks in the area so a little aerial sighting and planning will be helpful.

IMG_00916.jpg

The start of the trail is obvious. The trail is excellent gravel and about half of the trail is actually a boardwalk.

IMG_00925.jpg

After several hundred yards of gravel the trail will become boardwalk. Look for a trail going off to your right, towards the river you are running parallel to. There will be a break in the boardwalk rail there, and although not marked with a sign it is pretty clear. That will be the trail to the Hot Springs. It is only, at most, 100 yards from the main trail to the Springs but it is mostly dirt. There are some boards but just sporadic.

DSCN1563.jpg

There are two pools at the springs...an upper and a lower. The water flow is pretty high so they refresh every few minutes. Temp is warm enough that you have to get in slowly and about 10 or 15 minutes will probably be enough. There is a bit of sulphur but it is not bad and you will not smell of sulphur when you get out.

IMG_13571.jpg

Most of the time I've been there it has been deserted but you never know what type of scenery you might find, thus you probably want to wear some type of swim wear.

IMG_00935.jpg

If you continue on down the trail to the bay there is a bath house there with three rooms with bathtubs in them. It is free unless you want to make a donation (Please do) to use the facilities.

IMG_00943.jpg

The water can be mixed with a little cool water to get the temp to your comfort level.

IMG_00962.jpg

There are a few houses in the Bay, a nice dock, the bath house, etc. I did have a Brown Bear come out of the woods near the big waterfall once. Just a heads up. He was more interested is fishing for salmon. I've probably been there 8 times and only encountered that one bear. I recommend you keep bear spray on your belt.

This is still one of the coolest places to visit in the SE. If you fly in to the cabins keep this on the top of your "to do" list. You can land, hike to the springs, sit a bit, hike to the bay and take a bath, then hike out, all in a couple of hours. It does not take all day to visit this spot. But it is certainly worth your time to see it. Very cool (or maybe I should say hot).

Hope this helps

Bill

Float rudders forced sideways while parked can eventually punch holes in the aft bulkhead. Small EDO's are especially prone and go unnoticed. Once pumped out on the shore they can fill while taxiing and takeoff. Gluing a rubber bumper to the bulkhead can reduce the problem.
Gary

This picture is an example of what Gary is talking about. It is easy to do when pulling the tails up onto a beach. Use caution.

LAKE EVA CABIN

Gary and Pete - thanks for your contributions - much appreciated.

DSCN03521.jpg

This is the Lake Eva Cabin also on Baranof island, accessible from the East side of the island (generally better weather). As you can see it has a HUGE dock, looks like they got it from a jetway at Kennedy International Airport. They must have had a fire sale after they quit handling the B-747.
It is good, but it's a bit of overkill in my opinion, and kinda ruins the rustic Alaska atmosphere.
This cabin is handicap accessible and would be a good spot if one of the members of your party are less than fully mobile.
My memory of this cabin is not being able to get in here twice where there was a cloud/mist/fog at the inlet to the lake. Weather was good at Chatham and Peril Straits but clouds blocked the entrance. I doubt that is common, and I think this cabin is probably pretty easy to get to most of the time. It is very low entry. Another interesting point. If you go to Tom Bass's Cabin website and look at his pictures for this cabin it is much different. Apparently the cabin has been totally rebuilt in the somewhat recent past. http://www.publiclakecabinsak.com/06-sitka/lake-eva-cabin

DSCN0353.jpg

Showing the boardwalk to the outhouse, large enough to handle a wheelchair.

DSCN0355.jpg

outhouse facility

DSCN0356.jpg

Inside shot

DSCN0357.jpg

It has an oil stove. Be sure to bring your own fuel. And firewood if you want to use the outside fire pit.

DSCN03581.jpg

Firepit on the deck. Nice

DSCN0354.jpg

Front view.

DSCN03591.jpg

It does have a nice dock. If they had made the ramp a little smaller and out of wood I think it would have been better. JMHO.

