• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental Cub Kit with Slotted Wing 180 Hp and Big wheels any suggestions on kits

Old school. Slats were first invented in 1918 but became a thing in 1919.

Handley Page developed the Handley Page Slat (or slot, see slats), an auxiliary airfoil mounted ahead and over the main wing, which formed a narrow opening running along the leading edge of the wing to improve airflow at high angles of attack.[SUP][4][/SUP] The leading edge slat was simultaneously designed by the German aerodynamicist Gustav Lachmann, who was later employed by Handley Page. The design was so successful that licensing fees to other companies was their main source of income in the early 1920s.

Attachments

• slatplane01.jpg
    slatplane01.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,184
Last edited:
Opera Snapshot_2019-02-04_101533_www.youtube.com.pngOpera Snapshot_2019-02-04_101630_www.youtube.com.png

A slat deployed in cruise VS a clean wing.

Attachments

• Opera Snapshot_2019-02-04_101533_www.youtube.com.png
    Opera Snapshot_2019-02-04_101533_www.youtube.com.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Opera Snapshot_2019-02-04_101630_www.youtube.com.png
    Opera Snapshot_2019-02-04_101630_www.youtube.com.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 168
View attachment 41282View attachment 41283

A slat deployed in cruise VS a clean wing.

Didnt install mine for low AOA’s obviously , and discovered only afterwards that they are much more effective at helping the wing than VG’s at producing lift at ALL AOA’s. Was a Unintented benefit that was gained.
I’m sure at the expense of some cruise. Not a factor for me . If I’m going somewhere I chose a different mount.:p

Last edited:
I wonder if adding a short metal trim strip to the bottom of the slat would control the AOA when they deploy? Some sort of right angle piece of metal like a Gurney Flap perpendicular to and sticking down into the airflow that would add more resistance so they fully retract in cruise flight. May just be a solution looking for a problem.

Gary

If you add a good flap to the mix the slats come out a lot sooner than a clean wing..... less AOA. Here's a good demo of the Helio in a couple of you tube videos. One is a old factory video that sux, hard to see. The other is at an airshow with pretty good video. The Helio CAN fly at those high AOAs but doesn't need to........ save that for the flair. .........FWIW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKCRuNYDOh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRU5BLMnOCA

Thx Phil I would be very interested in your machine details and rough cost in home building. Performance and suggestions all appreciated. I will be in the US in April to check some stuff out.

After watching that Langley video would it be that hard to add a slot/slots just behind the leading edge and in front of spar to a stock flap? Looks like it would be beneficial?

Glenn

After watching that Langley video would it be that hard to add a slot/slots just behind the leading edge and in front of spar to a stock flap? Looks like it would be beneficial?

Glenn

isn't that what the backcountry rev 3 wing has? stewart might have a link to the video/picture of it

I think it’s really important to point this out because it’s a common misconception. I do not intend to come across as priggish.

Airplanes have pitch attitudes. Wings have angles of attack.

AoA is the angle between the chord line and the relative wind.

When you change the configuration of the wing (by deploying flaps, and certain leading edge devices (no slats)), you automatically change its AoA by changing its chord line.

It seems like petty semantics but here the words have meanings: the slats on the Helio pop out sooner when the flaps are deployed because at a given fuselage pitch attitude, the wing is flying at a higher AoA with the flaps out than with them retracted.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/geom.html

The new Shock cub has a double slot flap also. My question is how will that opening on the bottom of the wing effect top speed.
DENNY

The new Shock cub has a double slot flap also. My question is how will that opening on the bottom of the wing effect top speed.
DENNY

They should close up when the flaps are retracted. Do the ones on the shock cubs not do that?

Glenn

Isn't that what the Dakota Cub wing is?

Designed after the military slotted cub wing. Pretty incredible wing- just adds weight.

You have to look at the flap to see what I mean. Take a standard flap and add a fixed slot on top of it. Now take that flap and stick on the wing. The top flap seal covers both slots but the bottom now has two open slots instead of one like you have in a normal flap. Looks like it should just bolt on with no extra moving parts.
DENNY

I've seen it both inboard and outboard of the slot. (or one put on the cabane)

855cdc795d46ed6e2d4238bc.jpg

Would an inboard light like the pic above not be taking quit a bit of strength out of the wing cutting into the D cell leading edge? I always thought the leading edge light should not be more then 2-3 rib bays in from the tip, not to mention the glare.

Would an inboard light like the pic above not be taking quit a bit of strength out of the wing cutting into the D cell leading edge? I always thought the leading edge light should not be more then 2-3 rib bays in from the tip, not to mention the glare.

The spar is the main structure there. The rest pretty much holds the correct shape. Lights that close inboard are going to create lots of glare issues.

Web

The farther the light is laterally or vertically from your line of sight, the better you can see......... less light reflected directly back to you.

Confucius say............... :lol:

Here is the airplane exactly configured like the OP and all these discussions are about. Airframes Alaska widebody fuselage, Dakota Cub square tip wings with fixed slots, Lycon 220hp O-360, MT9 constant speed prop. 2200gw, 1270ew. Cruise 110mph, stall 30ish. This airplane performs really well. With a light breeze gets off in a couple of fuselage lengths and lands in 100' without too much drama. I would not use the slotted wing as like bill says it really doesn't start working until you are at a high angle of attack. It is almost stall/spin proof as you can do whatever you want with the stick and pedals and it just wallows around and never breaks. But if it were mine I would go with the Javron wing and Keller flaps. The customer wanted to keep it certified so I had to go with the Airframes Alaska fuselage. I will never use one again. It was not even close to the quality of a Javeron.I know I could do a Javeron in the 1100-1150ew range. So yes this combination works pretty good but I think there are better ways to go.

Attachments

• arie cub.JPG
    arie cub.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 197
  • arie cub1.JPG
    arie cub1.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 166
So yes this combination works pretty good but I think there are better ways to go.

I'm curious about details regarding the slotted wing. It performs really well but you wouldn't use them? Is it because of drag? I know folks talk about them only working at high angles of attack, but that's been balanced by folks who use them day to day.

I have trouble keeping up with the latest, but do you think a Javron wing with Keller flaps is a better choice than a Mackey slatted wing with Keller flaps? Just trying to sort out things.

Also, for anyone to answer--Can one still get the Mackey slats as a kit? Other than this thread, it seems like discussion on them dropped off around 2013.

Thanks,
Vic

They are heavy, roll rate is less than a Javron square tip wing and angle of attack. The customer insisted that i use the Dakota Cub wings so that's what I used. The customer is always right.

Back