Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Guard Fly-in at Gaston's Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Old Guard Fly-in at Gaston's Resort

For those of you who have followed the story telling on the Old Guard thread, we are now starting a thread to tell you about the Old Guard Fly-in that we are having at Gaston's Resort in north central Arkansas. After reading the other Old Guard thread, Eddie was inspired to call some members that had been to some of the "old" fly-ins to see if they were interested in attending a "new" fly-in. They were, so Eddie called Mike Sisemore who called Gaston's and got the ball rolling. The fly-in will be over Memorial Day weekend. Mike and Patty and Eddie and I will be there on Friday May 24th. We encourage anyone, young or old, to join us. Come for one day or the whole weekend. If you are planning to stay over one or two nights, we encourage you to make a reservation as soon as possible (check online at Gaston's.com). Gaston's has a wonderful restaurant, great landing strip, is situated on the White River, just a beautiful place! We are going to start this thread so let us know if you have any questions...or comments.
    Ed and Charlotte Doyle and Mike and Patty Sisemore
    Thanks brown bear thanked for this post
    Likes cubdriver2, JP, Gone Flyin' liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What days are folks planning on being there? I see arriving on Friday...staying until Monday?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, so far most are arriving Friday and heading home on Monday, some may stay later. They said rooms are filling up fast with it being a holiday weekend and we need to make our reservations.

Post Thanks / Like

Old Guard Fly-in at Gaston's Resort

Ok Deano, Papp, ET, Keating, Lou, Lewis, Tim Allen and Tim Martin, Pierce, Tom Powell !!, Schwend and Hartman bring the Rv for 2 days, Murph, Ford, Meade, Old Cuby Jim, POPS! Joe D. ,Lance! Evan! Beck, Wittler, Geezer Dan, The Alabama Flash! Charlie and The Donald!!!!Crap, I canít think of them all! Spread the word. Itíll be a hoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes Tim, OldCuby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With any luck it will have warmed up and thawed out by then and we will be done with this climate change BS. Itís been -30f here the last few days with 20 mph wind.....Iím ready for spring and spraying season.
    dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in, working on Mike Sharp...
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ag-pilot View Post
    With any luck it will have warmed up and thawed out by then and we will be done with this climate change BS. Itís been -30f here the last few days with 20 mph wind.....Iím ready for spring and spraying season.
    dave
    Your such a loser. U can be here in 3 hrs in that rv.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Tim can show me the way out there
    Likes SteveE, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer! Can't make it due to our Granddaughters HS graduation.
    As a reminder, the new owners of Gaston's DO NOT ALLOW CAMPING.
    Looking fwd to seeing and hearing all about it.
    Lou1

Post Thanks / Like
    Since Gaston's is local to me now days, even though I'm not part of the "old guard" as far as the SC list goes, I hope you don't mind if I stop by during the afternoon for day or two.

-Cub Builder
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Builder View Post
    Since Gaston's is local to me now days, even though I'm not part of the "old guard" as far as the SC list goes, I hope you don't mind if I stop by during the afternoon for day or two.

