• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub Cruise Speed 41 pitch prop

ridiculousness

I have 31" tires on an "A" Model Super Cub. I have the vortex generators on it, and the Atlee Dodge exhaust... anyway it cruises at 75mph to 78mph. I want to put 35" tires on it and was curious how much of a drop in airspeed at cruise I will get. thanks

I repitched my prop to about 42.5, cruises at 95mph with 35's at 2400.
The difference in speed is far better than the minimal performance short field for me from 41 pitch.
John

I have 31" tires on an "A" Model Super Cub. I have the vortex generators on it, and the Atlee Dodge exhaust... anyway it cruises at 75mph to 78mph. I want to put 35" tires on it and was curious how much of a drop in airspeed at cruise I will get. thanks

75-78 seems awfully slow. I have a 41” borer, 26” goodyears, vgs and see 90mph at 2350 rpm cruise. 105 @ 2750 rpm WOT.
At 2750 my airspeed shows 115 mph but its a pretty optimistic gauge.

My speeds are at 3000 msl

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

You want speed? A Mooney will do it. At 3000' I am getting maybe 120 in a Decathlon with C/S prop. But cheer up - we had a 160hp very light and otherwise stock Cub here that would do 115 mph at 7.5 gph. Every single mod it got knocked a few off that. My first flight in a Super Cub was in an absolute stock factory 150. It even had 8:00x4s. Just me and half fuel it was 110! Blew me away! Hard to get back in the J-3 after that.

Most of the Cubs I fly now are 90mph airplanes. All have mods.

Bob,
You missed his question, he wanted info on cub with 35" tires and Borer prop. I just responded what mine does with slightly repitched Borer prop and 35's.
All cubs can go faster without Borer prop, stock cub delivered props are fast, but no low end.
I have two Husky's that will fly circles around a cub. But I like my cub too, especially with the Airframes/Kellerflaps for extra slow speed. But also do like to go a bit faster than 80-90 mph, so repitched the Borer for some speed, if one can say that in a cub!
Goes 95mph on floats too! Faster than on 35's!!!
John

90ish mph with 31s and 41” prop/2500rpm. 86ish mph at same rpm w/ 35s. 2350 rpm is loping along. If you want to go faster turn it up......84 37 catto does about the same but that’s criminal to run

90ish mph with 31s and 41” prop/2500rpm. 86ish mph at same rpm w/ 35s. 2350 rpm is loping along. If you want to go faster turn it up......84 37 catto does about the same but that’s criminal to run

Yeah need to quite running the cub like a cherokee 6 lol. My dad harps at everyone to run at 2350 i usually run at 2400rpm and according to the other people that fly our cub they get 83mph with 31" tires so that sounds about right, and only 4 mph difference! Im sold! i have to get a pair of 35's now!

I am going to send one of my spare props in and get it re-pitched to 42.5. During sports fishing season id rather have speed then take off performance, cruising around at 83mph all day doesn't cut it.

What will you gain with 35s? Are you at 150hp cub. Not sure you will gain, rather loose on take off roll? 35s are cool, but 31s do the job well.

Wow. PA-12, with SC gear, Crosswinds leading edges, Micro VGs, 31 Bushwheels, I get mid 90's TAS. With 26 Bushwheels slightly faster and with 8.50's upper 90's. Statute miles, not knots though - -

What will you gain with 35s? Are you at 150hp cub. Not sure you will gain, rather loose on take off roll? 35s are cool, but 31s do the job well.

I have a few places in mind that i would like to use 35" tires for moose/bear season. i really want to get those nice shock absorbers too. My 31" tires are 8 years old now and I acquired some 10inch rims so i would like to try them out. I have 160hp cub.

Yeah need to quite running the cub like a cherokee 6 lol. My dad harps at everyone to run at 2350 i usually run at 2400rpm and according to the other people that fly our cub they get 83mph with 31" tires so that sounds about right, and only 4 mph difference! Im sold! i have to get a pair of 35's now!
Over the years it seams like 90% of the 150hp Cubs I have flown with 31"
Tires and a 82/42 Borer prop run 85mph on a gps with no wind at 2350.
Of course old guide cubs are usually crooked and twisted. Your mileage may vary......
John your Cub going 95mph on 35" tires sounds like an exceptional performer. Must be dead straight and rigged perfectly. [emoji6]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Mine goes 95 with a 43 pitch borer. Does 85 with the sensinch 80-38 wood prop. Turns 2620 at 65 on climb out. 160hp and 35’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a Titian 370, 31s, Catto 84x45, 2550 RPMs @ 9000 MSL I true at 117 mph. fuel flow @ 9.5. At 2400 we get 110 mph @ 7.5 gph. Like that CATTO. smooth as butter.

BTW -she is for sale...

Turbo,
Guess we are lucky, it is a pretty fast one, and rigged right. The engine has been 'tweaked' by Lycon, so that may add to the mix, dyno at 197HP at 2700rpm. Faster on floats than with 35's, I think they are not worth the weight and speed unless one really needs them, I prefer the 31's.
John

My cub is on the slower side. It has the 160 with a 43 pitch borer, cruises 85 mph at 2350 rpm on 29" tires and burns around 5.1 gph. But then it's a cub, and where I go I don't need much speed. I can only imagine how slow 35s would make it go?
Eddy

Back