Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations by an old guy

Post Thanks / Like

Observations by an old guy

Got Private Pilot in 1970. Now back in Maine after 15 yrs in Colorado. Divorced x 2, live with my Wonderdog, Yoda. (Has his own FACEBOOK page)
    Owned 7 different Honda Motorcycles, 4 of them were GoldWings. Had 2 different sailboats with my second wife. Sailed the Bahamas many times.

She and I noticed while sailing, that the "Triad of Excitement" seemed very common.

Pilot,

Sailor,

Motorcyclist. (She was a student pilot, but never rode MC's)

So an informal survey: How many of the members of this group ALSO sail and ride m/c's?

Cheers
    Bob
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not me. Jet boats and 4 wheelers. Sailing's too slow and 2 wheelers tip over.
    Thanks Flying_Fin thanked for this post
    Likes Flying_Fin, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Previously, much sailing (8 real boats and 2 windsurfers over 12 years) and off-road motorcycles in the winter... Then golf, now flying!
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes mike mcs repair, Flying_Fin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Gave up on the bikes in the early 80s when the kids were little. Too many close calls. Still sailing, but not as much as I would like.

Taking my son (hat) and the grandkids out on a calm day. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170804_113606948 (2).jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	41199

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoyed sailing when I had the opportunity, (very little), but commercial fishing sort of weaned me on big water.

Like Stewart- jet boats, airboats. I do have a 4 wheeler, but compared to track rigs they are for amateurs!

Motorbikes... only have two BMW's currently, you are welcome to come grab one and tour our state if you would like.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes Flying_Fin, mike mcs repair, WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I got all the boating I wanted courtesy of Uncle Sugar, so owning a boat is not in my plans. A few years ago a friend bought a sailboat and I go sailing with him a few times a summer. Figured out sailing is rather therapeutic but not enough to own a boat.
    I use motorcycles as my main mode of travel wx permitting. I have several brands but just bought my first Goldwing recently. Great motorcycles.
    Flying, I made a living at it for 38 years. Now when I fly its on my own schedule, that is nice.
    Observation by this old guy is aviation folks are multi taskers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sailed as a kid, still have an old Hobie 14 I bought used 30+ years ago and a Sailfish I put together from a couple abandon boats. Sailing the wind teaches you more then mashing a throttle. Rode a CL 350 to high school, 650 Yamaha to the farm and a shovelhead 10 years ago, rest were dirt bikes. Get my jollies now on a Trail 90.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Flying_Fin, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flybynite View Post
    Gave up on the bikes in the early 80s when the kids were little. Too many close calls. Still sailing, but not as much as I would like.

Taking my son (hat) and the grandkids out on a calm day. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170804_113606948 (2).jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	41199

Wayne
    Nice looking Thistle, crewed one a few times they are very elegant in light winds... anytime someone complained about having to wear a trapeze harness on one of my catamarans (Hobie 14, 14T, 16, & 17, Prindle 15 & 16, NACRA 5.2 and the International Tornado) I showed them what Thistle sailors get to sit on when it picks up .

Kirby
    Likes Flying_Fin, flybynite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoying the replies to my thread. Happy landings all.

Reading the NTSB Aviation database about PA-18 accidents. Sobering stuff, especially the ones that involved fatalities.

I don't think it is macabre but educational. A reminder of basics. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, Airspeed, Attitude, Action.

Cheers all.
    BobClick image for larger version. 

Name:	40903458_10156838863404060_739331895057186816_n.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	41200
    Life is not a dress rehearsal, and is a fatal condition...make it count. It's a good landing if you can still open the doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m with you Bob, not as old as you but have been riding my whole life. KTM exc250f, Triumph Bonneville and just picked up a Softail Deluxe. Just got off a 32 foot sloop for a week of diving in the Caymans. Have rented a 52’ Fountaine Pejot in the Drake Chanel many times. Just a rental though, wouldn’t want to own one.
    I know a few other pilots that sail and ride. Glenn Curtiss comes to mind.
    Likes Flying_Fin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sort of a lightweight compared to the others, but I used to ride moto-cross and I would change irrigation or herd cows on a Suzuki 185 enduro.

