• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Darn C-180 insurance just jumped up

My Alaska-based 180 liability is over double that. Total premium is $3900.00. My policy went down $1000.00 this year and the only difference I can think of is it's now in a hangar.

D
My Alaska-based 180 liability is over double that. Total premium is $3900.00. My policy went down $1000.00 this year and the only difference I can think of is it's now in a hangar.

I am also wheels only and off airport approved, not sure if skis figure in or not. I know I pay about 250 more for the extra pilots. I get a very small deduct for hangaring.

sj

And, the ratio between liability and combined hull/liability is the same between what you noted and what Steve noted......The only difference is each is twice as high in Alaska. Which shouldn't surprise anyone.

MTV

My C-180 insurance for 120K hull just went from 1995 to 2403. Are you all seeing this or is it because I am 71 years young?

My C-180 insurance for 120K hull just went from 1995 to 2403. Are you all seeing this or is it because I am 71 years young?
Lengthy thread on this topic on BT, with others echoing this experience. I thought that casualty insurance used to run at rates from 1% to 1.5%. For me, when it starts exceeding 1.5% it is time to consider self-insurance.

BT??

Lengthy thread on this topic on BT, with others echoing this experience. I thought that casualty insurance used to run at rates from 1% to 1.5%. For me, when it starts exceeding 1.5% it is time to consider self-insurance.

Hot-Rod, who are you using?
I was told that mine would be less if I was not on floats. Odd since floats seem much more safe than tail-wheel to me...

Alex,

I was told by a broker once that with floats, recovery is typically more expensive after an oops, and the plane has often been submerged, so avionics, electrics, Engine, etc May have to be replaced or overhauled.

On wheels losses tend to be less for a given accident.

And, don’t estimate the vast pool of talent out there. Lots of 90 minute wonders out there educated by Browns.

MTV

Thanks Eddie. I wondered the same thing last night then I got to thinking.....maybe there’s a new group of wagon owners out there and “BT” is just short for “BTLGQ”? I saw one of their stickers on a cub at OSH last year. Maybe you got by their booth?:wink:
1B8EA48F-CABD-4E04-8DB4-A0C12DDB1AD7.jpeg

Attachments

• 1B8EA48F-CABD-4E04-8DB4-A0C12DDB1AD7.jpeg
    1B8EA48F-CABD-4E04-8DB4-A0C12DDB1AD7.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
I expect a giant double whammy. My broker is already telling me that underwriters are actually refusing to insure folks over 75. Avemco tells me the premiums go up with age, but they have no age limits.

On the hull - it may be just my perspective, but it seems tailwheel damage claims are way up. We had one hit a “frangible” sign in what should have been an “inspect and go fly” groundloop. Totaled the aircraft. Also - aviation is a lot less affordable now, so older pilots are our students. Older pilots do not absorb the necessary motor skills as quickly. One of my older students almost totaled a Cub in a ground loop. That is actually difficult to do! We are restoring it. His insurance is paying.

I am with MTV - my J3s go without hull. I have saved enough in premiums to buy plenty of Cubs.

Details? I understand Alaska is expensive. I live in Florida.
160,000 hull,business and pleasure,off airport,wheels,skis,floats,amphib floats. A rider for commercial fish surveys. This is for a cub.
Had this policy for years.price never changed with increased hull when amphibs were added three years ago.
Broker said ins up 50 to 100 percent in ak.
Need any other info Eddie.
I will miss my insurance

Interesting situation, Mark. I'd guess the fish spotting is the driver for the price hike? Insurance is a business expense. No airplane, no income. Tough decision.

After getting my Cub, Ranch, Car(s) and Business renewals in the last couple of months, I think it is a fair statement that ALL insurance is up and don't even go to health insurance WOW!

I can understand the health insurance. My spouse is in pretty good shape, but recently had cataract surgery. Takes about an hour -no overnight stay. Round numbers $3000 for the surgeon (a good guy; worth it), $24000 for the lens and hospital facilities, and $1200 for anesthesia (also a good guy and fellow pilot).

So under $30 grand per eye. This doesn’t happen to everybody of course (good thing) but that huge sum for two or three hours of team effort has to be paid for some way. In our case, you paid for it - our medicine is socialized - but if we were younger, it would be paid by an insurance company, with added fees for their work, including those CEOs that get tens of millions in compensation per year.

So yeah - I can see giant jumps in health insurance premiums.

it would be paid by an insurance company, ........., including those CEOs that get tens of millions in compensation per year.

So yeah - I can see giant jumps in health insurance premiums.
This alone is where the lion's share of the premiums go. You would think that they could get along just fine on only $1,000,000 per year. Imagine how much medical care (and other insurance paid items) could be accomplished if these CEOs pushed back from the table a bit sooner.

Only a couple of posts have included hard numbers on the annual premium (~$2000 on up), would any of you be willing to share your annual premium plus hours/ratings or is that too personal? As someone interested in stepping up into a 180 in the near future (family grew), that’s one expense that I only have a real fuzzy idea for...

My insurance price from last year to this year stayed the same. But I fly a PA-12, not a C-180.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Only a couple of posts have included hard numbers on the annual premium (~$2000 on up), would any of you be willing to share your annual premium plus hours/ratings or is that too personal? As someone interested in stepping up into a 180 in the near future (family grew), that’s one expense that I only have a real fuzzy idea for...

Me: private pilot, no advanced ratings, 3000+ hours, 3000 hrs tailwheel, 500 hours C180,
airplane: 1953 C180, full coverage, $70K hull, $1,135/year, insured by AIG through BWI

Me: private pilot, no advanced ratings, 3000+ hours, 3000 hrs tailwheel, 500 hours C180,
airplane: 1953 C180, full coverage, $70K hull, $1,135/year, insured by AIG through BWI

Wow... apparently thousands of hours of tailwheel makes a difference!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the context... military flying can bestow hours and ratings, but sadly not tailwheel experience (besides the fact that it's a heck of a lot different from GA flying). Recently sold a Grumman, which was a blast to fly, but has the third wheel on the front, and not enough room for the family anymore.

Back