• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dynafocal mount ring

CharlieN

Down low in the hills of Vermont USA
I have an engine mount ring here from a Beech Skipper that carried an O-235. This utilized 2½" mounts to carry the engine.
All the larger engines commonly mount with 2¾" Lord mounts.
I know engine swaps have been done putting O-320 on with the smaller rubber mounts but what are some thoughts of mounting an O-360 with the smaller cushions?
My gut feeling is to not use this mount ring.

What experience and opinions are out there about this?

if needed i have 2 mounts for 0360 1 came off a cub crafters exp with oil cooler mounted to it and the other i think is a wag aero

Dyna focal 001.jpgDyna focal 005.jpgI build my own rings but have used the aircraft spruce ring for customers. I like to use the Lord aerobatic cup since its smaller and much more rigid.

Attachments

• Dyna focal 001.jpg
    Dyna focal 001.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 286
  • Dyna focal 005.jpg
    Dyna focal 005.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 234
Is that Aerobatic cup in the 2½ size? if it is that would be the answer for the BE77 donor ring I have been sitting on for decades. I need to check locally if there is a case I can borrow to jig the mount as you are doing since i would like to position the case on my build table to tack everything together.

Dyna focal 007.jpgNot in the shop right now or I would measure. 2 1/2 sounds bigger than what I use. Check out spruce part #08-03600. They are "homebuilders special" mounts. The cups in the picture I make off the Pitts print and put my own twist on them. They are easy lathe work from tubing and flat stock. The steel bushing in the pic is what I use for jigging, they simulate a compressed rubber mount. If you have a ring you find acceptable for your application I would go with it. The ring and ring kit spruce sells is asian sourced. The steel has that look under the hood when welding. Plenty good for non high G airplane. I don't have any fancy equipment so I still build mounts on the airframe. I get the best accuracy that way. I keep telling myself this is my last one but dam if I didn't also build a conical for this same airframe recently.

Attachments

• Dyna focal 007.jpg
    Dyna focal 007.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 232
Spruce is stating 2" on that aerobatic mount, seems small but may well allow for use of the BE77 ring I have.

Back