• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

180 lbs. baggage, 3rd person STC

Looking for information on the STC for 180 lbs. baggage, 3rd person. I thought Ron Sullivan (day and night) had one but the phone number will not work. I have a Univair fuselage that had there "reinforced baggage floor and tie downs" installed that I thought was approved for more weight but it is not. The structure modification is approved as per there blueprint as is there "sleeping compartment" but they do not have any approval for use as 180 lbs. 3rd person or use of sleeping compartment for baggage. Atlee's big baggage appears to be the same type of modified structure as Univair's sleeping compartment with the added tabs for the rear panel. You would think Univair would have done the work to get these mods useable but they have not. Think twice before having these mods done by Univair. I should have had the STC'd mods installed not there unusable ones.

you as the installing mechanic define what weight your installation(floor strength) is approved for and placard accordingly... no STC needed.... thats just an easy way to get some paperwork...

you would only need a STC to change the CG envelope range, but as long as you are staying within the original envelope it minor...

or was how my FAA explained it to me when I asked for a field approval when I added a extended baggage in a scout(bolt in installation), and taught me how I should be doing it to avoid getting a field approval, this was back when they were trying to ween us off of trying to get a field approval for things that really don't need one....

Thanks Mike. I am the mechanic and finally got my airworthiness certificate I guess it's up to me. I'm so conditioned to bowing down to the Feds. I think I may just put things back in that I had to take out to get the certificate. My only concern is if I sold it and some other IA deemed it as approved unapproved.

Borer and Sullivan both have stc’s for that I think- I have contact info for Roger’s daughter and Ron if you want it...

Back