• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Original Mooney 201 paint schemes

bob turner

I confess - I like Mooneys. The finest of the lot was the 201. Looking for photos of that elegant original scheme with two or three horizontal stripes swooping to vertical on the tail. Yes, I have checked Google, and found only one:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 938
Check on Mooneyspace, someone is bound to have it there. I too am a fan, they handle like a flying Porsche. If our turf strip was in better shape, I’d have an early E model sitting in the hangar.

From the inside,
IMG_2762.JPG

Circling Niagara,
IMG_0858.JPG

Outside,
IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG
Hope these help

Attachments

• IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2762.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 211
That is exactly the scheme that is on there now. Getting a little dog-eared lately. Here is what the paint guy recommended - I got acid reflux when I saw it!

"Like a flying Porsche" - I like that. I have only limited experience with high performance singles - a little time in the Extra 300 and some delightful experiences in the more nimble experimentals. But my opinion of the Mooney 201 is extremely high.

Three of us had a B model - a good ship that got me in and out of LAX every weeknight for two months. We sold it - I went to the airlines, and my partners got the 201 and a Cherokee Arrow. I got to fly both. The difference between the Cherokee and the Mooney was almost exactly like the difference between a schoolbus and a Porsche.

The Mooney can be flown like a Cub in the pattern, yet it will do 160 knots at 7500', hands off. The Cherokee can be driven - not flown - and maybe 120 knots on the same engine. What a piglet.

Opinion.

My old E model burns a half gph more than my ‘12 yet trues out at 175mph up at altitude. Yeah it’s cramped but fine for two people, or three with minimal bags. Nice airplane. Haven’t tried landing it on any gravel bars though...

That gear on the Mooney is not comfortable on the rough stuff. The trip those pictures were from was 2017 Oshkosh, the plane cruised 165ish knots on 6.5 Gal average. 3 adults with camping gear.

Not due to the performance or the product. It was just the new board at Porsche suddenly realized what it was on the hook for, both from a regulatory standpoint as well as product liability and wanted out. The product was in fact, very good. Electronic ignition and injection, single handle controll, started on a dime and gave 9 cents change. Not all of them were converted, some 50 were destroyed by a violent thunderstorm while awaiting conversion in FL.

Not all of them were converted, some 50 were destroyed by a violent thunderstorm while awaiting conversion in FL.

There were only 41 built, 18 still on register in USA, more in Germany. My understanding is they were good candidates for Rocket or Missile conversions in Spokane.

Back