• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Husky A-1 project

john schwamm

SPONSOR
Anchorage, Alaska Carefree, AZ
New Husky just finished in Anchorage. Goal was to make as light as possible, came in at 1271 lbs, more than we hoped, but if done without the extended cub gear/AOSS, big tires it would have been closer to 1200 lbs.
Mods done listed below:

Fabric on fuselage like cub, eliminated most stock metal panels
Titanium firewall
Battery mounted inside cabin on firewall
Delta spades on ailerons/like power steering
Carbon fiber tailspring
Carbon fiber nosebowl
Carbon fiber wingtips/2 lbs each
Carbon fiber interior panels, floorboards, inst panel
LED lights
Folding front seatback
Flaps extended to fuselage/like cub mod
Custom cooling plenum
Big baggage side door, wide open from rear seat back. Almost to tail. carbon fiber panels
Skylight over rear seat, similar to L21 cub style
Lower clear door
MT Ultra prop/ custom spinner/MT prop gov
Extended cub gear/AOSS, safety cables
Shown with 29" Bushwheels, they look too small going to 35's next week
Pad mounted alternator on rear accessory case
Lightened and shaved pulley on flywheel
Flame tubes removed from exhaust
Custom rear seat heat/fresh air
ADS-B, 796, Garmin G5

Not a cub, but tried to make it light and still go faster than cub.
All work done by Whitewings Aircraft, Lake Hood.

John

Attachments

• new husky.jpg
    new husky.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 596
  • new husky 3.jpg
    new husky 3.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 467
  • new husky 2.jpg
    new husky 2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 447
  • new husky 4.jpg
    new husky 4.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 460
  • Husky panel.jpg
    Husky panel.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Reactions: KEB
Best looking Cubsky I've ever seen. Great paint job. Looks like an airplane not a gang bangers Mazda. (Where do they get those silly paint schemes for airplanes? Seems like an epidemic, even on biplanes)

New Husky just finished in Anchorage. Goal was to make as light as possible, came in at 1271 lbs, more than we hoped, but if done without the extended cub gear/AOSS, big tires it would have been closer to 1200 lbs.
Mods done listed below:

Fabric on fuselage like cub, eliminated most stock metal panels
Titanium firewall
Battery mounted inside cabin on firewall
Delta spades on ailerons/like power steering
Carbon fiber tailspring
Carbon fiber nosebowl
Carbon fiber wingtips/2 lbs each
Carbon fiber interior panels, floorboards, inst panel
LED lights
Folding front seatback
Flaps extended to fuselage/like cub mod
Custom cooling plenum
Big baggage side door, wide open from rear seat back. Almost to tail. carbon fiber panels
Skylight over rear seat, similar to L21 cub style
Lower clear door
MT Ultra prop/ custom spinner/MT prop gov
Extended cub gear/AOSS, safety cables
Shown with 29" Bushwheels, they look too small going to 35's next week
Pad mounted alternator on rear accessory case
Lightened and shaved pulley on flywheel
Flame tubes removed from exhaust
Custom rear seat heat/fresh air
ADS-B, 796, Garmin G5

Not a cub, but tried to make it light and still go faster than cub.
All work done by Whitewings Aircraft, Lake Hood.

John
By golly that is a 1st Class job John.
Very sharp looking bird! Classy paint.
Congrats on a great projects compleation. [emoji6]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

If ACA was smart they would do the same with the Scout. Slim it down in weight. Nice work John

John,

Incredible job! Only drawback is you might not want to get that plane dirty.
If you do put 35s on, let us know your cruise speed.

v/r
Bryan

Bryan,
I did coat the Husky with ceramic coating so bugs will not stick, sure makes it slick to the touch. takes multiple processes to get it all on, but worth the effort.
Thanks all for the nice comments, we are pretty proud of the finished product.
Paint scheme needed to be simple and clean, Starr's cover and paint made it perfect.
John

Last edited:
Looks very nice. I like the idea of fabric instead of the many aluminum panels they come with.

What more ore can you tell us about a carbon fiber tail spring? It has to be a lot lighter than the Pawnee spring on my Cub.

Made by Husky owner in Germany, it is certified for skis and approved when on wheels too. Very light, have had them on another Husky too. He makes new one out of steel, but 1.2 lbs lighter in carbon fiber. Both one piece springs.
John

John,
Looks great! Can we see more interior photos? I would really like to see the cargo area from the back of the rear seat toward the tail.
Thanks,
Joe

Early shots of interior and baggage, interior panels lining the baggage are now carbon fiber floor and sides.
Makes for big open baggage area.
John

Stewart,
Thanks. Have to admit we 'cheated' a bit on the floor panels, they are actually Kevlar as you see if pics, but we had them hydrographically coated to look like the carbon fiber panels on the sides rather than make all new. That water transfer printing is like magic.
Hope your new engine is coming soon for summer, heard maybe waiting for cylinders. Hope it shows soon, summer is on its way early up north.
John

John,

So you moved the flap pulley and cables. Great idea, I’ve never understood why Aviat doesn’t do that.

MTV

Mike, Really simple reroute and opens up the area behind seat for extended baggage type use. Aviat probably does not really think of useful mods until years later, cubs try everything and have them all!!! We just used many cub mods and worked them into Husky where it made sense. Husky site has minimal interest in the mods, so I posted this on the cub site. One was excellent quote, Cubsky!!
John

I currently own a Husky and I would kill for your baggage door and cargo area. Did you get a field approval on moving the flap cable? If yes, is there any chance I could get a copy of it?

Joe

John,

Fly it to Afton and show Stu what he is missing out on! Your airplane is incredible! BIG kudos to Starr!

Kurt

I currently own a Husky and I would kill for your baggage door and cargo area. Did you get a field approval on moving the flap cable? If yes, is there any chance I could get a copy of it?

Joe
Minor mods, no field approval.
John

It's a beautiful airplane. You need some pics with the AK Husky and the Cub, which is also a good looking plane, against a dramatic background. Poster material! :up:up:up

For perspective on spinner height, my grandson Anderson is 6'1" standing next to the Husky. He just got his A & P at age 19.
Helped on Husky build.
Husky will just launch at the right angle with the 35's, full flap, full power, off with no tail lift needed in Husky. Flaps have all lift on Husky's for launch.
John

It's a beautiful airplane. You need some pics with the AK Husky and the Cub, which is also a good looking plane, against a dramatic background. Poster material! :up:up:up

Stewart, we will get some good shots in the bush this summer with Husky and Cub, great pair with both on 35's!
Thanks,
John

Back