Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found another cub.

Post Thanks / Like

Found another cub.

It took a year and a few compromises but I flew home a new ride today, so you all can stop sending me links of planes to look at. I still look.

PIcked up a rebuilt Wag Aero Cub/Acro Trainer down in Kentucky. It's a bit unique as while the the Airworthiness still says that, it had it's wings rebuilt shorter, added flaps, and made removable by someone 3 owners ago. The story is the owner trailered it behind his RV, then put the wings on and flew around taking photos before driving to the next stop.

Anyhow, my ride down fell through and it was a bit of a time crunch so I hopped a last minute United flight and got down there. Did as good of an inspection as I could without being able to bring the right tools on a commercial flight, but it did include removing a wing to inspect the mounting bolts, hence how I found out the story above about the earlier owner.

According to Inreach, I flew it 682 miles, 7 hrs of flight time, and 8-ish hours total if we include the two fuel stops and lack of lunch.

Dodged the typical snow squall by John Grahams so I couldn't stop and visit, and dodged another one in Central NY, which was very deja vu of my last "new airplane" trip home. But aside from a sore a$$ from the west wind pushing me all over, It went from a nice hangar to a, well, more blue collar one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 7.03.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	42008

Name:	IMG_3901.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	42009

Name:	IMG_3913.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	42010

Name:	IMG_3922.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	42011

Name:	0kFI0X8eSB6lAVQ3hkyl2w.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	42012

O-290D, 125hp - two 14 gallon wing tanks, 3 gal header tank. Wood wings, flaps, long ailerons, die spring shocks, currently has a Warp drive prop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and for those without heat... here's a photo of how much I needed to pull it on for the entire ride home. That 5/16" prevented my shoes from melting.

Name:	+6xCD3zAQOyZUabZI8ET0g.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	42013

Post Thanks / Like
    Cruising speed? Looks very nice. Is it true that experimental Cubs cost more?

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright Peter!! Good for you. Zulu Romeo will be happy in the NE skies.
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete, Congrats on the new ride!!

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to see this too! I've been pulling for you to get back into some sort of cub.

It looks really nice--it spurs me on to get back to work on mine.

Vic

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking bird, can't wait to hear how she flies once you get a chance to wring her out a bit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Farmboy, enjoyed talking with you the other day. Looks like you got a goodbuy.
    Likes Tbag, Bommer, Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice airplane. I saw that cub on an airstrip near Lexington,KY a few years ago. Experimental cubs are the best if you are not planning on any commercial flying. Less government involvement is always a good thing.
    Likes Farmboy, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    All right Pete, congrats. Now all your bird dogs can lay down.
    Speaking of bird dogs, you should check with the pheasant king in VT

i think he has an 0-290 engine caught up in the cleanup getting a place ready for his new baby. Out with the old kinda deal

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    All right Pete, congrats. Now all your bird dogs can lay down.
    Speaking of bird dogs, you should check with the pheasant king in VT

i think he has an 0-290 engine caught up in the cleanup getting a place ready for his new baby. Out with the old kinda deal

jim
    I do I do. 0-290D2 core, running well when removed for 0-320 install on my Pacer 30+ years ago.
    Congratulations Peter.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Pete, I know how happy you must be. Not having an airplane is the pits.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    What the heck is that gameboy thing on the left of the panel? Seems high tech for an old farmer.
    Likes 40m, Farmboy, cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter,
    As soon as I saw the first photo in the text messages yesterday of the instrument panel I knew something was up . Glad to see you in the air again. Chip

Post Thanks / Like

Found another cub.

Lol, good catch Dave. I spent a lot of time watching it on the ride, but as I told Cruiser, I didnít push any buttons...

In all fairness itís appears to be a pretty sweet little engine monitor. JPI VM 1000c, thereís a YouTube video or two on it. I had wondered when the last owner suggested cruise settings like 21.6... not expecting to have a manifold pressure gauge in a low power cub.

Bob, little tough to tell yet as I was getting pushed from just after takeoff all the way, but with little tires it may be 90+. The airspeed indicator does need some calibrating, as it kept showing speeds higher than ground speed, while going downwind.

