Thread: Mods

Post Thanks / Like

Mods

I would like to get the new style fowler flaps installed on the cub wings I am taking apart to rebuild in the near future... probably next year all start lol. But I was curious if they are worth the price you pay for them. If you were rebuilding stock cub wings what mods would you put on them and why?

Post Thanks / Like
    VGs only. They are light, reduce stall speed, and make it more difficult to spin.
    Likes NunavutPA-12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely: -Dodge Hurricane tie-downs. A lot of security for not much cost and weight.
    -Wig-Wag lighting system. Increased recognition and safety. Consider one in each wing to increase distance between lights. Others have
    mounted to landing gear, which would greatly simplify things, but I think distance between the lights will get noticed better.
    -Modern nav lights. Less current draw, bulbs less expensive, ability to add flash/strobe/etc. on wing tips.
    -Univair stamped butt rib. Not really a mod, but a sturdy structure to glue fabric to and attach wing fairings.

Probably: -2000 gross weight increase. Likely increased resale appeal/value and utility.
    -Dodge upper lift strut reinforcement. Likely need to replace bracket anyway after all these years. Need to examine existing brackets.

Maybe: -Dakota 24 gallon fuel tanks. Increases utility of plane and resale appeal. A lot would depend on condition of existing tanks. They're likely
    50+ years old, depending on the age of your plane or last time wings rebuilt. Note, I put a 24 gallon tank in during my rebuild and have
    not regretted it.

Jim
    Thanks Eddy Lewis thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, CamTom12 liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks like you can install the split flaps on covered plane... installation instructions here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ridiculousness View Post
    I would like to get the new style fowler flaps installed on the cub wings I am taking apart to rebuild in the near future... probably next year all start lol. But I was curious if they are worth the price you pay for them. If you were rebuilding stock cub wings what mods would you put on them and why?
    Read this thread. The PStol flaps would be very high on my wing mods list for any Cub. I sure wouldn't trade mine for stock style flaps.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...nce+stol+flaps
    Last edited by stewartb; 02-07-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    As addressed above, wiring for lights. Use LED nav and strobe combination lights. Much smaller wires than incandescent lights. Same with LED landing lights. Smaller wires means easier to install harness and lighter weight. Plus the reduced electrical load means smaller alternator required.

If you want to pulse the landing lights use a MaxPulse controller. Small, light, doesn't get hot, and simple to install.

Keep in mind that if you add other items such as remote magnetic sensor (flux valve), electric stall or AOA indicators, or pitot heat, be sure to get the wires/plumbing in place BEFORE the fabric goes on. Some of these items can go from and hour or two without fabric, to a day or two once the fabric is on.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Square out the wing tip and extend ailerons to the end, helps plane fly slower and faster. Dakota cub tips great all around tip. Pstol flaps better vis over the nose, slower landing. Big tanks, I never seem to have enough fuel. Gross weight, just to be legal in case you crash. Univair rib on inside and tip, as noted above. What the people above recommended, because they are correct.
    DENNY
    Likes bush4 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    Square out the wing tip and extend ailerons to the end
    DENNY
    how much weight does this add?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on ribs, type of splice, new spar, tip, how far out you go, etc. Looks like Dakota cub stock vs squared out wing is around 6-7 lb difference from some numbers Steve posted a while back.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akwing View Post
    how much weight does this add?
    It usually adds more lift than it weighs.
    N1PA
    Likes Oliver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the wing on the new 4 place cub, that is about as good as it gets for a certified cub.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    A new 4 place certified Cub? Link, please?

Not that I could afford one . . . I could probably afford a 180 Cessna.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    A new 4 place certified Cub? Link, please?

Not that I could afford one . . . I could probably afford a 180 Cessna.
    http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...oking-Airplane