• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Is 70 too old?

Eddie Foy

South Florida
I learned today that a lot of insurance companies don't want to insure anyone over 69. Has anyone else heard this?

if they are pilots and over 69 none of them have 'heard' much of anything for years....

Some insurance companies want an annual medical if you’re over 70. Some will waive that for a higher premium. Some, like mine, are happy to insure me and my Bonanza when I am 73 and flying on Basic med. When I had the Legend cub I had Falcon and they had no special requirement for people over 70.

Shop around.

Falcon is an agency. They only put you with a company. I am 70 and with Old Republic. I was told today by a different broker that they don't write new policys for 69 and older. Old Republic just offered me a renewal at a good price, though.

I am shopping. That is how I learned of this situation.

Some insurance companies want an annual medical if you’re over 70. Some will waive that for a higher premium. Some, like mine, are happy to insure me and my Bonanza when I am 73 and flying on Basic med. When I had the Legend cub I had Falcon and they had no special requirement for people over 70.

Shop around.

Falcon is an agency. They only put you with a company. I am 70 and with Old Republic. I was told today by a different broker that they don't write new policys for 69 and older. Old Republic just offered me a renewal at a good price, though.

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I am also with an agency. As far as I am concerned, as long as they get me coverage at a fair price, I’m happy. I have not used an insurance company without going through a broker for a very long time.

Glad you got an acceptable deal. Before this I had not heard of a company refusing to write coverage based solely on age. I had heard of several cases where additional requirements were added, like the annual medical or a premium bump.

Rich

Eddie

When my father turned 80 I started getting pushback from my insurance company on the Cub and 180. They continued to write him though until he voluntarily hung up his goggles at 89.
We should all be so lucky! His secret, If he had one, was he continued to hold a First Class Medical until he was 89!

Lou

I am almost 78. Avemco wants me back! My rates have not changed much in a very long time. I expect that to change when I turn 80. My insurance wants a third class each year, but in the fine print it says that Sport or BasicMed will do. Check your fine print.

72 flying a Spezio and light 1-place Acroduster 2 LSA w/o med. with Falcon no issue yet.

No one has asked me what class of Medical I hold.

Eddie

When my father turned 80 I started getting pushback from my insurance company on the Cub and 180. They continued to write him though until he voluntarily hung up his goggles at 89.
We should all be so lucky! His secret, If he had one, was he continued to hold a First Class Medical until he was 89!

Lou

Who are you with?

I am almost 78. Avemco wants me back! My rates have not changed much in a very long time. I expect that to change when I turn 80. My insurance wants a third class each year, but in the fine print it says that Sport or BasicMed will do. Check your fine print.

I learned today that a lot of insurance companies don't want to insure anyone over 69. Has anyone else heard this?

My newest flying student is getting his license for the first time at 73. The club he joined had no problem with it. I used to fly with a 78 year old neighbor of mine - he had HUGE liability limits so they made him get a medical every year and do a mini-flight training refresher every year.

sj

No one has asked me what class of Medical I hold.

In my experience they usually want to know:
class & date of last medical
date of last flight review
accidents or violations / enforcement actions
flight time, including hours flown in the last 12 months

Old Republic asked for all that except class of medical.

In my experience they usually want to know:
class & date of last medical
date of last flight review
accidents or violations / enforcement actions
flight time, including hours flown in the last 12 months

Eddie - Southwest Aviation in Phoenix is my broker. They save me roughly $600/year on my personal airplanes. The underwriter this year seems to be a Japanese company, and I really pay attention to the fine print. It is usually AIG.

The Stearman partners are back to Avemco. Their rates may be competitive now. They were always quick to answer all my questions. I have never had a claim.

Avemco sent me a quote that was ridiculous. Did get a free hat though. Nice hat. Falcon has my renewal out for bids but I will probably stick with Old Republic. I did send them an email about insuring over 70 but they haven't replied.

shaking hand.JPG I`ll be 86 in a few months and have just renewed with AVEMCO with no restrictions---3rd class med---they know I fly formation regularly and "play" with cubs----Capt Cub

Attachments

• shaking hand.JPG
    shaking hand.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 262
My Dad is 80 and his insurance went up quite a bit this year. When he pushed back they finally admitted it was because of his age. He switched back to Avemco for a better deal.

Just got a quote from Avemco that is twice what Old Republic offered for the same coverage! WTF!!

My agency is Falcon. They put me with Old Republic. My renewal is in March. Falcon will put it out for bids soon, but Old Republic sent me a renewal quote directly. I asked Avemco directly online. Avemco is on drugs!

Eddie, are you going direct or web for quotes or through an agent?

Back