• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking for used skis for rescue skid

Golden Chosen One

Have a good friend of mine that works for Stowe Mountain Rescue. He is thinking about using airplane skis for making a rescue skid that can move on snow as well as hard surface.
Are there used skis that may be no longer airworthy? Where can we get these skis?
You can contact me at 040304@gmail.com

Thank you
Frank.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

when you talk snow, what kind, like 8 ft deep fluff or hard packed. guy here built a nice sled for trapping with 4 snowmobile skis where the front set turns. real neat, got the skis for nothing. but mainly for pretty firm snow cover. follows right in the tracks of the snowmobile skis. mounted the front skis to a piece of channel iron like this.
snowmobile-751516_960_720.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt you'll come across any airplane wheel skis (what it sound like what your looking for) that people are willing to part with. It sounds like a job for a homemade/cobbled up arrangement, as since they don't have to be AIRWORTHY just snow and ground worthy.... I'd bet a walk through of a (pick your favorite chain) large sporting goods store will show a lot of possibilities that can be modified with Harbor Freight/cheap wheels. Check out the devices the ice fisherpersons use to drag their beer out to their holes, and other ready made, mass produced, cheap, snow sliders. It may take a light gauge steel frame (1" square tubing), bolted onto a not made for that purpose sled of some kind, to distribute the wheel loads to the sled. I do things like this for my local Ski Patrol often, a good cause. If you were local, I'd have something that'd work cobbled together in a day or so, for less then $100.00. guaranteed. I know my local patrol have fiberglas rescue sleds (that I have not had the pleasure of seeing real close up) that would seem to be plenty stout enough to take a pair of wheels that stick down just enough to roll on ground but not cause too much snow drag. "Piece of cake", says this snowboarding, ski plane pilot!

Have a good friend of mine that works for Stowe Mountain Rescue. He is thinking about using airplane skis for making a rescue skid that can move on snow as well as hard surface.
Are there used skis that may be no longer airworthy? Where can we get these skis?

Thank you
Frank.

Frank, I’m sure he has it all planned out, but do you know or can share any parameters of this idea/project? There are tons of old snow skis available, far less aircraft skis, and it makes me wonder as to just what the skid is and how it’s going to work.

Thanks,
Peter

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

you can find used snowboards everywhere, and most of them are really strong. They make the high end ones from carbon fiber,, or composite wood core. The guys I know that snowboard get new ones every two years.

Jim

Thank you
Frank.

Make wheel penetration skis out of old snow boards and wheel barrow tires?

I have friends with ultralights that make their skis from snowboards.They work very well.

This is true, I swear it. the Deere salesman who we deal with is in CO skiing with his family this week for school vacation, he sent me this pic this morning
It shows you a great shot of a snowboard to use for your sled

a pic for you jim.jpg
Its the hand of God at work

Jim

Attachments

• a pic for you jim.jpg
    a pic for you jim.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 429
Good technique.

One little Montana ski area I flew up to a couple years ago had girls wearing less then that on their final run down the mountain of the season, tough girls!

Rescue skid isn't specific enough to provide good advice. Different missions require different solutions. Bending up some skis from aluminum is simple. Add HDPE to make them slippery if you need. Add wheels if you need. The only limit is your imagination.

Airplane skis are too heavy!

IMG_1329.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    747 KB · Views: 172
Ok it’s all kinds of terrain and snow. He must need something more than just the rescue litter. The snow depths will vary greatly.
I’ll try to get him to narrow it down but it sounds like he will be towing behind a side by gator type vehicle.
Snowmobile skis may work, since you can string steel runners on them to assist in steering.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back