• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking at an old plane

I had a '60 model with a partner, we were just time building and each put over 300 hours on that thing. I was the A&P and he was the instructor so a good arrangement. We had a similar panel so just used a handheld on the yoke, went all over the country and one trip up to Fairbanks and back. Once I hauled a jeep engine for my buddy so his dad could overhaul it, just slide it into the back! Both engines weeped oil, just kept a case in the baggage with ready supply of rags to wipe off the gear.
We put an electronic ignition unit on the nose heater that worked really good. I couldn't imagine owning one if your not doing your own maintenance, you pretty much need to be on it constantly, said I'd never own anything that needed 24 plugs again.

Thanks, I do like the way the early strait tail 310 looks. I bought it, I am happy with paying 20 k for it, glad thats all it was.. the engines go through oil as fast as I drank beer.. almost, one burns it the other blows it out, but as long as I keep 7 quarts in it it runs like a champ. Flown two 1000 mile trips and she did great, FAST, I like seeing 200 mph groundspeed on the gps. Little bit hard to land smooth.. still figuring that one out. Its fun and looking forward to a more long trips in it. In for annual now and with my local IA, I dont see anything major wrong, going to do a couple mods to it, reroute the oil breather tubes out over the wing between the exhaust, a common mod that keeps the gear and flaps oil free, like this guy did to his '56 310 below

AiZebxO.png

Not a bad price. They really are the ultimate cross country machine, I think we could get down to 18gph with power pulled way back and still do 150mph.
Make sure those fuel selectors are snapped into the detents properly, the actual selector valves are out by the engines and a long shaft with some u-joints runs up to the selector levers on the floor in the cockpit. All that linkage gets sloppy, always turn the lever past the desired position until you feel it click in rather then just look at the levers position on the floor plate.

Supercub1999 I flew 310's quite a bit in the 80's hauling bank mail at night. On getting a smooth landing out of a 310 you kind of fly it on with the throttles coming to idle just as you touch the mains. Thats what worked for me. Somewhere I have a picture I took of mixed rime ice all over the airplane with about 6 inches stuck on the front of the tip tanks(not recommended) probably helped that I was young,dumb and unnecessarily brave. I think its great you are keeping a 310 in the game. So many of them are unloved sitting on tie downs with flat tires.

Have you ever noticed on the ATM drive through, there are BRAILLE instructions on it also? Flying blind is one thing.....

Back