• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float Plane Picker

MartyC

Kansas City, MO
We are thinking of building(welding) a float plane picker/trailer to move our C170 and C180 from hangar to water and back in Tower, MN. I was thinking of 12V hydraulic for lift and manual spread rails for under the spreader bars. We have a front receiver hitch on a truck for moving the planes around. Any sketches, drawings and/or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

We are thinking of building(welding) a float plane picker/trailer to move our C170 and C180 from hangar to water and back in Tower, MN. I was thinking of 12V hydraulic for lift and manual spread rails for under the spreader bars. We have a front receiver hitch on a truck for moving the planes around. Any sketches, drawings and/or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Doesn’t BVD have a fork lift with long forks for that at Tower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn, hopefully we will be in and out several times over the season. I looked at some pontoon trailers, a little pricey plus would need to modify a little. M1 sent me a set of plans and I think we can fabricate a picker for our needs at a reasonable cost. Plus it will be a fun build.

Rentable pontoon trailers are a dime a dozen.

I have never hauled the Cub on floats, but the floats themselves many times. 2x4 platform and ratchet straps. BB4DDC37-791B-4720-9A2E-3CF257CDC127.jpg

Attachments

• BB4DDC37-791B-4720-9A2E-3CF257CDC127.jpg
    BB4DDC37-791B-4720-9A2E-3CF257CDC127.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 260
dgapilot, not sure. We just moved there last Fall.

Been several years since I talked to him, but Bud VanDuesen used to have a shop at Tower airport and had a fork lift set up for picking up float planes. Not sure if he is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back