It needs some changes and inspections before getting wrung out too much.
    Front seat is low, even with a booster cushion. A new seat with a taller leanback will fix it.
    Brake cables are a bit close to the rudder pedals so your feet catch them. Should be an easy adjustment.
    Control stick is short, giving a heavy feel to the controls and hard to be precise with elevator. (3 landings and only the last one was an acceptable one) A new stick will fix it, but a little less cable tension and some lube on the push pull tube bell cranks in the wings will go a long way.
    Brakes are clocked wrong and only one somewhat works, seems be to Grove and Cleveland. Have to sort that out.
    And while it sounded fine in Kentucky after flying for hours the WOT throttle setting for takeoff/climb seemed noisy/not right. Flying commercial down I couldnít take the boroscope and leak down kit, so Iíll do that now. The 290d has solid lifters that are supposed to checked every 100 hrs, I didnít see any logbook entries stating specifically it was done, so could be their a bit loose when hot. Cruising at 21.5-22Ē and 2280-2350 rpm all seems normal.
    Maybe plugs, carbon, carb, valves.

I also know nothing about the Warp Drive other than its usually seen on a Rotax. I may go to a ga Sensenich like I did before.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    I carry tools on the airlines, you just have to check them and you usually get one of those TSA inspection cards inside letting you know how safe your tool bag is now.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks Farmboy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Found another cub.

On another note, I have electric flaps operated by a three button switch pad that are easily preset to any position. Typically you would set 1 as full up, 3 as full down, and 2 at halfway. Well full down is like freaking vertical barn doors, so I set 3 at what Appears to be a normal flap angle. When deployed, it causes tremendous buffeting to the tail, which the short stick transfers easily to your hand. So I can make it less, but does anyone run out of elevator due to flap turbulence?

Post Thanks / Like
    I also know nothing about the Warp Drive other than its usually seen on a Rotax. I may go to a ga Sensenich like I did before.

Welcome to Smiling Jims used propeller Shop
    Kindly direct your attention to the classified adds for a wide selection including a like new sensenich ground adjustable. Here at Smiling Jims we have paper airplanes for the kids. Bring the missus for a glass of wine in the hangar
    see you soon!

Likes FdxLou, 39-J3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, Iíve seen that smile before Jim! Due to my relationship with Sensenich I believe they have something they are cooking up with me in mind. We will see...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Lol, Iíve seen that smile before Jim! Due to my relationship with Sensenich I believe they have something they are cooking up with me in mind. We will see...

Not sure you want a "Ground Adjustable" that gets adjusted like the last one More civilized to use tools to change pitch.

That said, congratulations! Glad you are an aviator again, and I expect a ride in that girl at the WAD!

Now the bad: downgrade sir, you are flying the same color as Tom Ford and Uncle Eaton!!! Best find a good attorney as you will be blamed for ALL the troubles

Don't panic on the TV screen stuff. Learn to look for changes and it will go fine.

Enjoy learning a new plane. My bet you will find the wood wings are a great ride, and soon you won't be able to get out as the smile will be wider than the door.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes 40m, RaisedByWolves, Farmboy, cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    ...The airspeed indicator does need some calibrating, as it kept showing speeds higher than ground speed, while going downwind.
    When deployed, it causes tremendous buffeting to the tail, which the short stick transfers easily to your hand. So I can make it less, but does anyone run out of elevator due to flap turbulence?
    Peter, Send me some pictures of the trailing edge of the wing in front of the flaps in both up and down positions including a side view. Also your pitot and static tube/ports.
    We will come up with a solution.
    N1PA
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Not sure you want a "Ground Adjustable" that gets adjusted like the last one More civilized to use tools to change pitch.

That said, congratulations! Glad you are an aviator again, and I expect a ride in that girl at the WAD!

Now the bad: downgrade sir, you are flying the same color as Tom Ford and Uncle Eaton!!! Best find a good attorney as you will be blamed for ALL the troubles

Don't panic on the TV screen stuff. Learn to look for changes and it will go fine.

Enjoy learning a new plane. My bet you will find the wood wings are a great ride, and soon you won't be able to get out as the smile will be wider than the door.
    I see no problem at all with another white and red airplane with big tires
    Likes N9PW liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    hahaha, plausible deniably all the way! My guess is that even a cessna pilot could tell ours apart Tom!
    But I heard red was the new yellow...

