Thread: Trick air skis

Post Thanks / Like

Trick air skis

TrickAir skis In Cruise ski front right tip pull down due to bungee stretch affected trim be careful fortunately the cable Caught it any questions call Steve at 630-816-8825
    Last edited by SJ; 02-24-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Attlee Dodge silver springs Is what I put on my trick air skis .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014FAEBE-27EE-47F1-93C3-65DA39642E08.jpeg 
Views:	177 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	41568

Post Thanks / Like
    You may have to rig them up a few more degrees. Mine was 1 deg up or so and I lengthened the rear cable 2 inches and they don’t drop down anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd contact the current manufacturer and have a conversation about the in-air drop down. It might help them and others figure out an improved rigging setup and test flight after the installation. Sometimes that test after mod is required to determine compatibility but not sure with this STC.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Newer bungee material sucks compared to what they used to make. I learned that if I left mine hooked up sitting in the hangar even over night they were very slow to return to their original rigged length. Get some heavy snow on the tip and it took ever longer. Add the 6" crust cutter and its even worse because bungee is then shorter. I started unhooking them at the end of the day 20 years ago. 2 years ago I finally switched to springs.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking about buying a set of the TrickAir 2500s for my Super Cub, and I’m curious how they perform? I’ve flown SkyWagons on penetration skis and some are okay and some were horrible.
    Thanks piperJ4 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My 1500's are not as good as straight skis in the deep snow (understandably) and are poor in overflow conditions....it is very nice to land on a runway and up to the pump though....also it is nice going into and out of the hangar. there is a definite trade off in snow performance....I think the area behind the wheel causes most of the drag....Summit skis seem to have a more straight profile behind the wheel making them a little less draggy in the snow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarddart View Post
    TrickAir skis In Cruise ski front right tip pull down due to bungee stretch affected trim be careful fortunately the cable Caught it any questions call Steve at 630-816-8825
    bungee was seven years old new bungee no problems great support from company

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a set of springs and don’t look back.

MTV
    Likes DENNY, Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Mike, Weak bungees are no fun...

Last edited by Cubus Maximus; 02-23-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My skis with springs would drop if you got over 110 mph. Lengthened the rear cable and solved that problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubus Maximus View Post
    Agree with Mike, Weak bungees are no fun...

These skis look like they are rigged with the tips low in level flight, poor bungee didn't have a chance.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    These skis look like they are rigged with the tips low in level flight, poor bungee didn't have a chance.

Glenn
    That's what I thought as well. The lower connection for the bungee should also have a section of cable for a "crust cutter", to protect the bungee.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't the lower left side window/longeron one of the levels? If so and the right rear safety cable is tight then......not criticism just a maybe could be better.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Best way to check that in the hangar is put a smart level on the window frame and lift the tail til the cables are tight.

One place I read said 1-5 deg compared to the wings angle of incidence. I've always used fuselage level.
    Last edited by S2D; 02-24-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glen you are correct my new bungies are the same I disconnect after every use , going to springs next year for sure

Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Newer bungee material sucks compared to what they used to make. I learned that if I left mine hooked up sitting in the hangar even over night they were very slow to return to their original rigged length. Get some heavy snow on the tip and it took ever longer. Add the 6" crust cutter and its even worse because bungee is then shorter. I started unhooking them at the end of the day 20 years ago. 2 years ago I finally switched to springs.

Glenn
    Gerry Marcil

Every day spent flying is a great day !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    Best way to check that in the hangar is put a smart level on the window frame and lift the tail til the cables are tight.

One place I read said 1-5 deg compared to the wings angle of incidence. I've always used fuselage level.
    I've also heard the 1-5 degree thing. When Aviat certificated skis on the Husky, they tried to get the FAA to approve 0 degrees, but the Denver ACO wouldn't approve, so they went with +1, and that worked great. I had the same experience with skis on that plane, when you descended, the skis would go over onto the forward limit cables. Was no big deal, just a bit of trim change. We took the bungees off and replaced with springs.....fixed.

As Glenn noted, the new bungees are WAAAAY different than old bungees, and frankly not worth the $$.

MTV