• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Good example of what NOT to do!

There is a movie about an idiot who is put into stasis and forgotten. He awakens years later to find he is the smartest person around. Society is on the brink of starvation. Not one person knew how to grow food...believed Coke is what you water plants with...we’re heading down that rabbit hole...now a white aircraft on a river must be another...Sully...how many times can they crash....an engine must have fallen off...how many lives is Tom down to? If we as freedom loving individuals give in, roll over.....we are promoting the idiocy pandemic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Flyrite, You are spot on. Icon has every right to land where he did and even being in class D airspace and in communication with the tower. He did not violate one rule. I routinely land my floatplane on the Mississippi around St. Louis(being the only straight floatplane in the St. Louis area) and if I do land on the populas east side I do notify the police of my intentions(not required). But for Icon to capitulate to the ignorant masses I feel is another nail in our coffin. I trust this arguement is taken on by EAA, AOPA, and NBAA.

Blue Skies

Last year a woman from Icon called me to ask about using my seaplane base for some demo flights which they were conducting from the Norwood airport. I explained to her what the traffic patterns were along with there being another Cranland airport very close by. Because of this other airport there are both left and right hand traffic patterns. One of the primary rules here is to avoid flying low over the many houses which surround the pond. There are several areas where there are no houses which make for good approach and departure routes. These procedures have been in effect for 50+ years with good neighbor relations. In fact the police have made local rules giving seaplanes the right of way over all boating activities. :lol:

The little Icon showed up and proceeded to fly willy-nilly anywhere he so chose. Low over the houses seemingly intentionally. Ignoring any semblance of a traffic pattern in any direction he chose. Making flying low altitude turns over the shore line, flying over land and houses at the height of about 200 feet. He made several demonstration trips over two days. In the fall he came back repeating his failure to follow any semblance of a pattern. He also didn't seem to have any understanding of which direction the wind was blowing.

While it was interesting to see that little flying boat snarl and operate, he is not welcome here. I suspect that the woman who called me did not even pass on the traffic pattern information to the pilot. If the pilot of the flights at St. Louis is the same one as here, I'm not at all surprised that there were a lot of phone calls. He needs to be taken out behind the woodshed and given a good talking to.

Icon visited my home airport for a demo day last summer after visiting Pete’s. I was not impressed with the team nor were the airport neighbors.
Seems these guys set out to attract attention.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I'm surprised something like this doesn't happen more often, what with everyone having cellphones these days. It's always in the back of my mind when landing off airport, especially on the skis, as people just don't expect that a plane would willingly land on snow. Doing it more seems to help, oddly. Get the local gen pub used to seeing it and no one gets excited, do it once a year and maybe it's a bigger deal? This of course is a good excuse to fly more! Landing places where no one sees you, solves the problem, if one is lucky enough to live somewhere less populated. Even better, somewhere with no cell coverage, but even in the Idaho mountains those places are less and less.

I got a visit last year from a sheriff deputy shortly after landing back at my place, it seems I had flown over two off duty sheriffs who were hunting, while on forest service land above my place. And, I had done my usual snappy approach to my strip, that I guess looked to them like I was having some kind of a problem! Common sense prevailed, (no first responders showed up, or media) and our visit ended with good feelings all around.

There is a movie about an idiot who is put into stasis and forgotten. He awakens years later to find he is the smartest person around. Society is on the brink of starvation. Not one person knew how to grow food...believed Coke is what you water plants with...we’re heading down that rabbit hole...now a white aircraft on a river must be another...Sully...how many times can they crash....an engine must have fallen off...how many lives is Tom down to? If we as freedom loving individuals give in, roll over.....we are promoting the idiocy pandemic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Idiocracy. Good flick
Unfortunately, I think over time it’s actually becoming a documentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t worry, Biblical levels of stupidity and corruption always result in Biblical consequences....

go to YouTube and search on: “micro nova”.......