Post Thanks / Like
    I got blamed in MA over the summer, brian was out in his husky.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to sell a yellow one just to save from being blamed again for one of NY G's indiscretions at 6B0.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!
    Likes Farmboy, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    I had to sell a yellow one just to save from being blamed again for one of NY G's indiscretions at 6B0.
    My wife was driving those times

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 40m, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Control stick is short, giving a heavy feel to the controls and hard to be precise with elevator. ......, but a little less cable tension and some lube on the push pull tube bell cranks in the wings will go a long way.
    Install one of these in each aileron hinge hanger to reduce the stick loads on the ailerons. If not in each hangar just the one where the control horn is. Loosening the cables will make the controls a bit sloppy.

N1PA
    Likes TurboBeaver, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thatís always a good idea Pete, but I learned last year there was a difference between a tight cable, a well adjusted one, and a sloppy one. It seems the tight ones increase drag from every pulley.
    With the push pull tubes on the wings the only cables are in the cockpit so itíll be easy to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post

George, the first one was mismarked which lead to a breakdown in communication. But still light years ahead of trying to deal with Nicole. The corrected ones worked excellent.

For those that didnít know, The GA Sensenich uses a pitch pin to set angle - insert pin, twist to touch, and torque bolts - only thing faster would be a constant speed.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone
    Likes super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You did mention tubes in the wings. I did not realize that you meant all the way from the root outboard. All of the pulleys in my Cub have ball bearings instead of bushings. That could be a future project for you to change over.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like

Found another cub.

Yup, if I build one it would be that way with needle bearings Pete, I’m a lover of smooth controls.

Jim and I stopped out this afternoon to look at a few things, and sure enough if we were musical we could probably pluck a tune on the aileron cables. Had to pull up the floor to find the turnbuckle but I’ll back that off a touch and see if I can disengage the pulley-friction-wing-leveler. Pretty confident that will make it 80% better.

For fun I measured the flaps. Full range down was about 60 degrees, and I had set them about 50.
    I reset them to 36 degrees so there will be less buffering now, and the midstep at 17.

Probably from that buffeting it sounds like there is some broken stitching on the stab’s, so I’ll have to address that too.

Jim thought it was a worthwhile purchase, but wasn’t ready to trade straight up for it. Lol.

Last edited by Farmboy; 03-20-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For fun I measured the flaps. Full range down was about 70 degrees, and I had set them about 60.
    I reset them to 50 degrees so there will be less buffering now, and the misstep at 20.
    Just send me the pictures for more detail as I believe that I see your buffeting problem. The fix is easy. And it has nothing to do with the flap deflection. Mine go down 56 degrees with no trace of a buffet.
    N1PA
    Likes TurboBeaver, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you! Canít wait to see her!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    Ken Cornell

Post Thanks / Like
    On another note, I have electric flaps operated by a three button switch pad

My guess is that this allows you to keep your shoes on to count positions?

Now, if you were a true cub pilot, you would add a 4th position to separate the second and third

How about a picture of you flying this beautiful plane? Suspect you would have more fun than working on it!!
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Isn't that why all the Cubs in Montana are painted the same? Funny how much Hartman gets around.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Found another cub.

Will do Pete.

Not much flying yet George. Big X on the strip due to mudseason, and need to address the few important issues before exploring more of its personality.

Likes aktango58 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a couple of X's last week, but they were on top of tractors near a barn at Uncle Eaton's.

keep us posted!
    Likes 40m, CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Peter! Looks great!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Tore apart some things today, adjusted the aileron cables, scoped the engine, checked the valves, put the big boy sneakers on. It's a start.

Name:	57479007031__830A7021-D44C-442B-8DAC-A3A9BF89E593.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	42060

Name:	57479007885__D9FF86AA-FA0F-4F8E-BF44-6732D592F591.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	42061

Name:	4yNjbzm5SnanyGWrojE13g.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	42062
    Last edited by Farmboy; 03-20-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    Likes 40m, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Are brake pedal arms available in different widths between brake pedal and cable arm, or do most just build to suit? More so with the left one, but my shoe does not fit between the brake pedal and the arm, so as I push on the left rudder, you can watch the brake pedal move because the outside of my instep is catching the bolt/nut/cable/top of arm. It appears as though these are quite narrow if my memory serves me right.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2f7e.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	42063
    Last edited by Farmboy; 03-20-2019 at 09:13 PM.