• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Interesting Aircraft Ads

Farmboy

Middlebury, VT
The world is a wonderful place. People are awesome.

Take this one - since I'm pretty sure Comp Air never offered it this way - someone took Comp Air 6 plans, narrowed them 18 inches, and built a tandem composite aircraft.
While I think someone on here posted about building a Comp Air once and didn't think very highly of it, I'm not judging here, just always makes me smile to see how people create in their own unique way.

Link: AMAZING COMP AIR 3

watermark-4.jpg
watermark-5.jpg
watermark-6.jpg
watermark-7.jpg
watermark-8.jpg

Attachments

• watermark-4.jpg
    watermark-4.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 272
  • watermark-5.jpg
    watermark-5.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 279
  • watermark-6.jpg
    watermark-6.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 289
  • watermark-7.jpg
    watermark-7.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 337
  • watermark-8.jpg
    watermark-8.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 291
While I wasn't a big fan of the Comp Air 6 I built back in the 90's , I must admit this looks very interesting. Wonder why he didn't make a one piece windshield? That center strip looks distracting to me.
Lou1

While I wasn't a big fan of the Comp Air 6 I built back in the 90's , I must admit this looks very interesting. Wonder why he didn't make a one piece windshield? That center strip looks distracting to me.
Lou1
I would expect he just cut down the one provided.

Lou1

Something has to hold the roof on

Glenn

One year at Sun N Fun, I was flying around with a factory test pilot/Engineer I’d met. We stopped at Jack Browns Seaplane Base, and there was a Comp Air 9 (??) on floats, complete with Walter turbine.

He walked around that plane, looked it over really well. I asked him what he thought of it. His response: “If it were in flight, I would not want to stand under it.”

Pretty clear assessment.

MTV

Mike, my only thought on his statement is "change is hard". Not saying it's build good or bad, but I'd be interested to hear a composite engineers opinion of it, say, someone from Scale Composites or the like. (These days probably Boeing and Airbus have plenty)

There had to be a huge segment of the industry that thought Burt Rutan was off his rocker when he started building foam/composite airframes. I like Aluminum - just playing devils advocate for a moment.

Mike, my only thought on his statement is "change is hard". Not saying it's build good or bad, but I'd be interested to hear a composite engineers opinion of it, say, someone from Scale Composites or the like. (These days probably Boeing and Airbus have plenty)

There had to be a huge segment of the industry that thought Burt Rutan was off his rocker when he started building foam/composite airframes. I like Aluminum - just playing devils advocate for a moment.

Oh, he gave me a tour, thoughtfully explaining his concerns, which were serious structural design issues. And this guy was quite familiar with composite structures.

MTV

Very interesting, would be sweet had they rounded the lower front section of the fuselage as an original one, kind of looses some of it's appeal.

They already made a tandem Swift-- the Temco Buckaroo.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temco_T-35_Buckaroo[/FONT]

Farmboy;741345 There had to be a huge segment of the industry that thought Burt Rutan was off his rocker when he started building foam/composite airframes. I like Aluminum - just playing devils advocate for a moment.[/QUOTE said:
one of my best buddies is a wheel at Gulfstream (aeronautical Engineer) Was also the lead guy on 2 past light jets from the past.
He has 700 people under him a lot of them engineers, From his experience, He’s learned not to let most of them lose on anything without STONG SUPERVISION !
According to him , opinionated all and mostly get it wrong. My buddies lead people are guys with very little formal education. Better at outta the box thinking and on most projects their arguments win out.
Me, My life experience is from a hands on background. Have never met a mechanic or a project manager that didn’t wonder like Dr Phil....What were they thinking.
Have looked at the Compair stuff and have always been impressed with how they solved problems in design. Like a lot of past companies, Could build a plane but were piss poor business folk!

Back