Overall a nice cabin on the East side of Baranof.

Our very own George Campbell flew for Harris Air out of Sitka for several seasons and has no doubt been to EVERY cabin on Baranof many times. He would be a GREAT resource if you are planning a particular cabin on Baranof. There are still several cabins on this island that I have not been to yet.
But..... I will cover some more that I have been to in the next post.

Hope this helps

Bill

Last edited:
More Baranof Cabins

South of Sitka on Baranof Island there are 5 Cabins, well.....4 now, so lets work our way south and do a little tour.

REDOUBT Lake
DSCN03481.jpg

This is looking down Redoubt lake just South of Sitka. There was a cabin on the East end (in front of the airplane) of this lake but it was destroyed by a rock slide. The couple that was in the cabin survived. Here is a link to an article about that. Pretty cool story. https://www.kcaw.org/2013/05/13/couple-escapes-as-landslide-destroys-cabin/

So.......no Cabin here anymore. Have I mentioned these cabins are slowly going away. Don't put it off too long. Go while you still can.

SALMON LAKE CABIN
DSCN0349.jpg

Salmon Lake Cabin. Well....sorta. The long tree against the shore to the left of the boat is actually the dock, except the Forrest Service guys had not moved it from its winter storage place along the shore to 90° out. So here I am taxing around trying to figure out how to do this. If you go nose in to the tree, there better be ZERO wind or it will pivot the airplane around and stick a wing in the tree. Not good. But say you managed to jump out, and secure the plane before the wind can pivot it. Great. How are you going to get out of there? Solo. No one to help. Bottom line. Not worth the risk just to go check out a cabin. One of the things I really enjoy about float flying is the forethought and planning required. Before you even land you have to think about how to dock and how to get off the dock and safely out of the lake.
This lake and cabin is quite near Sitka, but the lake is fairly small and may not be a good place for a heavy 180/185 type. Again you must think ahead and plan. You may be able to get in but can you get out? Planning ahead is everything.

DSCN1776.jpg

Looking across Chatham Strait at the back (East) side of Baranof Island

DSCN1777.jpg

Looking mostly North up Chatham Strait

AVOSS LAKE CABIN

DSCN1779.jpg

Avoss lake is pretty much in a bowl. Be careful of the weather here. Easy to get socked in.

DSCN1781.jpg

Nice trail to the cabin. Only a couple hundred feet back but not right on the beach like many of the cabins.

DSCN1782.jpg

It is an A frame Cabin

DSCN1784.jpg

Inside

DSCN1792.jpg

A pretty good, sheltered place to park and the rocks are not too bug. But still it is NOT just smooth sand. It is rocky.

DAVIDOF LAKE CABIN
DSCN17931.jpg

Davidof cabin is on this lake just across Whale Bay from Avoss lake. Still in a bowl.

DSCN1794.jpg

The cabin is at the far end next to the river outlet.

DSCN1812.jpg

The trail to the cabin was a mess when I was there. I'm sure the FSD came in and cleaned it up. I hope.

DSCN1804.jpg

A frame cabin

DSCN1802.jpg

Wood stove so firewood supplied by FSD (Forrest Service Dept)

DSCN1806.jpg

Pretty nice inside

DSCN1810.jpg

Not much of a privy here. Most cabins have a pretty nice, clean, not smelly, outhouse. Not so much here.

DSCN1798.jpg

Very rocky and exposed parking. Not so good.

PLOTNIKOF LAKE CABIN
DSCN1816.jpg

Coming in to the Plotnikof lake cabin. It is at the far end of the lake

DSCN1821.jpg

Nice trail to the cabin

DSCN1830.jpg

This one is a Pan Abode Cabin

DSCN1828.jpg

This one has a better privy

DSCN1826.jpg

Inside of the cabin

DSCN1820.jpg

Better parking here but still pretty rocky and exposed.