I started sailing when I was 10 and put a mast with a tarp on a floating log and sailed the width of Lake McDonald in Glacier park. Later I built sailboats over the years, and even won a Beetlecat race on Lake Union in Seattle.

Now I have a homemade outboard-jetboat and a few homemade kayaks, plus a 16 foot sailing dory that I take out on the river.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sold your Tri-Pacer and bought a Cub huh? Congrats.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I sold N7750D and bought N121WP. I thought I was done flying, but got a little money from insurance when my brother died, and decided he'd want me to spend some of it on a plane. He flew with me.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal, and is a fatal condition...make it count. It's a good landing if you can still open the doors.
    Likes C-FIJK, aktango58, PerryB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Motorcycles are what you buy the Captain when you are his co-pilot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, learned to sail in the 80's when I lived in Bellingham, WA...loved it! Dream is someday to get an old wooden cruiser and make our way up the inside passage a little at a time, and enjoy the scenery. Just gotta get not so busy! hahha Grew up on a dirt bike and gradually made my way to Harleys, but not the big barges..hardtails, kick only, etc... it's not as much fun to ride anymore..seems like too many out there that are trying to kill you! Probably should sell the bike, but just can't stand to not see her in the hangar when I go out there.
    John
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Done dirt bikes, road bikes and sailing. Flying floats is the best��
    Likes Brandsman, skywagon8a, Flying_Fin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nine personal airplanes since 1974...63 motorcycles since 1960...no sails but maybe some day if the skiff kicker ever quits.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Still not mature enough for motorcycle on road, but will occasionally ride off-road. However completely enamoured with wind power. Have a Prindle 17 for use in the Adks, annually bareboat on a larger yacht. Take the wife and kids. My 2&4 year olds have been been every year. The goal is to sail them around the world and voulenteer in 2025. We just got back from a week on this beautiful machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4384F126-CAF0-4998-BF4F-7BE5617A12CE.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	41206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	674F9B29-AE1B-4975-A061-6CF62C0E9837.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	41207
    Likes Flying_Fin, Hardtailjohn, flywhatever liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "Crew" a C&C 40+ on Pen Bay and beyond in the summer as wind tactician, morale/morals officer and cook. Great time! Hobie Cat and Whaler Squall at the Big Lake for freshwater adventurers. Favorite toy is the 13' Whaler Classic Sport. 125 cc scooter for zipping about Bangor, Maine and a company issued Scooby Roo.

Name:	2018-06-23 16.36.37.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	41209

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Last edited by JP; 02-01-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Parked the motorcycle after witnessing a fatal accident. Have also lost some airline pilot friends to motorcycle accidents. Too much risk for me now especially with those drivers who spend too much time playing with their phones. Bad enough dodging them with my truck. Sold the 47' sailboat after many enjoyable years, now just use my 14' Flying Dutchman Jr which my Dad bought in 1957. There was nothing more relaxing than single handing the 47 footer up and down Eggemoggin reach just playing with the wind.

Name:	Lena.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	41208
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 02-01-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad built his first wooden sailboat when I was around four (in the front of the boat). Mom sewed the sails and everything. It was called "Polly Esther" for obvious reasons...

Name:	polly.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	41210

Second bike, a 71 Honda CL350. yep, that's a pack of Lucky's in my shirt - really glad now I had the sense to quit that habit 35 years ago!

Name:	secondbike.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	41211

Last bike, which I sold a few years back to pay for new AC in the house...

Name:	lastbike.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	41212

I still ride friends bikes from time to time, but am very picky about where and never at night.

The other thing I have noticed about pilots, is a lot of them are also musicians...

Name:	barbie.jpg 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	41213

We love living on a lake, and although we can't have floatplanes here, and we don't currently own a sailboat, we sure enjoy going out with friends on theirs!

