Thread: Electrical connectors ??

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like

Electrical connectors ??

Is it ok to use electrical crimp type connectors from auto parts stores, or do you have to get them from an airplane parts source, like Univair or Spruce? Is there a difference? Will be used on a certified airplane.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I use permaseal crimp connectors then heat 'em up and get a good seal. I've yet to have any problems.

https://store.polarwire.com/content/96-97.pdf
    Likes mike mcs repair, Hardtailjohn liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Is it ok to use electrical crimp type connectors from auto parts stores, or do you have to get them from an airplane parts source, like Univair or Spruce? Is there a difference? Will be used on a certified airplane.
    Thanks
    the airplane ones are just AMP brand that our suppliers sell here.... better quality than NAPA.. but not sure if it matters.... but I use the AMP stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Auto parts store connectors are probably aluminum which corrodes readily and have plastic insulation which is toxic when burned. Tinned copper connectors with nylon insulation is my recommendation. Elecdirectdotcom is a good source

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest difference is that the better quality crimp terminals use nylon instead of vinyl for the insulation material. It's tougher and won't burn/smoke when heated. The best material for the ring is tin plated copper. The style I use about 98% of the time is TE Connectivity (used to be AMP) PIDG series. An example is a #10 ring size for 22 gauge wire, #36153. I use mouser.com as a source for this stuff.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes Chicken Hawk, FdxLou, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use only Polar wire connectors. Great service and good pricing too. Their connectors are mil spec and are the best thing going for aircraft , boats or whatever. Buy good crimpers from them also. The cheap automotive crimpers do more harm than good. Do it right once and never have to screw with bad or weak and corroded connections again.
    Likes FdxLou, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Polar sells nicely assembled connector kits. I keep a couple in my cabinet. The mid-range $70 crimpers work well. After all those years of NAPA terminals squeezed with channel locks or vice grips (c'mon, we've all done it!) the good stuff is a treat.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's scary is of all the junk ones NAPA's are the best...
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes flyrite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A little drift from the original question but don't overlook posi lock connectors where they're applicable. Great product!
    https://www.posi-products.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the main 3 things to remember about aircraft crimp-connectors are, 1. translucent is good so you can see the wire is in there, 2. one crimp is for the wire 3. the other crimp is for the insulation. If you can't see the wire coming out of the crimps into the center, or if there is not the provision to crimp both the wire and the insulation. (whether in two steps with Napa tools, or one step with "proper" tools) then you probably don't have a connector that is worthy of your plane. At least I wouldn't use less than that. The PIDG connectors as described by wireweinie have these.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a good set of crimpers that will not hurt the heat shrink tubing on the connectors. Any advice on that?
    DENNY
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    I need a good set of crimpers that will not hurt the heat shrink tubing on the connectors. Any advice on that?
    DENNY
    Greenlee #45500 ratcheting crimper. They come under lots of other brand names. Make sure they are for insulated terminals.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're doing any big cramps get yourself a good pair of hydraulic crimpers with a good set of dies. There are a lot of different types of crimp connectors but as Stewart said Polar Wire is a great source if you want quality. For small stuff I use the ratcheting crimpers by amp. Working in the Telecom industry for the last 35 years I have done thousands of crimps. Using good wire and connectors can save lots of money and helicopter time when you build Mountaintop microwave sites. My world is mostly 48 volt DC and 74 volt DC.

Post Thanks / Like

Electrical connectors ??

Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    DENNY
    For we amateurs Polar sells a good set of perma seal crimpers for about $35. The same brand’s strippers are under $6. Both work great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	43769
    Thanks flynlow thanked for this post