Thread: Super Cub Rental thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Super Cub Rental thoughts?

I"m thinking about renting my PA-18 with 31 inch tundra tires out either on wheels or EDO-2000 floats this summer. I'm open for any deals anyone might have.
    Avemco said I can add someone onto the policy no problems - maybe two a summer - but after that I become an aviation business.
    So i'm thinking someone who might rent it for a week or a month.
    perhaps 40 hours time - used over 3 weeks might work at $150 an hour - so $6,000 plus they pay for gas. Am I nuts thinking someone might pay this?
    I have a lake house in Gray maine which could be used as a home base for exploring maine. Spend 3 weeks or a month exploring new england lakes and maybe canada.
    what do cubs rent for in Alaska by the hour? dry.

if you know of anyone interested in spending time in Maine this summer who might want to rent my cub please send them my way.

Cliff Dow Jr
    207-329-9468
    cdowjr@yahoo.com
    N82225

Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff, I moved this to the classifieds area.

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff,

All you need to do is look at insurance actuarials on rentals, and how people treat rentals. And, do you seriously think if someone were to be killed in your plane while it was rented out that the survivors won’t blow through the insurance (can you even get more than $1 million coverage? You think that’s enough?) coverage and come after you if someone is hurt?

So, yes, if you’re considering this route, you’re nuts, but not for the reason you noted.

And, I doubt anyone in their right mind in Alaska rents out Cubs for solo ops. When I instructed in my 170 on floats in AK, NO insurance company would insure the plane for solo rentals, even by certificated pilots.

in the lower 48, Chandler Aviation in Chandler, AZ used to offer training in Super Cubs and Huskys, including rental, though I don’t know if they still do. Might give them a call.

But there’s no way I’d rent out an airplane of mine, for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is you’ll lose money, due to repairs and wear and tear. Emphasis on tear.

MTV
    Last edited by mvivion; 05-25-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    Thanks Bowie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On the other hand, I did quite well leasing back a super cub for many years to a flight school to do tailwheel endorsements. I was covered under their fleet policy though of course and there were some special "hoops" if the plane left the school for more than a certain amount of days.

However, this was NOT in Alaska...

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff, let me have it for a week and I'll put together a pictured travel brochure with hotspots to see for your future clients :- )

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SJ;719384]On the other hand, I did quite well leasing back a super cub for many years to a flight school to do tailwheel endorsements. I was covered under their fleet policy though of course and there were some special "hoops" if the plane left the school for more than a certain amount of days.

However, this was NOT in Alaska...

sj[/QUOTE

But, in that case, you put the flight school, and their insurance/liability between you and the renter. At least one more veil of liability.... maybe not a big deal. But, very few insurance companies will issue a policy on these things with more than $1 million liability coverage. If someone is hurt or heaven forbid, killed, it wouldn't take long to blow through that $1 mill and come after the owner.

As always, if nothing bad happens, nothing bad will happen.

MTV
    Thanks Bowie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My Cub was on leaseback from roughly 1985 through 2002, although I wasn't the owner most of that time. We did a lot of tailwheel endorsements, and a pilot could fly it without an instructor after checkout. I made a lot of beautiful Colorado mountain flights in it. 8.50 x 6 wheels were on it then, with Cleveland brakes and strengthened cabane vee. Other than that, it was stock L21B. TO and Landings were mostly on pavement.

It was groundlooped at least 4 times over that 17 year period, and bent the rear spar twice. An owner took out a runway light with the tail. There were uncounted off runway excursions. The groundloop behavior might have been aggravated by the L21 gear, which used a shorter strut to create positive camber, so heavy Air Force guys could fly it.

Back in the 90s, commercial insurance was reasonable cost. Not anymore.

In any case, I would not rent out a nice Cub to the general pilot population. I definitely would not use Bushwheels on a rental Cub. If you have a specific 2-3 people in mind, consider creating a corporation for a club. It doesn't have to be equal ownership.
    Idaho drinks more wine per person than any other state in the country.
    Thanks windy, barrow pilot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was pondering a float plane to rent some years back.

My insurance agent then, one I had for years and trusted to give me solid advice, simply said "It is a stupid idea and you can not insure yourself enough to cover the risk."

Essentially, what Mike said!

Remember, lots of damage can be done to an aircraft without you knowing it for a long time. Hard landings cracking attach points, wear on the fittings, engine damage due to heavy handed throttle use on cold engines... it goes on.

If you have someone you trust and want to make a deal to let them use it, go for it. But as a commercial venture- not if you are collectable.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OVEREASYGUY View Post
    I"m thinking about renting my PA-18 with 31 inch tundra tires out either on wheels or EDO-2000 floats this summer. I'm open for any deals anyone might have.
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    I was pondering a float plane to rent some years back.

Remember, lots of damage can be done to an aircraft without you knowing it for a long time. Hard landings cracking attach points, wear on the fittings, engine damage due to heavy handed throttle use on cold engines... it goes on.
    Cliff,
    Do you expect to use the airplane and expect it to be in as good condition at the end of the summer as it is now? Do you expect that the renters will treat it as though it is their own pride and joy? Even though the renter demonstrates a quality check out, do you expect that with no reservations he will use superior judgement when out of your sight? Are you financially sound enough to throw away the airplane? Do you expect to earn enough to pay for the increase in your insurance premium? I did this years ago. Three float planes with the result, one with a broken spar, next one with two broken spars and a twisted fuselage and the third with the floats ripped off, broken wing and the fuselage tail cone bent 90 degrees.
    If you want my opinion, It is a dumb idea! Oh did another with dual only, one customer paid with a rubber check.
    N1PA
    Thanks Bassackwards, Bowie thanked for this post
    Likes Chogf22 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian lost 2 or 3 cubs in the solo rental process. Even if you cherry pick those that you feel wont twist it, the business proposition I am told can be a real roller coaster ride. There are to my knowledge almost no solo rental PA-18's in MN, AK,. This tells me something.
    http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...264#post597264
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff, would you be interested in renting out seaplane dock space at your lake house in Grey instead of renting the Super Cub? I have a PA-18 and live in Westbrook- would love to put it on floats but location has been the limiting factor

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org