Name:	thanksgivingsail.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	41214

But right now we finally got some ice... so it is time for this to happen again! (again, a neighbors, not ours)

Name:	iceicebaby.jpg 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	41215
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/196u...ew?usp=sharing

Back in the late 90's, I totaled my NEXT TO THE LAST Goldwing, and broke 9 ribs. Most painful thing to ever happen, and I bought one more GW so I could quit when I chose, not when the road conditions did. (June Bug hit me in face, and I was going around a curve, which I failed to negotiate) Click link above to see what ribs look like after healing. The pain lasted several years, and one or two ribs took forever to finally stop rubbing on each other.

No more motorcycles for me, but I did do them with enjoyment...until.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    "Crew" a C&C 40+ on Pen Bay and beyond in the summer as wind tactician, morale/morals officer and cook. Great time! Hobie Cat and Whaler Squall at the Big Lake for freshwater adventurers. Favorite toy is the 13' Whaler Classic Sport. 125 cc scooter for zipping about Bangor, Maine and a company issued Scooby Roo.

Name:	2018-06-23 16.36.37.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	41209

Lots of MAINE folks here. We need to plan a gathering once the Polar Vortex is behind us.

Cheers
    Bob
    Likes JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sailing would be great fun I just never had the opportunity or knew someone who did. Learn the wind like powered flying when the engine quits or better yet in a sailplane.

Motorcycles can teach and help maintain cognitive mental and muscle motor skills as we age: http://www.bicproductions.com/this-i...-a-motorcycle/

Like flying it's a use it or loose it proposition. As I fly less my tolerance for risk decreases and my skills corrode, but that's not an uncommon trait as we age. It's up to us to manage the rate with challenging activity. Only hanging around old people can drag us down even quicker.

Gary
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to play with an ice boat a few years back when we had clear ice, what a blast. I would build one if we had more clear ice. It snows a couple times a week so very little clear ice.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes OLDCROWE, jrussl, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Got to play with an ice boat a few years back when we had clear ice, what a blast. I would build one if we had more clear ice. It snows a couple times a week so very little clear ice.

Glenn
    At least you get ice (one of the few reasons I would want it). I sailed a DN once at Wichita and it was a hoot. Used to have a Manta sail trike, it was way fun right up until I wrapped it around a light pole one night at the Fair Grounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got a Valkyrie and an airplane and have always wanted to learn sailing. Never had enough spare time when I lived close enough to the water to learn to sail. I will one day, though.

The Valk’s a monster and my favorite non-flying transportation.
    Thanks Beaverpilot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to managed risk, I don't do activities because they're safe. I do them because they are dangerous and give me that needed rush of adrenaline. If I was wanting the safest way through life I would stay away from flying all together, keeping it nice and safe behind this keyboard.
    Thanks Beaverpilot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Fly my Rans S7 and ride my BMW GS. Probably to old for this(83 in May) but nah, having to much fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	Image1549061396.311452.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	478.2 KB 
ID:	41232

Don’t sail yet, but picked up this gem of a boat a few months ago. Not sure to fix it up to sail or use it as a hunting camp. Other than that I ride a Ktm 1190r and been all over the country with it, I’ve also owned and wrecked all kinds of other bikes.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes Flying_Fin, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much of a sailor but I have done a little, and if the world was coming to an end I think I could make one go. I have had plenty of motorbikes an a couple of airplanes. Motorbikes are my favorite now because they are cheaper.... And like others, not much of a road bike guy. I like off-road. Been looking hard at the New CRF450L. Taught my daughter to ride last year!

Name:	IMG_4386.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	41235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4140.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	41236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4147.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	41234
    Thanks Flying_Fin, FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes Flying_Fin, OLDCROWE, jrussl, OldCuby, JP and 2 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only sailed a couple times but I've owned a few hi-perf power boats, two jets and two props. Loved 'em all. I've owned dirt bikes and one street cruiser. Currently have 4 atv's. The airplane angle?? I think that goes without saying, hooked for life. I grew up flying a Breezy, Decathlon, Skybolt (260), 206, Ag-Truck and an Air Tractor 301(R1340). Currently have a sweetheart of a -12 with all the good mods and light. Do I qualify as one of the "Old guys" ? I hope so!!