Last edited:
I used to instruct at a grass field just south of KISP, a class c airport here. We operated in a cut out below 700 feet and under the authority of the big airport. One day as I was leaving, a 172 landed. Then the office phone rang and it was the airport manager at ISP. He said “What’s going on there?” I told him nothing. He said a motorist reported a plane crash. I said a 172 just landed and more than once people on the highway would see a plane disappear behind the tree line and assume the worst. We agreed there was no plane crash.
I locked the door and turned around and there was a police officer there asking “Where is the plane crash?” I said “no crash”. He left. Got in my car then the Fire Department showed up. Told them no crash.

As as I was driving out, the Channel 12 News satellite truck was driving in. I figured I’d let them figure it out by themselves.

I always liked the line from the God Father about “pain in the a$$ innocent bystanders”

When Utah Power flew Supercubs for line patrol, people would call local authorities all the time thinking it had crashed. We always notified local law enforcement when it would be in their area. Once the system dispatchers called me to remind them what the color scheme was, because I knew the pilot.

<<<Seems these guys set out to attract attention.>>>>

I stand my
assessment of Icon for a few years now.

They are a sales and advertising company with enough prowess to bilk millions of repeated financial investments, all under the guise of building an amphibious Cirrus, with no actual experience.

Oversold initial customers on money, time and performance. All advertising is done directly to the non-aviation market. Wall street, NY Times, LA and Hollywood media and publications, all the while refusing to consider solid question and answer sessions with the aviation industry. (They have holier-than-thou attitudes and enlarged ego's. The company that built the trailer for them said never again unless Icon stepped out of the design and engineering of it)
Existing aircraft such as the Searey from Progressive Aerodyne outperform it at a fraction of the price, have been in business, and actually deliver aircraft to customers. Icon broke every promise, date and price set. Decided instead of delivering it would start it's own flight school with the first production aircraft. Ran out of money and got re-invested numerous times. And yet they are still able to continue forth.

If the sheep only knew. Eventually, the company will either do down in flames or become a raging success.

<<<Seems these guys set out to attract attention.>>>>

I stand my
assessment of Icon for a few years now.

They are a sales and advertising company with enough prowess to bilk millions of repeated financial investments, all under the guise of building an amphibious Cirrus, with no actual experience.

Oversold initial customers on money, time and performance. All advertising is done directly to the non-aviation market. Wall street, NY Times, LA and Hollywood media and publications, all the while refusing to consider solid question and answer sessions with the aviation industry. (They have holier-than-thou attitudes and enlarged ego's. The company that built the trailer for them said never again unless Icon stepped out of the design and engineering of it)
Existing aircraft such as the Searey from Progressive Aerodyne outperform it at a fraction of the price, have been in business, and actually deliver aircraft to customers. Icon broke every promise, date and price set. Decided instead of delivering it would start it's own flight school with the first production aircraft. Ran out of money and got re-invested numerous times. And yet they are still able to continue forth.

If the sheep only knew. Eventually, the company will either do down in flames or become a raging success.

Same as your local flying car company.

Glenn

Same as your local flying car company.

Glenn

It does surprise me how many large entities and individuals offer funding to "futuristic" inventions/designs/etc. In one sense it's a huge marketing adventure, with potentially phenomenal coverage and brand awareness for what ever that company does. But the sheer number of, and the depth of knowledge on the payroll for each of these, is striking. There's one that is quietly building one in BTV. Look at the roster of employees, and their experience, without any income producing product in the near future. Obviously very good funding. But the striking difference to Icon is they are quietly building something, not selling it to the public on the premise of building something.

https://www.beta.team/the-team/

And starting at around a cool 1/4 mil $$$$. You could buy two Seareys for the same money.

Price has gone up since then Pete -

[FONT=&quot]"The price for a fully equipped A5 will be US$389,000, while the base price will rise to US$269,000, although base models will not be delivered until 2019 at the earliest."[/FONT]

I even had a BD-5 kit for a number of years - never really got very far with it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back