Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Guard Fly-in at Gaston's Resort

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is OK I will have him contanct you directly. Sorry to miss hanging out and flying with you this weekend.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I had planned to come in from Fort Smith for at least two days in my PA12-150 but those plans had to change due to a death in the family. Not tragic or unexpected but nevertheless...
    I will really miss getting the opportunity to meet everyone. If thereís any way I can make a quick trip up I will definitely do it. Iíll be in N4180M.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Stevie, Stevie, Stevie:
    Why would Charlotte want to talk with you? She's looking for folks who actually have something to say and have a personality
    She knows you're from Oklahoma...Name tag would just say "Okie"

Seriously, have fun my friend. Wish I could be there.

Mike
    Light Hauler
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodak33 View Post
    Does anyone need/want a room at Gastonís for this weekend?
    I have a reservation for Thursday through Monday and I am going to cancel it unless someone else wants it.
    I still might fly out to fart around, but will be cheaper just to sleep in the plane, plus the family isnít coming.
    Need to know in the next hour or so.

You can camp just over the hill at Marion County, Flippin (KFLP) if you want to

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Woodson View Post
    Stevie, Stevie, Stevie:
    Why would Charlotte want to talk with you? She's looking for folks who actually have something to say and have a personality
    She knows you're from Oklahoma...Name tag would just say "Okie"

Seriously, have fun my friend. Wish I could be there.

Mike
    Woodman, wish you could make it too. Jump in with Mason if u dare. Charlotte canít think of any intelligent questions that could test me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks JDWilliams thanked for this post
    Likes Utah 12 Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, SteveE, the challenge is on!!! But first I need to say that I don't think we need to make reservations for any times other than Saturday evening. MikeS, if you think differently, let us know. The sun has shown brightly today, but we know that there are going to be storms Thursday night. When they are out of our flight line, we'll leave...or Eddie will take out when he thinks our "fast" Super Cub will not have a chance of catching up with the storm line!!!
    Charlotte Doyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Fly-ins notwithstanding, I hope those of you in today's weather stay safe. When I lived up that way it was the kind of day the made Gusty dive into his Fraidy-Hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heading that way but the weather is going to be a factor, somehow we now have Pacific Northwest weather here in Utah. (Woodson probably sent it this way!) hope to be there on Friday afternoon and plan to depart Monday morning. Look forward to seeing most of you

P.S. BTV and his wife will be joining us so that makes a total of 5 in our group if that matters Charlotte
    I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest just wasted ! - Elmore Leonard
    Likes okmike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah 12 Driver View Post
    Heading that way but the weather is going to be a factor, somehow we now have Pacific Northwest weather here in Utah. (Woodson probably sent it this way!) hope to be there on Friday afternoon and plan to depart Monday morning. Look forward to seeing most of you

P.S. BTV and his wife will be joining us so that makes a total of 5 in our group if that matters Charlotte
    Why dont you stay home and send Woodson and your wife..... a lot more fun to talk to.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried to find a way to get to the fly-in, but unfortunately came up short. Grandsons birthday, Anniversary, Daughters birthday, 3 days of visits to MD Anderson, all in a week and a half, made it impossible. Looking forward to lots of pics and a new round of stories. Have a great time, and be safe. Hoping for blue skies for all of you, Jon
    Likes okmike, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to miss you Jon, you were one of the original
    OK18 attendees
    Likes SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a car and a Super Cub ready to leave. We'll check the weather in the morning and see which one we need to jump in. Our friends, Dan Wild and Terry Chizek, left today and called us from Marion County/Flippin earlier this evening. We are dead tired; it takes a lot of energy to get ready to leave home!! See you all sometime tomorrow.
    Charlotte Doyle
    Dr. Randy, I have a tick bite and a jammed little finger for you to evaluate! Remember when you saved me at OK18?
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nancy and I were first in followed by Randy Bob and Julie. Gaston’s is in great shape and the runway is ready for Tiger to tee one up. Be here or be square.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes SJ, SteveE, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Early on, some of the "old guardians" were resistant to wearing name tags. Thankfully guys like these set an excellent example for everyone else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nametags.JPG 
Views:	1016 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	43028
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Room

Anyone Have a room or a cabin at Gaston thatís not going to be able to make it?? I can pay with PayPal or at resort contact me Mike Lemons 501-269-2520
    Last edited by CUBING; 05-24-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Left words out

Post Thanks / Like
    I have stayed down the street at Newland's when Gaston's was full. Gaston's let me park the plane and stay elsewhere.

https://goo.gl/maps/KhHvoSDJDqrNMTQM6

sj
    Thanks CUBING thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dinner reservation made for Saturday!

I got a super late start in prepping due to work this week. Iím getting my stuff together now but my kiddo is napping in his room. Depending on how late he sleeps I may drop him off at daycare and leave this afternoon to get there in the early evening or I might depart here at sunrise tomorrow to get out there in the AM.

Iíll be camping at FLP. I was hoping to bring my hammock but a satellite recon showed not a lot of trees near the ramp. Instead Iím bringing my ďfamily campingĒ tent. Itís ridiculously overkill for one but oh well, haha!