PS- and FWIW, I turned 55 last week. What I can't figure is... I was 30 just a couple years ago. --- What happened, where did it go??
    Last edited by PerryB; 02-01-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !
    Likes Poor Joe, Brandsman, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Have done motorcycles and planes my whole life. Puttered around with a little day sailor in my 20s, but didn't find it to be fast enough for me then. Live on a lake now and enjoy kayaking and the pontoon docked behind the house. Have owned 10 planes since '76, and 9 motorcycles since '72, Currently flying a Stretch KR and a SuperCub Clone, and riding a Honda PC-800 Pacific Coast. Raced motocross in my 20's but gave it up when I broke my leg on my motocross bike shortly after I got married.
    Thanks Beaverpilot, tempdoug thanked for this post
    Likes tempdoug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Builder View Post
    Have done motorcycles and planes my whole life. Puttered around with a little day sailor in my 20s, but didn't find it to be fast enough for me then. Live on a lake now and enjoy kayaking and the pontoon docked behind the house. Have owned 10 planes since '76, and 9 motorcycles since '72, Currently flying a Stretch KR and a SuperCub Clone, and riding a Honda PC-800 Pacific Coast. Raced motocross in my 20's but gave it up when I broke my leg on my motocross bike shortly after I got married.
    A sunfish or sailfish on a brisk day will make you think your America cup material. An Oday sailor is more of a wine and cheese type sailing machine

Glenn
    Likes JP, OLDCROWE, Brandsman, super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arnold bronson View Post
    Fly my Rans S7 and ride my BMW GS. Probably to old for this(83 in May) but nah, having to much fun.
    Had lunch today with my Mentor. He just bought a Cardinal. At age 82.

JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com
    Likes mike mcs repair, 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Make my living in a 450 Cat, fly my J3 and a ‘56 182 for fun. Been a few years since I sold my last motorcycle, but I’ve been eyeing a Triumph Bonneville lately. Last time I was on a sailboat was in college with a buddy on his catamaran and a few sorority girls, he went to turn it real tight and flipped it on top of us. My illustrious sailing career and chance with one of those girls ended simultaneously, trapped under a sail on Lake Bryan.
    Likes 1piece@atime, Hardtailjohn, JP, super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    neat correllation!

At 8 and 10 years of age I and my older brother built a 14 foot plywood catamaran from Popular Mechanics plans. Our father let us at it without much intrusion. He later bought "us" a Hobie 14' and then a Hobie 18.

Windsurfers of all shapes followed in my teens.

Motorcycles at the same age started with what were once called "enduro's" TS 125 Suzuki and KE 100 Kawi. I remember wanting a 90Kawi since I could touch the ground with my feet on that one.

Other dirt and road bikes since then. Still have a Kawi Concours and Suzuki 125 bigwheel.

Nowadays the sailing is a Kite and a hydrofoil board. There is nothing cooler! check it out.

I think the sailing led to a love of lightweight and slow flying vehicles.

Anyone else doing the Kitesurfing? Bob Breeden took a lesson a few weeks ago. He owns a big keelboat by the way.
    Likes Brandsman, JP, courierguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s a pic from last weekend combining motorcycling and flying. Using the 1970 Rokon to pull the plane back in the hanger after a unsuccessful day of fishing . Nothing like the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1549460658.946076.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	41324

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    A sunfish or sailfish on a brisk day will make you think your America cup material.
    We used to call that "swimming with a fiberglass floatie."

Post Thanks / Like
    Me about 1974 on my 1972 850 Moto Guzzi Eldorado. Also, had a BMW R75/5 in late 80's.

Name:	MeMotoGuzzi.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	792.0 KB 
ID:	41326
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MeMotoGuzzi.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	475.8 KB 
ID:	41325  
    Likes Hardtailjohn, WWhunter liked this post