• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

35’s on 6” gear?

6" gear doesn't give 6" more height. It's an angle related deal that an engineer can determine. At ~45* gear angle it would be about +3". Plus the longer gear needs way stiffer bungees to prevent unwanted extension.

I had a set on my PA-12-180 with Cub gear and liked them. But they would twist from the AERO 3000's and probably needed more lower leg bracing and stiffer bungees. Not many wheel ops with the 26" Goodyears and long gear. Not my gift in flying.

That heavy plane had an 82" prop so tall was better in deep snow.

Gary

[FONT=&quot]Hi agpilot Dave,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Ya ya…. I finally got around to the nose job. I figure after 20 pages of testimonials from individuals far more qualified than I, I’d be off the hook on the pirep deal, but I will find the old thread and weigh in.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] I will say this though, I have had the opportunity to fly a few with ‘snooty noses’ but they’ve always been different airplanes, so I never really knew how much difference to attribute to what. It was really nice to have a very familiar platform to get an honest before and after view. Thanks for reminding me[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Take care, Rob[/FONT]

I wish Nanook would comment.

I recall his major dislike of the 6" was how his plane reacted in "tussocks". Something about how it dipped a wing further.

I ran 6" with Aero 3000 skis and that was a great combo. No twisting or issues Gary. That was the set with heavy wall rear tubes.

Thanks Dave for the info on gear tubes.. Mine was inherited and an early version from Atlee. I phoned and asked Atlee and he said bring it down and we'll check them for straight and beef up. Never got around to it and then sold the PA-12 a few years later. Sure liked the AOA in snow tho. Plane was excellent.

Gary

I wish Nanook would comment.

I recall his major dislike of the 6" was how his plane reacted in "tussocks". Something about how it dipped a wing further.

I seem to recall it something about being tippy, but I never could quite understand what he was getting at. I do agree that if you lose a strut or tire, it gets the wing spooky low. And if you nose it in, you get startlingly verticle, not that I have any experience there :oops:

Last edited:
IMG_1574.JPGIMG_1104.JPG

Pleased with Airframes 1.5” 6” Ext gear on my -12. Put them on last year.
No tippiness at all I’ve experience, just shorter take off roll and the ability to brake harder landing. But I’m still learning too. Compared to the 3” that was on it before, it makes a difference.

Sullivan says the 6” gear got a lot of bad publicity back in the early day of the Stc wars. Talked to him a lot before and after, no complaints other than my lack of aoss.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    765.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    805.6 KB · Views: 308
Re:tippiness. Is that describing how extending the lever arm on already weak shocks allows more movement of the plane when it hits bumps? Let alone the added unsprung weight of 35s, which would also tax your shocks. Are you guys adjusting the suspension rate when extending the gear?

Last edited:
Having gone from standard length to 6” gear on my PA-14, I find the 6” much more stable, I assume due to increased width.

Back