Thread: Garmin G3X Touch Approved!

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin G3X Touch Approved!

Game changer! And they recently got approval for their autopilot as well.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/av...icI_7pSuPjPi3w

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/682215
    Last edited by stewartb; 03-25-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    Thanks 46 Cub thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, flylow, Nolan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Game changer indeed!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're a Cessna owner don't be discouraged by the small Cessna list, look under Textron.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend who has been saving up for a G1000 for his C172 (180 hp CS prop). I keep telling him to wait for the G3X to find its way into certified. He just rolls his eyes.

Now I can tell him to quit waiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    The STC model requires installation by a Garmin dealer. While the $13,500.00 price tag for the large GDU and EIS package is really fair the installation is going to add to that significantly. Maybe Garmin is going to provide factory made wiring harnesses? Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    The STC model requires installation by a Garmin dealer. While the $13,500.00 price tag for the large GDU and EIS package is really fair the installation is going to add to that significantly. Maybe Garmin is going to provide factory made wiring harnesses? Time will tell.
    Im betting you’d almost double that $13,500 with Garmin approved install.

Cool stuff out there now, though. If Dynon improves their AML, there’ll be some competition.

MTV
    Likes mike mcs repair, electricsnail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Im betting you’d almost double that $13,500 with Garmin approved install.

Cool stuff out there now, though. If Dynon improves their AML, there’ll be some competition.

MTV
    I'm not a dealer, but I'm at quite a few hours into a install on an experimental GX3 touch system, but allot of that time was studying, pulling out the pertainate(sp?) info making wiring labels/coherent descriptions spreadsheet & printing out, to build the harness....

so the next time(s) should be easier/faster I assume(almost 1000 pages of manual to sift through..)

this is second one I've been involved in(first was stewarts, (but the avionics shop built the basic bare harness for that one($6000++), I just finished hooking the other ends up to the sensors etc(except they were poorly labeled and i still had to go research the wiring diagrams on ever step)... this one is ALL the steps/harness)

I wonder what it takes to become a dealer? if that's whats required to install them(STC'd)???

the dealer up here is many months out/backlogged... it is only reason I got talked into doing it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    I'm not a dealer, but I'm at quite a few hours into a install on an experimental GX3 touch system, but allot of that time was studying, pulling out the pertainate(sp?) info making wiring labels/coherent descriptions spreadsheet & printing out, to build the harness....

so the next time(s) should be easier/faster I assume(almost 1000 pages of manual to sift through..)

this is second one I've been involved in(first was stewarts, (but the avionics shop built the basic bare harness for that one($6000++), I just finished hooking the other ends up to the sensors etc(except they were poorly labeled and i still had to go research the wiring diagrams on ever step)... this one is ALL the steps/harness)

I wonder what it takes to become a dealer? if that's whats required to install them(STC'd)???

the dealer up here is many months out/backlogged... it is only reason I got talked into doing it...
    How many hours would you guess to install?

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    How many hours would you guess to install?

MTV
    Ask me again in a week or so and I will have the answer Waiting on parts at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the G3X and the Dynon this past summer at Oshkosh. My eyes seemed to like the Dynon better. I'm in the final stages of completing an airplane project and have been trying to decide between the two. Since this is experimental, no worries on certification issues. No offense meant towards Garmin but having owned several Garmin products over the years, they are great but seem to reach a point that Garmin no longer supports them. Granted, it is generally many years, but as I get older, those years sure seem to fly by at a much faster pace!!

As MTV stated, Dynon has several planes already on their list and hopefully they will add more. Maybe this competition will lower prices a bit and give us more options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Several? Meaning one? Or did the Bonanza add happen taking it to two?

My perspective as a G3X owner? G3Xpert email tech support has been a very helpful resource. Will their products evolve? They already have. The G3X is a modular system. My GDL39R and my remote transponder have been superceded. Someday those boxes won't be supported but newer, better components will be available.

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Several? Meaning one? Or did the Bonanza add happen taking it to two?

My perspective as a G3X owner? G3Xpert email tech support has been a very helpful resource. Will their products evolve? They already have. The G3X is a modular system. My GDL39R and my remote transponder have been superceded. Someday those boxes won't be supported but newer, better components will be available.
    If you are referring to my comment, no Bonanza for me! I've had several handheld Garmin units, half a dozen +/- . Not that many mounted units. The handheld ones are the ones that I have had end up being boat anchors. Only current Garmin units are com and transponder in my Rebel. Hence my comments, not sure if I will be putting a G3X or Dynon in. Heck, maybe just use a tablet!!