• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another thread on Steve's Gascolator

md11freighter

FRIEND
Wasilla
I'm just finishing my first annual and updating my new to me 1953 A model. As everything is going together I figured I'd update the gascolator to a Steve's gascolator. Everyone is always touting how easy it was to replace the old leaky stock one.
I must be missing something....both me and the mechanic were looking at the fuel system and decided to just leave the stock Gascolator in place. It looks like I have to remove the interior on the firewall to loosen the mounting bracket from the firewall to disconnect the fuel line and remove the gascolator. My mechanic said it looks like a nice project for next years annual, is there an easier way to remove the old gascolator than disassembling the interior? I'm headed to the hangar so I'll take some pictures then.

Thanks

Brett

Brett...

Swing the engine mount... no need to remove the bracket on a cub... only thing you need to do interior wise is take the fuel line and fitting off the original and reinstall on the new one... the small mods that need to be done to the bracket can be done with it still on the firewall...

I’m not bragging but I have got install time down to less than 30 minutes on a cub... helps to be the manufacture though.. [emoji6]

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely the BEST fire insurance available on a piper with a stock Allis Chalmers gascolator is Steve’s And it’s easy to install if the fittings have not frozen in place over 50 or 60 years....careful use with a electric heat gun helps with them sometimes also.
dave

As of yesterday, the cub and the 180 both have them! (Brian, does our 172 have one?)

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,823
As of yesterday, the cub and the 180 both have them! (Brian, does our 172 have one?)

Steve,

No... The 172 you have had a good Late model Cessna unit... I only advocate replacing the later model ones if major components are corroded out to the point of needing replacement... Just the bowl on one of those is close to the same cost as my complete unit... A rebuild kit for one of those is just over $100 from McFarlane, so as long as the bones are good I just rebuild them.

Brian.

I don't remeber ever having to swing the engine mount. SJ's does have the Thrustline mod which gives more clearance there. Disconnect fuel line from inside the cockpit at the firewall, then unscrew the elbow through the firewall. Remove the gascolator. Drill the holes out in the bracket for AN3 bolts, file the notch for the cotter pin that locks the bowl.

Back