• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Are you going to install or go without ADSB?

I was going to go with the wing unit... till a friend pointed out to me how you always get hangar rash at the tip. She didn't know it at the time.. but I'd put my tip into a snowbank, ever so slowly that week. Ski flying, and snowbanks around airports just happen. Only time I don't like the long wing cub. I'll be going with a tail unit. BUT.. a whirlwind prop is higher on the priority list at the moment. :)

JP

I am not going to equip with ADS B out. I have nothing against it, but I have no need to fly in class A, B, or C airspace in my airplane. Also, that airplane is not equipped with an electrical system, so installing ADS B out or the previously required equipment of a transponder and encoder would involve much more effort, cost, and weight than simply installing the equipment itself. As before, FAR 91.215 (b) (3) allows me to operate the airplane below class b or C airspace and within the 30 mile class B vail.

I do recognize the increased safety of being displayed to ATC and other traffic equipped with ADS B in, traffic advisory equipment, and TCAS. I often fly my airplane using ADS B in using an iPad, Stratus, and the ForeFlight app as well us other fully equipped airplanes. With my PA-11, the cost/benefit analysis just doesn't work out for me.

If this contraption you folks speak of doesn't keep the bird dung off the top of my plane while i'm flying I don't believe I have any need for it. In the airspace I fly the B-1s are my biggest competition if I stay south of the Yellowstone River and the AARP Cowboys north of it. I think all the traffic in the airspace I occupy prefers stealth, so i think ill stay incognito.

It took 3 Skybeacons for UAvionix to get one that would work on my Sport Cub. None of the experimental versions would provide a clean report. They finally sent me a TSOd version and it passed the tests last November. It was very frustrating, as it took 3 beacons and 3 months.

On a side note they did send me the right side SkyLight and the lights now match.

IMG_2014.JPGIMG_2013.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 194
My airplane lives just under the DFW Class Bravo, so I had no real choice but to install ADS-B OUT. I went with the Appareo Stratus ESG, with the optional "pass-thru" antenna and power connector for my Stratus 2. Works great, and a very nice transponder to boot. Part of my logic was that my ancient transponder waa on its last legs, so one of the cheaper options wasn't really an option.

My husband opted for the Appareo Stratus transponder, experimental version, when they first came out. We always fly formation wherever we go, so we have a 1090 and a 978. If we ever get to go outside the US, we are equipped. We both have a GDL39 that ties to our 660s for ADSB in.

That's a good point on the 978 mhz systems. 978 mhz is only legal in the US. Internationally, 1090 mhz is recognized.

Web

My husband opted for the Appareo Stratus transponder, experimental version, when they first came out. We always fly formation wherever we go, so we have a 1090 and a 978. If we ever get to go outside the US, we are equipped. We both have a GDL39 that ties to our 660s for ADSB in.

Not sure that the buddy system with the one 1090 unit and two airplanes would be strictly legal.

It took 3 Skybeacons for UAvionix to get one that would work on my Sport Cub. None of the experimental versions would provide a clean report. They finally sent me a TSOd version and it passed the tests last November. It was very frustrating, as it took 3 beacons and 3 months...…

A friend of mine put a Skybeacon on his mooney a few weeks ago.
Had trouble with it not wanting to latch onto the signal from his transponder,
took a call or two to uAvionix but he got it straightened out.
Passed his proving flight and got his rebate check.
The other day, he got a notice from FAA that his ADS-B was not performing up-to-snuff on a flight he took.
This was in a no-txp-required area BTW.
Said he has to get it fixed or else (don't remember what he told me they were gonna do).
Sounds like he'll have to do another proving flight to get them off his back.
He said after this happened he found out that some other people have had this same problem.
I'll quiz him about it later today,
but has anyone else heard about Skybeacon installations having issues like this?
I'll quiz him more today.

EDIT: Sounds like the problem is poor ADS-B system reception in the remote-ish area where he was flying.
He told me that if the system drops your signal for more than x number of seconds,
and automatic letter to you is generated saying your ADS-B equipment is not up to snuff.
Sounds like the system still has a lot of bugs that need to be worked out.

Last edited:
Already installed garmin products for ADSB in out. Passed proving flight first pass and got a rebate. Couple weeks later got a nasty gram from the FAA stating I had too many errors with the equipment. Back to the shop and the equipment checks out fine. Then I give the FAA a call to discuss this. Some of the errors where whats termed an air on ground problem. What they see is you are at ground level but moving too fast to be taxiing so the assumption is your reporting altitude must be off. I explained that I often fly 30 feet or less off the ground chasing coyotes. I believe some of the air on ground errors also result from off airport landings where they see you not moving but there is no airport there. I had to explain that to mister FAA man and he implied that they were still in the learning process with all this. I believe there was an system in place to identify planes that may have crashed thus not at an airport and not moving. I also got a lot of error codes that basically resulted from lost ground station contact which happens pretty much every time I fly. They wrongly assumed that everyone is flying at high altitudes and will remain in contact. Mister FAA asked where I lived and when I explained Montana he said that figures because there are only like four or five ground stations in the entire state. If you fly around mountains down in the nooks and cranies good luck. You can look at FAA websites for ground station coverage in your area. There is also an FAA website to look at your equipment performance and all the error codes. FAA will initially shut down your weather and traffic in if they deem your equipment is not working properly and then when 2020 comes you will not be allowed to operate in the governed areas. I think after I hung up with mister FAA they put an asterisk behind my N number and the comments - outlier, nut job, ignore. Have not had any trouble since. Huge problem with the system is ground station coverage for people who fly like we do.