There are a number of cabins (3 or 4) on the northern part of Baranof that I have not been to yet. It seems that (other than Baranof and Eva) the cabins on Baranof Island are not as clean, or as well maintained, as some other cabins. When you add in weather, and parking issues, these cabins are definitely more challenging to use.

Here is a two minute video that shows these cabins and a bit more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuSl2VXRwJI

Hope this helps

Bill

Last edited:
Folks

Time to look at some cabins on Prince of Wales Island across from Ketchikan. The locals just abbreviate it POW so I will too. In general POW is fairly populated with roads all over. This means many of the cabins can be accessed by short hikes or short canoe paddles so they get used a fair amount. There are some that are a little more out of the way as well. One of these is........

IMG_2418.jpg

Doc Randy in front of the Salmon Lake Thorn Bay Cabin. This is an older cabin built with narrow diameter logs and shingles. It is a little rough but it is in a cool location right on the beach and kinda hidden behind an island. There is a fair amount of daylight between the shingles in places so I'm guessing it might be tough to heat. Perhaps July and August would be good months to stay in this cabin.

IMG_24271.jpg

View from the cabin. You can see the island. This cabin has a great beach and is sheltered from the wind by the island so should be a pretty good place even in rough weather.

IMG_2415.jpg

Doc Randy relaxing on the floats. You can see the scenery in the background. Neat place.

IMG_24261.jpg

Back side of the cabin

IMG_2421.jpg

Interior shot. Note the wood stove.

IMG_2422.jpg

Another interior shot.

More to come

Bill

Nice trip Bill...When I first came to Alaska back in the early '80's I flew out of Ketchikan...waaaaay before touroids started arriving in droves. 1980 was when President Carter allocated a lot of the parks in AK along with Misty Fjords Nat'l Monument. There was a very little amount of flight seeing going on back then, but most of our flying was flying mail and peeps and supplies in and out of the villages and logging camps, etc etc...also, families to and from the USFS cabins. Sadly, do to lack of interest or more like it, lack of bucks, touroid dollars don't beat the old logging business and the mills, the USFS has begun to burn down the less popular cabins...stupid I say, to waste our taxpayers bucks by flying out to burn down a cabin...we don't want squatters now do we? When was the last time you needed an emergency shelter?!!! Thx for the memories Bill...
After a night at the Humpback LC I flew into Ketchikan in a steady rain all the way. My logbook shows it was a .8 hr flight. I still had 2.5 hours of fuel in the plane so a good safety margin. I like to stay at the Inn at Creek Street hotel in Ketch. It is right on Creek Street and the water. Not too bad a price either. Ketch airport is not on the mainland, it is across the channel, so you have to take the ferry to get anything. It is not bad but it is a little bit of time, money and hassle. From the ferry dock it is a short walk, 1 mile, to a grocery story, auto parts store, and a little further to a hotel and restaurant. The hotel picked me up and a pretty, young lady named Aftan got me checked in. Next day was spent just bumming around Ketch. It is a neat town. Yeah it is touristy but still pretty cool. My first visitor for the season, Jay DeRosier arrived that evening, we got some dinner, and then checked the weather via the websites above and hit the sack.

6/3 Had breakfast at the Mermaid Cafe. They make a great breakfast and at a pretty reasonable price. Recommended. Then we went to get Jay a pair of waders. As noted Hip waders. He checked the fit of one and off we went. You know where this is going. When we got ready to land at the cabin he discovered he had two left feet. Yup.....LOL.....the waders were sealed in plastic so the mistake happened at the factory. It was entertaining to watch him with two left feet. Before he left we went back to the Tongas Trading Store (also recommended) and they made it right.....well at least one wader was made right.
So back to Ketch. It was still raining when we checked the wx so we needed a cabin that had a low entry. i.e. no high terrain between the ocean and the lake. Ceilings were pretty low so a ridge even 5 or 6 hundred feet could be a problem. We elected to go to the Big Shaheen Cabin as Jay had not been there. It is on Admirality Island. Probably my favorite island. It is a Nat'l Forest so no roads and no development. Just about all the cabins on Admirality are nice. Big Shaheen, Little Shaheen, Jims Lake, Alexander Lake, Sportsmans (now closed) are all good. Hasselborg is pretty rough - I do not recommend that one. Prince of Wales Island (POW) has a lot of development on it and a lot of the cabins are pretty rough. There are a couple of good ones but given a choice I will head to Admirality before POW most of the time.