-Cub Builder
    Same, Iím working to free up that weekend. Itís only a couple of hours away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Iíll be there if Iím not working. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Fdx Lou! You're not old enough to have a granddaughter...especially one that is old enough to be graduating from high school! We'll just have to continue having these fly-ins periodically since it is impossible to get to everything we want to in these "golden" years! And you are right...no camping allowed so we have a friend of ours who only camps (along with a group of his buddies) checking out camping possibilities in the area. We know Bill and Yevette (close?)Tracey won't consider coming if there aren't camping possibilities!
    And Cub Builder, you are absolutely welcome any time you can drop by! I personally would like to meet you. My family moved to AR back in the 1960's (Rogers/Bella Vista/Hot Springs) but I was out of high school...and in love with Ed Doyle... so I stayed in KS. It shouldn't be hard to find someone associated with the group any time you would stop by. This might not be the way you do things here on SuperCub.org, but my cell number is: 785.410.3640. Text me if you have any questions at any time.
    And CamTom12 from Huntsville AL and JD Williams, just know we hope you can get those work situations handled! We want as many people as possible so "new" people can meet "old" people and new stories can be created.
    If we haven't said this enough, "EVERYBODY IS WELCOME!" That's how the "old guard" membership got so large! I can remember meeting EV Roosevelt and Chuck Kinsberger at a fly-in at Gaston's. Chuck flies from FL to KS to hunt in the fall...he always comes by to stay with us for a day or two. I encourage everyone who plans to attend for at least a little while, let us know by posting.
    Finally, for those who do not know, I am Charlotte Doyle, wife of Ed Doyle (who does not "type"). We started dating at age 15(!!!), got married at age 21, and will be celebrating our 55th wedding anniversary this year...do the math and you will see we are senior citizens! I tell you this so you understand that I will be the one making the posts for the Flying Ds (chosen after returning from the first Red River Redneck fly-in and learning about SuperCub.org. I put it in "favorites" and taught Eddie how to mouse! the rest is history!). Until...
    Charlotte Doyle (enabler of Eddie Doyle)
    Thanks Cub Builder thanked for this post
    Likes tcraft128, OLDCROWE, Delta Cub, CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    GOOD NEWS
    The airport manager David at Marion County (KFLP) airport just called and they willl allow and encourage under the wing camping during our fly-in at Gaston’s, they also have two hookups for travel trailers or motor homes. David, the manager said they would try to arrange transportation into town, KFLP is 4 mi SW of Gaston’s and they have 24 hr self serve fuel.
    Thanks StuBob, brown bear thanked for this post
    Likes RaisedByWolves, CamTom12, 105 Special liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I donít know if I will be back from Alaska by then or not,but will do my best to be there in the ďUgly DuckĒ (PA 22-20 160). Check out H34, Huntsville, AR. We have the cheapest gas around and a 1200í crosswind grass runway. Anyone that would like is welcome to camp at my place (I live in my hangar on the airport).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes okmike, CamTom12, Bearhawk Builder liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We are booked for Sat and Sun nights!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Charlotte.... saying love and Ed Doyle in the same sentence is an oxymoron. Iíd replace the word love with outlaw.....

Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	napstat.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	41833

Since the term "old guard" is largely thought to have originated with Napoleon's Imperial Guard, I presume a statue like this should be one of the door prizes?

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    And what exactly qualifies one to be part of the “Old Guard” vs member of SuperCub.Org?
    Thanks SuperDuper thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Everybody is welcome!!

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks okmike thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    And I remember meeting you My Wife of 55 years and I will be at Gaston's on the 8th thru 12th of may for a CubCrafters fly-in wish we could stay and see everybody
    EV

Post Thanks / Like
    We have contacted some of the local pilots who like to fly "back country." They are excited about coming to Gaston's. I guess since we have been involved in so many fly-ins like many of you...I'd better start worrying about the weather that weekend. Now that will do a lot of good!
    Charlotte Doyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Maybe Tim can show me the way out there
    I think you and Chris know the way well from following all the road signs to and from Gastons in the past. The return trip was quite entertaining from above.

This whole "Old Guard" thing got started by some of the original members of Super Cub.org . The unique thing about this website has been how new members get accepted into the fold. Old is a relative term. I saw this at the restoration seminar we held in Graham, half of the folks had been there before and half were new. After a day or so nobody knew the difference. Cathy and I will be there. After the little gathering at Kirby's after Christmas I can assure anyone attending some great stories and you will figure out some of the little digs some of us get in on each other from time to time. Gonna be a great weekend with folks we don't get to hang out with enough. Hope to finally meet you Cub Builder and CamTom12.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks Cub Builder thanked for this post
    Likes CamTom12, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we should do a live stream from Gaston's? Story time....

sj
    Thanks windy thanked for this post
    Likes skyking1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Maybe we should do a live stream from Gaston's? Story time....

sj
    Sometimes not suitable for prime time and not sure the statute of limitations has run out.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Willie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for Getting this Fly-in Together

Ed & Charlotte / Mike & Patty,

Really happy to see you guys getting a fly-in put back together for the Memorial Day weekend. I understand that the fly-in is open to any and all.

Wishing you good weather, good company, and a safe fly-in. Hope to be able to make it over for the weekend.

