• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Snow machining in Alaska

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
My son and I would like to come to Alaska next year and go on a snowmachining ride of maybe several hundred miles. Any such event taking place every year? Or other snowmachining adventures?

Another option is to ride out to a remote lodge and base out of there for a while as you explore the area and come back to a meal and a bed every night. Not exactly roughing it, but it can be a fun way to see some new country. I make a trip out to Alpine Creek Lodge every year, and the riding out there is pretty fantastic - everything from mountain riding to boondocking in the lowlands. Good bird hunting, possibility of good predator hunting, endless amounts of quiet, empty land to explore. It's a 65 mile ride there from either Paxson or Cantwell, and you could easily rack up many hundreds of miles over the course of a few days.

Or if you want a point A-B ride, the trail class of the Iron Dog would be a pretty cool adventure.

I will second the Trek over the top!!!

That said, how old is your son, and are you bringing sleds or need to rent?

Do you want to ride trails, climb mountains, travel distance, party at night, hunt where you go???

Feed more info and we can get more specific about stuff.

One caution about the Irondog- some years the trail sucks, and is more of an endurance ride to thrash sleds. The Trek is more groomed than not, but is only a weekend.

Another event wold the the Alcan 200 if you like speed. It is here in Haines, we get the highway closed for 100 miles that day and race on the road. Good time with a lake race the next day.

My son is middle aged. We are "mountain" riders here in NW Montana. That lodge deal sounds good to me if we could get in some mountain riding and some flatland. We have newer sleds and I would like to ride our own but the logistics of flying up there and renting are appealing. But we would need to be able to rent "mountain" sleds and not touring sleds. Like Skidoo 850 165 or 175s Summit type of sleds. But if not we would trailer up there. Alaska is such a GREAT STATE. We've floated some rivers up there bou & moose hunting and I flew to OTZ a few years ago, via my super cub, and picked my son up and flew out and landed on some gravel bars and hunted bou. What a place! And now to go snowmachining up there would really expand our experiences up there!

Back