• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

electric plane fleet??

Trucking industry is talking about doing the same. Depending on the mission it is a good plan if the battery issues are solved.
DENNY

Last edited:
And I suppose the FAA is going to grant immediate field approvals to all of these certified aircraft and they can get right to buisness transporting passengers��

he said. “It’s got very few moving parts and it doesn’t consume fossil fuel.”

Where does he think that his electricity is going to come from to refill his batteries?
:evil:

Might be hard to meet the CAA and FAA required reserve fuel needs if the batteries provide for "about an hour" of flight time with a ½ hr route. Am I right to assume said route is each way?

:roll:It's for sure interesting but with many obstacles, any aircraft they convert will be limited to the same operation as there won't be any ground support at other airports to re charge. for the price of a PT6 i don't think limiting your fleet to a single opp is a great idea. In Canada how will air temp effect batt charge? some days your good for an hour really cold days 45min? To keep the plane useful i would think a hybrid would be a better start over straight electric.

I'd love to jump ahead 100 years and see what people are up to...

sj

Is it April 1st already? That must be the April issue.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

sj
There have been great advances in battery technology in recent years, many more in the future. It'll happen, it's just a matter of when. People way smarter than any of us are working hard on it.

edit:
I almost forgot - happy Three Mile island day

he said. “It’s got very few moving parts and it doesn’t consume fossil fuel.”

Where does he think that his electricity is going to come from to refill his batteries?
:evil:

I get that all the time about my plug in Prius and my electric bikes. My own power comes from a large year round surplus I have stored as a credit with my local utility, the surplus is from my hydro electric plant, solar, and wind turbine. If it's winter, when my hydro is shutdown, maybe calm, and real cloudy, and my utility's hydro input is low, they might be sending me Wyoming coal produced electricity. It works just fine! The other extreme is when I plug in my electric fatbike and recharge it directly off the hydro's output, before it enters the grid. That day's ride will be 100% water and gravity powered, by the same snow I skied and skiplaned on earlier in the year. I do this because it's fun, I'm not trying to save the planet or some other nonsense, and I don't believe the world is going to end in 12 years either. When people assume I'm a flat out greenie because I drive a Prius and have a large alternative power system, they get real confused when I mention I am also a pilot who wastes as much gas as possible as often as possible, that really messes with their heads. You would not believe how we private pilots are reviled in some venues, not my problem but their's!

My own power comes from a large year round surplus I have stored as a credit with my local utility, the surplus is from my hydro electric plant, solar, and wind turbine.
You are an exception. Do you suppose this fellow who owns a fleet of Beavers and Otters will also build a large solar farm or hydroelectric plant to keep his fleet running? I'don't.

I'm also wondering what the weight advantage/penalty will be for removing a heavy P&W with it's liquid fuel weight and replacing that with an electric motor and batteries. Will the useful load go up or down?

The future of STOL competition planes may be electric. New lightweight batteries and lightweight motors with gobs of torque could be fun. Efficiency and range will come with development. The world is changing. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

You are an exception. Do you suppose this fellow who owns a fleet of Beavers and Otters will also build a large solar farm or hydroelectric plant to keep his fleet running? I'don't.

I'm also wondering what the weight advantage/penalty will be for removing a heavy P&W with it's liquid fuel weight and replacing that with an electric motor and batteries. Will the useful load go up or down?

I would not expect a 750HP electric motor will not be trivial weight but there are performance cars with this power from multiple motors. Their batteries weigh better part of a ton for a 40 min performance drive.
Curious what battery life is from say a 500hp departure and a 300hp cruise.

Last edited:

sj

I watched the Jetsons as a kid ( over 50+ years ago) except for the easy access to the interweb not as much has changed as one would have dreamed back then.

Glenn

Much of British Columbia is run on Hydro.

A lot of hydro in Washington too, but certain elements would like to get rid of it.
They've succeeded in some areas.
The same elements are throwing roadblocks in the way of tidal power.
They're not too fond of wind power either, and OMG don't even mention nuclear power!
Solar is about the only one that seems to be politically acceptable.

Harbour Air is going to have to play catch up to beat me to the electric Beaver. Eh.IMG_20190328_101114.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190328_101114.jpg
    IMG_20190328_101114.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Those of you who have pinned the pedal to the floor from a dead stop in a Tesla know that electric is the future for a large portion of transportation. I was a “No way will electric ever..BLAH, BLAH, BLAH”. Then I drove a buddy’s Tesla. I’m here to tell you, Just go drive one and see for yourself....

I don't believe that anyone has ever question the power of the electric motors. The question is the source and quantity as well as replenishment of the electricity. Then when it is in an airplane there is a weight consideration along with duration.

Back