• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Weak Bladder and 180 Short Range Tanks - What Would You Do?

...So leaving a half hour VFR reserve, I can fly for 4 hours at 12 gph going approx 140 mph which comes out to 560 miles.
Just how much more range is really necessary?
You have not flown out in the boonies. If you had you would know that your range is only 280 miles.

Doesn't SJ have the PPonk with commensurately higher fuel burn? In his case, he'd have to pull back a ways on the go-faster knob to achieve your numbers.

Yeah it’s pponked, range is much shorter. Don’t look at the fuel flow on takeoff haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most PPonk owners see speed increases that offset fuel flow increases, or we can roll back power to equal the 470 with 470-like fuel consumption. The 520 upgrade allows using better props, too. Another factor usually overlooked. My Pponk did not decrease my range. I appreciate 75 gallons capacity but rarely use it.

For me...the path to later wings is not so much about range but to expand my options in terms of available wings and elimination of bladders. Approach would be to swap bladders for Monarch plastic tanks and install a Sportsman LE all while wings on a bench and then do a wing swap.

Apparently Hartwing / Monarch no longer offers plastic replacement tanks, for early or late wings.
They do offer plastic aux tanks, including some for the early "slant tank" wings.
You'd still have to put up with bladders for the mains, early or late.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.facebook.com/hartwigfuelcell/posts/increase-the-fuel-capacity-on-your-older-180-182-standard-wings-with-slant-fuel-/657322311056706/[/FONT]

You have not flown out in the boonies. If you had you would know that your range is only 280 miles.

I'm thinking that there's not too many places in the lower 48 are actually more than 280 miles from fuel.
Washington is a relatively large state and it measures 350 miles east/west x 250 miles north/south.
But I get it that sometimes you wanna fill up at home and not have to refuel until you get back home or to a distant destination.

Actually hotrod I usually have a set of floats under me. Whenever I go out somewhere I need to always think of the trip back since many of the water bodies which I visit are nowhere near a fuel pump. Many of my trips have been many hours away with lots of places to land, none of which have fuel or even people. I understand your thinking.

Being on floats definitely puts another slant on the "limited range" thinking.
So I see better where you're coming from now.

Being on floats definitely puts another slant on the "limited range" thinking.
So I see better where you're coming from now.

Actually, fuel stops can be a ways apart in the middle of the country, or central Idaho, when weather makes you follow terrain.

MTV

My 185 carries 103 gallons in the wings. I can recall several instances when I had wished that I had more due to weather or unexpected head winds.

Back