All the Best,
    Clayton
    Last edited by SuperDuper; 03-08-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    Likes okmike, OLDCROWE, m wittler, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Booked Friday-Monday. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

DC
    David Childs

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right!"
    Henry Ford
    Likes okmike, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cathy and I got a room so we are looking forward to a fun weekend.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes OLDCROWE, okmike, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm getting this thread back up so people who may have missed it can see the info. I have been doing a little spring cleaning and found a Red River Red Neck shirt and an OK 18 hat so I have my wardrobe for the weekend. Eddie is encouraging me to make name tags (maybe to help him remember some of the names!), but I also remember how much some of you hate name tags!!! My friend Fraudman in Sioux Falls definitely would not let me name him! This is just going to be so much fun!
    Likes okmike, Steve Pierce, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, as I said several weeks ago, it is time to get this thread back up since, can you believe it, NEXT WEEKEND IS THE FLY-IN AT GASTON'S!!! We have been watching the water rise in Tuttle Creek Lake. We live 2 1/2 miles from the lake, but it has rained so much in the last two months (and the Missouri River is full), that the road we generally take into Manhattan is 38 feet underwater! The creeks have backed up to our farm and out a little on one of our fields! And rain is predicted today and tomorrow night!
    BUT I CHECKED THE WEATHER FOR GASTON'S NEXT WEEKEND AND IT IS PERFECT...80's during the day and 70's at night! Eddie and Mike have been talking about "what's happening" so I'll be reporting what I find out from them. We are looking forward to seeing everyone!
    Charlotte Doyle
    Likes SJ, OLDCROWE, JDWilliams liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant wait Charlotte. We haven't seen you in FAR too long!

See you all next week!

cafi
    Likes rickvt, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just talked to Sisemore. Mike and Patty will get to Gaston's on Friday...so will we. When will the rest of you begin arriving? This will help us do a little planning! We have had another 1 1/2 inches of rain so we are plenty soggy! Gaston's is looking great!
    Charlotte
    Likes brown bear, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Myself and Joe Edwards Saturday morning. Leaving Monday.
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    Myself and Joe Edwards Saturday morning. Leaving Monday.
    Same for us.

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thursday evening, departing Sunday.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Some thoughts

Everybody is welcome

Some are arriving Thursday - Most leaving Monday

Trout fishing is fun

Camping is allowed at Flippin Marion County 4 mi (KFLP)

Come for the day if you cant stay over

Everybody bring chairs and tie-downs

IMPORTANT DO NOT MISS GROUP MEETING - Saturday 5:00 pm - next to runway in front of office

BE SURE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR MEALS

SATURDAY NIGHT around 6:00/6:30 or whatever you can after meeting - tell them you are with the fly in group

Saturday/Sunday breakfast/lunch fly out options (call to confirm):

Byrds Adventure Center 70nm 51AR

Horseshoe Bend 40nm 6M2 - might be open for breakfast only

Walnut Ridge 80nm ARG - call and check

Carroll County 52nm 4M1 - call and reserve courtesy cars - Eureka Springs - I think they have 4 cars - be sure to stop by the RAF Trigger Gap strip 17A just south of 4M1

Bentonville 80nm KVBT - new Louise resturarant

Please post any other breakfast or lunch fly out options I missed
    Thanks brown bear, Delta Cub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, here are the people I have heard (by actual communication or rumor!) are coming to Gaston's: Mike and Patty Sisemore, Steve and Kathy Pierce (and Lee who is definitely a member of the Old Guard?), Steve and Linda(?) Eaton, Mike Sharp, Randy and Julie Corfman, Kirby Crowe (are you bringing your daughter who is also definitely Old Guard?), David Childs, Eric Taliaferro and ? (Eric and his dad, Jimmy, were the ORIGINATORS of the Red River Red Neck Fly-in that started all of this!), Rick Papp (great Rock and Roll dancer!), Joe Beck, Tom Powell, Matt Wittler, Dan Wild, Terry Chizek, Doug Wilson, Eddie Foy, Joe Edwards, Ray Mason, Tony Terrell, Ed and Charlotte Doyle...and others??
    Here are people who should be coming: Bill and Yevette (sp?) Tracey, Jay Pratt and Carol Beard, Dean Nordsving, Chris (and wife whom he courted at the Redneck Fly-in) Keating, John Blocker, Terry Dow, Sy Smith, Dennis (Shooter) Smith...and others? Are there any local Arkansas pilots coming?
    Please keep me up to date!!!
    Charlotte
    Here are the w
    Thanks windy, BradleyG thanked for this post
    Likes Poor Joe, windy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just checked Cathy (spelled correctly) is coming with Steve!!! Now we just need an update on Lee!!
    Charlotte
    Likes BradleyG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Some others I know of that are coming

Dean Nordsving
    Brad & Pam Howerton
    Jim Lane
    Tim Martin
    Ed Fogle
    Last edited by okmike; 05-19-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Iíll be there as well, hopefully flying thurs and departing Monday.
    Son and wife will be driving up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org