DSCN1430.jpg

Coming into the Hasselborg cabin. Not much of a place to beach the plane and a lot of weeds and lilly pads on the entry.

DSCN1432.jpg

Inside the Hasselborg cabin. As noted it is pretty rough. There are only two cabins in the SE Forrest Service System that have a fireplace (not wood stove but a fireplace), the other is Turner Lake West Cabin - I will cover later.

DSCN1436.jpg

The bank next to the cabin drops off quite steep so you can't really beach here. If you pull the tail in you might damage your water rudders, you could go bows in maybe, or sideways as shown here, but you can see that just about puts the wing in your living room. So....given that the cabin is pretty rough (to its credit it is quite old, built in the 1930's, and historic) and there is not a great place for the plane.....I don't really recommend this cabin. But Jay and I only went to look. The Big Shaheen Cabin, our destination for the night, is on the same lake. The Hasselborg lake is quite large.

P1080588.jpg

The Big Shaheen Cabin. This one was also built in the 1930's but is in much better shape than the Hasselborg Cabin. This cabin has a lot going for it. Recommended. It is a (sorta) two bedroom so it gives a little privacy, and it could comfortably handle two couples. There is plenty of nice beach to park several floatplanes. There is another cabin, The Little Shaheen Cabin about 100 yards away, so this would be an ideal place for a larger gathering of say 4 floatplanes and 4 couples. Pretty good fishing here as well.

P1080580.jpg

Looking into the Big Shaheen Cabin. Nice beach for the airplane.

P1080582.jpg

Looking in to one of the two sleeping rooms in the cabin. Each room has 4 bunks so you could theoretically sleep 8 in this cabin. That would probably get pretty crowded. Use the Little Shaheen Cabin to spread out a little.

P1080583.jpg

Eating area in the cabin.

20170628_093142.jpg

Cooking area in the cabin. This cabin has an oil heat stove. You will need to bring stove oil (kerosene) if your cabin has an oil stove. All the cabins have a stove. Some are wood stoves, in which case the Forest Service Dept supplies the wood, you may have to split it. Please leave a nice supply for the next guest. I keep a 2.5 gallon plastic can of fuel oil in the float compartment. You can get stove oil in Juneau at the gas station right outside the FBO, also at the gas station in Petersburg. If you buy it at the grocery store they charge about 30 bucks for 2.5 gallons, at the gas station it is about 3 bucks a gallon. So make sure you don't get caught short. It takes about a gallon for an evening depending on how cold it is. Once you fill the hopper with what you think you will use you really can't get it back out so you end up leaving it for the next cabin occupant. Sometimes I have found a full hopper....that was nice, and sometimes I ended up filling much more than I used so I left it for the next guy. It all works out. I try not to leave a hopper empty. The next occupant might be wet and cold (accident maybe) and not have any fuel, and REALLY need that heat source. The oil stoves require less tending and provide a nice heat, but you really can't cook in one like you can a wood stove. The wood stoves are great for baked potatoes in the coals and are just much better for atmosphere. If you are bring a lady friend, find a cabin with a wood stove. You will thank me later.

IMG_23421.jpg

The view from the Big Shaheen Cabin. It does not get much better than that.

More to come

Bill

Nice to see a proper maintained accessible cabin (well except for that ramp grade but the accommodation is there) and remember we’re all just an accident or illness away from needing mobility assistance.

Back