It's another example of the flawed rule that we're required to use installed equipment in areas where it isn't required. THAT's what they need to fix.

People get letters pretty routinely after flying aerobatics. The system doesn't understand maneuvering flight very well.

I went with SkyBeacon on my SC and it does fine. Very important to know that when you do a performance test flight you MUST wait about 20-30 minutes before submitting the request-for-report on the web or you will get “Failed to generate a report” reply. Drove me, and uAvionix, nuts wondering why the SB wasn’t working, as I requested my report immediately after landing each time.
By the way uAvionix support was excellent.
And, their Scout ADS-B In works great on Foreflight.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I thought this was supposed to be some new and improved version of TCAS.
Now it s
eems like the way this ADS-B is working out so far,
people are gonna start getting letters citing them for flying too low over something, too close to something, etc.
Too much of that BS and people will just turn them off, except when actually going into airspace where it's required.
If I lived someplace where staying out of the required areas wasn't such a PITA (I'm in the Seattle area),
there's no way I'd install ADS-B-- esp now that I read about this "errors" nonsense.

I thought this was supposed to be some new and improved version of TCAS.
Now it s
eems like the way this ADS-B is working out so far,
people are gonna start getting letters citing them for flying too low over something, too close to something, etc.
Too much of that BS and people will just turn them off, except when actually going into airspace where it's required.
If I lived someplace where staying out of the required areas wasn't such a PITA (I'm in the Seattle area),
there's no way I'd install ADS-B-- esp now that I read about this "errors" nonsense.
Now you're catching on hotrod180! I smelled this from the beginning many years ago. It has always been about control. "They" (FAA) have finally got the airlines totally under their thumbs now that reciprocating engine powered airliners are basically extinct and have been looking to gather in those pesky little private airplane flyers who go where ever they darn please without even asking permission. The camel put it's nose under the tent when the FAA established TCAs. I attended TCA hearings where it was obvious that the FAA had already made up their mind and were only holding the hearings to make us peons feel good. Now that the number of pilots and airplanes flying on a regular basis is less than it used to be during the 70s, the FAA is feeling the pinch in that they now have more employees than customers. At least it is beginning to feel that way.

In a few years the Chinese might have more freedom to fly than we will.

Looks like the Sky Beacon can be turned off, with nav lights still on. The pic is the configuration screen. I installed mine yesterday, but haven't flown it yet. EASY installation - - -

Apple-iPhone-Silver-SkyBeacon.png

I needed a New Transponder.

The old Narco was TU. I went with the Garmin 345 because it did all. Over Kill! Yes! But the Value of the Cub stabilized and I needed it to operate under class B. Not to mention all the additional traffic I see and identify, in and under class B, where it was not seen before. Situational Awareness...Better....Yes! Need?...Fat...Dumb...Happy...OK. with the Big Sky Theory! Yes +/- .
Expense? ...If you need to ask the price,...maybe/maybe not....depends.....Safety, Better, Yes!....Government Tracking?.....not so much/don't like it!...Overall? Yes.

Now, if all you fly is......in the middle of no where., local area, traffic pattern, ranch, ..and class B or any other controlled airspace is not a factor.....Live long and prosper! Otherwise get with the program and get the the technology. But, buy the one that fits your mission and your aircraft. There are many choices.

Just one pilot's opinion.....and Pilot opinions, in a crew room, or online forum, are like techniques....you are always free to get up, go get a cup of coffee,and say "BS"

Jerry

Now you're catching on hotrod180! I smelled this from the beginning many years ago. It has always been about control. "They" (FAA) have finally got the airlines totally under their thumbs now that reciprocating engine powered airliners are basically extinct and have been looking to gather in those pesky little private airplane flyers who go where ever they darn please without even asking permission. The camel put it's nose under the tent when the FAA established TCAs. I attended TCA hearings where it was obvious that the FAA had already made up their mind and were only holding the hearings to make us peons feel good. Now that the number of pilots and airplanes flying on a regular basis is less than it used to be during the 70s, the FAA is feeling the pinch in that they now have more employees than customers. At least it is beginning to feel that way.

well said Pete---I`m more concerned about hitting a turkey BUZZARD than another aircraft---Capt Cub

Back