Planning to head home on Sunday now, just to get an extra day with the family before work next week.

Excited to meet/hang out with yíall!
    Likes JDWilliams liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodak33 View Post
    Does anyone need/want a room at Gastonís for this weekend?
    I have a reservation for Thursday through Monday and I am going to cancel it unless someone else wants it.
    I still might fly out to fart around, but will be cheaper just to sleep in the plane, plus the family isnít coming.
    Need to know in the next hour or so.

I want it if you still have it 5012592520

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry man it was gone quick

Post Thanks / Like
    Check this out! https://www.gastons.com/

There is a video of all the planes already there a little further down the home page.
    Last edited by SJ; 05-24-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

FREE Pancakes and Eggs at OK18 for the Old Guard

Invitation to the Old Guard
    FREE Pancakes and Eggs at OK18
    Sunday Morning May 26, 2019

We have room for a dozen or so people - but you will need to be on your game to get in

Name:	IMG_3737.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	43037

Here is a photo I just took this evening - facing North. For perspective, the right main is almost over the south end of the Runway (when its not a sea base).
    You only have about 800 feet of runway to work with, so land at your own risk.
    Only two ways in right now, either by air or by water. Road has about 2.5 feet of water right now, so won't be any ground shuttle service available.

Name:	IMG_3740.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	43038
    About 300 feet of trees have been removed from the North end since most of you have been in here - this photo is facing North. I will see what I can do about pinning up the mules before you show up - but you might want to make a pass or two before committing.

Let me know if we have any takers - I'll need to launch the boat and make a run to the neighbors for some eggs tomorrow.

All the Best,

Clayton
    Likes SJ, RaisedByWolves, okmike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Laura, we had a visitor out at the picnic tables by the runway last night.

Name:	IMG_20190524_211003_1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	43039

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes windy, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Folks - They're having a fly in/ food and cheap fuel at Ozark H35 close to Byrdís today.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	20190525_230046.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	43055
    Charlotte was telling a fascinating story, when she was interrupted...
    Likes SJ, OLDCROWE, windy, CamTom12, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Iím home safe and had a blast. Wish I could have stayed longer but a full day of fun with my son tomorrow pulled me home.

It was an excellent time and Iím so happy to have met so many great people! Iíll be there next year (Lord willing and the Creek donít rise) and Iím definitely bringing The Kid at a minimum. If work schedules donít conflict then Amy will be there, too.

You people are good people.

Cameron
    Likes Steve Pierce, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We made it back home in a little over an hour this morning after a skirt around a pretty big storm system.

Thanks to everyone who put this event together, I have a lot of pictures I will post as I have time. Thanks to those who made the long voyages to get there, I think Ray get's the long distance award with Randy & Julie or Eddie a close second?

David Childs let me take 129CC around the patch. I still think of Paul Fisher often and I don't think I had flown this plane since he owned it. David has been a great steward of it, it was just like I remembered.

Name:	129.JPG 
Views:	598 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	43060

sj
    Thanks AkPA/18, gdafoe thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Pierce, C130jake, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Si, Iím getting you a plotter for Christmas. But Matt and joe and I talked about it and we wouldnít trade our ride with Randy and Julie for anything other than the obvious improvement in company!
    Thanks everyone for a wonderful weekend! I feel blessed to know each and every one of you.
    Beaver beater
    Likes Steve Pierce, C130jake, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great weekend! What a great turnout! Here's who attended: Joe Beck, John Brewer, Greg and Kimmie Campbell, David and Pat Childs, Terry Chizek, James Clark, Randy and Julie Corfman, Kirby and Nancy Crowe, Terry Dow, Ed and Charlotte Doyle, Ross Dupuis, Steve and Linda Eaton, Joe Edwards, Ed and Jackie Fogle, Eddie Foy, Brand and Pam Howerton and Chris Wellen, Steve and Laura Johnson and Billy, Cameron Keogh, Jim and his wife Lane, Tim Martin, Ray and Thresa and Matt Mason, NODAK 33, Dean Nordsving, Bryant Otto, Rick Papp, Steve and Cathy Pierce, Tom Powell, Mike and Dianna Roller, Mike Sharp, Mike and Patty Sisemore, Jeff and Becky Scott, Brian and Joanna Southard, Brandt and Molly Vermillion, Mark Warren and his sister, Dan Wild, Matt Wittler, and, I think, Doug Gill who lives near Tim Martin and Cindy Lantry (?). PLEASE let me know if anyone else was there, if I misspelled any names, or if I have someone listed who wasn't there (only 2-3 possibilities because I talked to everyone else!!). You are all so fabulous!
    Charlotte Doyle
    Thanks AkPA/18 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ds View Post
    What a great weekend! What a great turnout! Here's who attended: Joe Beck, John Brewer, Greg and Kimmie Campbell, David and Pat Childs, Terry Chizek, James Clark, Randy and Julie Corfman, Kirby and Nancy Crowe, Terry Dow, Ed and Charlotte Doyle, Ross Dupuis, Steve and Linda Eaton, Joe Edwards, Ed and Jackie Fogle, Eddie Foy, Brand and Pam Howerton and Chris Wellen, Steve and Laura Johnson and Billy, Cameron Keogh, Jim and his wife Lane, Tim Martin, Ray and Thresa and Matt Mason, NODAK 33, Dean Nordsving, Bryant Otto, Rick Papp, Steve and Cathy Pierce, Tom Powell, Mike and Dianna Roller, Mike Sharp, Mike and Patty Sisemore, Jeff and Becky Scott, Brian and Joanna Southard, Brandt and Molly Vermillion, Mark Warren and his sister, Dan Wild, Matt Wittler, and, I think, Doug Gill who lives near Tim Martin and Cindy Lantry (?). PLEASE let me know if anyone else was there, if I misspelled any names, or if I have someone listed who wasn't there (only 2-3 possibilities because I talked to everyone else!!). You are all so fabulous!
    Charlotte Doyle
    Jim Lane, Doug Gills
    Strangers are friends I have not met yet

