• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

180 insurance

Rice farmer

FRIEND
Nor Cal
Recently sold our 195 that we were paying about 2000/year for full coverage based on 75000 hull. Asked our insurance guy for a quote on a 105000$ 180 and he says 3900/year! I have several hundred hrs in 180’s but was trying to include my 22 year old son with about 200 tail wheel hrs. The weird thing is they were willing to add him to the 195 policy with 10 hrs of dual with supposedly no increase in premium. They claim the market has drastically tightened up in the last 6 months. Looks like we will have to get a nose dragger.

Dana from aviation solutions in Kansas City, call him before you make any decisions. He is the best.

That’s just wrong, shop it. I use Falcon from their Addison TX office and beat that and have double the hull coverage.

It’s true the market has completely changed in the last few months due to a lot of large losses in the past 2 years. Unfortunately this the new norm for now. We insure about 10 aircraft from cubs to jets, we saw a few dropped by certain companies trying to get out of aviation. There are way less choices now and they want more $$$ especially for the planes the feel are highest risk. Non professionally flown aircraft, especially tail wheel and floats.

popularity of planes means more out there of that model = more accidents/data... lots of 180's, not so many 195's .... at least thats how it was explained to me....

Aircraft insurance comparisons between now and what you used to have are meaningless. So are comparisons to guys with long established policies. Lots of 180 owners use Bill White. Others like Ladd Gardner. For me they couldn't beat Avemco by enough to warrant me changing.

Doesn't make sense. A ground loop on a 195 is going to be a lot more expensive than a 180, and probably easier to get in to. Not minimizing the cost of fixing a 180, but there is a casting in the 195 that is made of unobtainium.

Avemco wants to compete with my Southwest broker. Last year the difference was $600 - and that "per person" stuff. That is just two small taildraggers, only one of which has hull coverage.

Back