• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

how cold is it where your at?

Starting to get some frost on the ground every morning around here. Only gonna make it to about 40 degrees for a high today, but is supposed to be back in the 50s later this week. Not quite ready for winter yet!

Minus 5C (23F) to minus 15C (5F) here (day/night)

The Coppermine River is frozen, but not safe enough to walk on yet.

DSCN0477.jpg

The smaller lakes will be safe enough for a light ski-plane in about a week.

DSCN0479.jpg

This part of the actic ocean will be wide open for at least another month.

DSCN0478.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0477.jpg
    DSCN0477.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN0479.jpg
    DSCN0479.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN0478.jpg
    DSCN0478.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 169
Forecast is for below zero (F) temps for lows here this weekend. Trimmed the posies yesterday......and loaded the car for winter.

MTV

We had our first snowfall here in Oshkosh last evening. They've had some snow up in the northern part of the state earlier this month, but it's been rain so far down here (almost 5 inches the other day). Last night it turned to snow, which still covers the ground this morning. Glad it's going to warm up enough to melt it in the next day or so.

Did I mention that I hate snow! :eek:

Snowed ten inches plus here on Saturday, and -10F this morning. I think I can put the lawn mower away....

MTV

Record cold and snow for Montana in October. We had 16” of snow Friday night and the last two mornings have been a little below and a little above zero. Elk season opened Saturday and that made for an unusual hunt with that much snow so early. I was fortunate to find a bull and he’ll soon be warming up in the freezer. :)

67F32740-4C9B-49C5-871B-35FBC78D8BCD.jpeg

sometime early Saturday morning. Glad we have a full supply of wood.

Attachments

• 67F32740-4C9B-49C5-871B-35FBC78D8BCD.jpeg
    67F32740-4C9B-49C5-871B-35FBC78D8BCD.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 151
Dang, here I thought it was bad in northern MN after having record breaking snow last week! 15 this morning which would feel like a heat wave compare to you guys in Montana and Nebraska!

Good part is, started finding deer scrapes last week and a little more movement of the wildlife. Wolves in the area seem to have the deer on high alert.

Snowed ten inches plus here on Saturday, and -10F this morning. I think I can put the lawn mower away....

MTV

That reminds me !!!
Better go see if I remember where I left mine.
60* next week. Might have to wait til then !!

We got a bit over 13" on Friday night/Saturday morning. Then yesterday it was a balmy -16. I figured we were in for it again when it was -7 at midnight, but it warmed up to 0 by daylight. Now they're saying high 40's for the rest of the week.....that's gonna be a nice mess!
John

Coolest thing I've ever seen. Walking the new Pup around the unplowed airport. Was walking to the east. Gorgeous afternoon. Ground fog started forming. A local turbine Beaver on wheel skis lined up and landed to the west, dropping into ground fog that nearly obscured it from by viewpoint. The wing vortices played in the fog while the airplane stayed mostly invisible. A mind movie I'll remember for a long, long time. Loving airport living.

This pic was about 5 minutes before the Beaver arrival.

Attachments

• 58703E02-3155-40E9-A47A-952AF031EE2F.jpeg
    58703E02-3155-40E9-A47A-952AF031EE2F.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 231
Great pic Stewart Good pup! Yes it happens and often enough to obscure the LZ so don't mess around with look-sees if it's expected. It's caused by cooled moisture saturated air looking for a fog nucleus and vertical mixing disturbance (it's de plane, boss!) to create. Had it happen many times trapping shallow basin lakes in Alaska's Interior mid-winter, particularly right after a recent snow event that energizes the humidity and lowers the dew point.

Gary

Yes. We just put down our third Airedale in 36 yrs. It's real quiet here. I'll try for one more but the breed is not common. All dogs bring a better life into ours especially when they challenge our routines.

Gary

About 26F this morning in the hills above Homer Alaska.
Should warm up to above freezing down at the airport.

Third day of rain at 32-34 degrees, one more to go... GROSS

kirby< is there a lot of geese down there now, here in N. Dak. around my place theres very few. last week we had such bad weather and very strong north winds, im thinking they only had to flap 3 times to get down there so they took advantage of it?

-3 yesterday morning. 31 this morning, but snowing good...we've got about 6-7" on the flats.... feeding cows a month early this year.:sad:

It was 86* today. It's odd to watch oak trees turn color and lose leaves on an 86* autumn day.

If I ever find myself watching oak trees turn color at 86 degrees I will know that I have died and gone straight to hell.

Spent the day trenching trail in 2' new snow with the dogs walking on the backs of my skis the whole way. It was 25 degrees, sunny. You are missing out.:)

Jerry

Back