Post Thanks / Like
    sj ,great photo of 129cc ,first 180 h.p. cub I got to fly thanks paul ,it still make a grin when I think of great times after getting to know him!! sj in the back seat,got his attension on first t.o.!!

jr.hammack
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Jim Lane in my list, but I just said "his wife" because I did not get her name. Could someone tell me her name? And in case you don't realize my "professionalism" when taking information, I hope you realize that I did not reveal NODAK33's real name. What is private at Gaston's, stays at Gaston's...but thanks, NODAK33, for the interesting discussion. And Mark Warren, please let me know your sister's name so I can get that correct in my list. Thanks to everyone!
    Charlotte Doyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it home just fine only to find that a tornado moved through our yard. LOTS of tree damage, had 3 giant walnut trees blown over in yard. 12 total trees down on property. House was ok, but patio furniture blew off bluff, but only one bent up. We were safe at Gastons visiting with great friends so we were safe, if you call hanging around Ray Mason safe.... Powell, really glad you made it with Joe and Matt. Its been a while. Great visits with everybody...

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a blast this weekend getting to meet everyone and putting a face to letters typed on this forum. Hope everyone made it home safe, I know it was sure slow going for me and a muddy splash landing at the end touching down at 2ok7. Runway was a swamp and the plane needs a bath again. But figured i put up a few decent shots to close out a great weekend with a bunch a great folks.

Others can add/upload photos to ALBUM through the link below as well. Would keep pictures in one spot from everyone, and fun to look back on in future years.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVozKLNtsVioTNda8
    Likes Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Julie and I had a blast at Gaston's. What a treat to see so many good people and to meet many who I've never had the pleasure to meet in person. Thanks to those who came up to introduce themselves...always good to put a face with a handle.

I'll upload some photos today sometime. Julie and I flew down in the cub and were thankful for good weather coming and going. Julie is such a trooper, enjoyed the flight even though it was a long one.

It was really great to have Mike and Eddie put together an award for Steve and Cathy Pierce. Those two make an important team for us supercubbers, and it was such an honor to be there and give them the recognition that they deserve. The time they spend on the phone helping us with questions about our airplanes is enormous, and it comes with some significant sacrifice. Kudos to Steve and Cathy!

The best part of the flyin was getting to see others who share our love of flying. I've never been around a group of people who are so compassionate. I feel at home immediately with you folks, and the time flies by...too quickly for me. Julie had a great time here also and we felt so refreshed and renewed on our way back to MN. You folks are such a blessing.

Randy
    Thanks AkPA/18 thanked for this post
    Likes C130jake, FdxLou, CamTom12, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ds View Post
    I had Jim Lane in my list, but I just said "his wife" because I did not get her name. Could someone tell me her name? And in case you don't realize my "professionalism" when taking information, I hope you realize that I did not reveal NODAK33's real name. What is private at Gaston's, stays at Gaston's...but thanks, NODAK33, for the interesting discussion. And Mark Warren, please let me know your sister's name so I can get that correct in my list. Thanks to everyone!
    Charlotte Doyle
    Debbie
    Strangers are friends I have not met yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I assume that is "Debbie Lane" and not Mark's sister's name. Oh, how helpful you all are.
    Charlotte

Post Thanks / Like
    Cathy and I had a great weekend. It is always nice to get away and what great group of people to hang out with all weekend. Ya'll embarrassed me pretty good with all that Saturday night and like I said then, everybody helps everybody but a really do appreciate the gesture and all your friendship. Had to give the FX3 Carbon Cub back to Mike Sasser yesterday, that is one sweet ride and gotta thank him for letting me take it. I never would have thought back in 2002 when I found SuperCub.org where it would take me, been a helluva a ride so far, looking forward to more. Thanks to you all.

Name:	Trigger Gap.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	43097

Name:	plaque.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	43098
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks C130jake, Flying Ds, FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes OLDCROWE, brown bear, SJ, cubscout, gdafoe and 8 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	20190529_081948.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	405.0 KB 
ID:	43099
    Steve Johnson's departure early Monday. Just a beautiful airstrip.