• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EarthX and B&C Charging System

Eddie, front and center! We need a chemical engineers take, here.

There are several types of batteries that use lithium and (something else). EarthX batteries are NOT lithium-ion construction. They are lithium-iron phosphate. Different chemicals in the mixture means different reactions to charge rate and heat. Also like to point out the human error in most of these 'smoke/fire' incidents. The article pointed out by Mr. Pierce states that the owner had completely discharged this battery ('flattened' it). Since that depletion the battery has failed to consistently hold a charge. He admits that on the flight in which the fire occurred, he left the jump pack connected for the flight. AND he ignored charge/voltage warnings and continued to fly. All part of the cascade of events.

Another point to consider if imagining the EarthX in the above situation, is that EarthX has their BMI circuit which shuts off the battery when the voltage drops to a set level. This would have protected the battery from a complete discharge and any damage that would result from it.

Web

EarthX batteries are NOT lithium-ion construction. They are lithium-iron phosphate. Different chemicals in the mixture means different reactions to charge rate and heat.
Web
lithium-ion or lithium-iRon It is so easy to confuse since there is only one letter difference in the spelling. Especially since most folks just call them all lithium batteries. Perhaps when we are looking to buy a lithium battery we should first ask ourselves if the battery is "Strong like Iron?".

Something I have observed and been guilty of myself is installing the B&C in a place that limits accessibility to the connection terminals and the adjustment port. I finally went through the pain of rectifying mine. It's a good thing to keep in mind if you are going to use EarthX or similar battery. Another consideration is the under used terminal number 2 on the B&C regulator. It is used to test the over voltage system. A momentary jump between terminals 6 and 2 sets it off and lets you know if the 5 amp breaker is working. I have tested the unit on the bench by running the voltage past 16.2 but never used terminal 2 while the regulator was installed. B&C recommends this test at annual as I recall.

Jerry

Thanks for that reference, Jerry. That's good information for this discussion.

Here's the installation test instruction from the manual. As an EarthX user I think I'll add step B to my condition inspection list.

Test the installation as follows —
A. Low-voltage indication: turn the battery master switch ON, and observe the incandescent warning light. Depending on the condition of the battery, this light may or may not flash. If it does not begin flashing, turn on the landing light or the nav lights to lower the battery voltage sufficiently to make the warning light start to flash (typically between 12.5 and 13 volts; or 25 and 26 volts on 28v models).
B. Over-voltage protection: with the battery master switch ON, turn the alternator field switch ON. Touch a jumper wire momentarily between terminal #2 and terminal #6; this should cause the 5A field breaker to open (thus confirming the function of the over- voltage protection circuit). Failure of the field breaker to open is cause for investigation.
C. System charging: start the engine according to normal procedure. With the engine running and the battery master switch ON, turn the alternator field switch ON. An increase in bus voltage to 14 to 14.4 volts (or 28 to 28.8 volts) should be observed, depending on the electrical load, engine RPM, and type of alternator (refer to the supporting documents for the alternator to determine the RPM at which measurable output may be expected). The low-voltage warning light should no longer flash.

Back