• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

0-320 hp upgrade

I converted a 1959 Cessna 150 to an O-320 with the Delair STC back about 10 years ago. Was helping the owner change the vacuum pump the other day and I believe the cowling is still off if you need pictures.

I converted a 1959 Cessna 150 to an O-320 with the Delair STC back about 10 years ago. Was helping the owner change the vacuum pump the other day and I believe the cowling is still off if you need pictures.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the offer but I am just thinking about where my situation may end up. If I need to; I will be looking for an STC'd mount. I hope it won't come to that.

I guess I don't understand what the issue is?
It might be easier for others to contribute helpful information if you'd give us a better picture of what you're trying to accomplish.
Sounds like......you have an experimental C120 which you pulled a Subaru engine off of, and installed a 160HP 320--
And now you need to document approval of converting that 320 from 150 to 160?

That's right Hotrod,
These inspectors know very little when it comes to home-built aircraft. They are attempting to apply certified rules and all that I can do is try to comply as best as I can.
Odd the “stop flying” came after the switch to a real engine from the Soob?? Transport has a lot of experience with standard aircraft engines, so the MDRA office’s appointed inspector should easily be able to say “this is the info we need.” Then you get that info to them. The MDRA’s inspectors are looking for safe properly built stuff. (There is something they don’t like about you’re engine change out). Ask them to tell you what it is specifically.

I guess I don't understand what the issue is?
It might be easier for others to contribute helpful information if you'd give us a better picture of what you're trying to accomplish.
Sounds like......you have an experimental C120 which you pulled a Subaru engine off of, and installed a 160HP 320--
And now you need to document approval of converting that 320 from 150 to 160?

That's pretty close. They are looking for acceptable data for the engine mod and installation but at the same time they won't accept anything but approved data in order to back it up. Yep, only in Canada.

Odd the “stop flying” came after the switch to a real engine from the Soob?? Transport has a lot of experience with standard aircraft engines, so the MDRA office’s appointed inspector should easily be able to say “this is the info we need.” Then you get that info to them. The MDRA’s inspectors are looking for safe properly built stuff. (There is something they don’t like about you’re engine change out). Ask them to tell you what it is specifically.
MD-RA loses control after the initial 25 hrs. is flown off. After that we are at the mercy of the regional TC airworthiness inspectors. The conversion is properly done and there's 60 hours on it. This is just a paperwork thing that has gotten out of hand.

The approved data for changing 150 hp to 160 hp is the type Certificate data sheet. Over 60 different models of the same engine with subtle changes. Use th3 parts book and bolt on the correct cylinders, pistons, rings, and piston pins.

all approved under the same TCDS # 274

MD-RA loses control after the initial 25 hrs. is flown off. After that we are at the mercy of the regional TC airworthiness inspectors. The conversion is properly done and there's 60 hours on it. This is just a paperwork thing that has gotten out of hand.
Fair enough. How did Transport find out about the engine switch though?

I was stupid enough to file the required Major Modification report. The engine type is noted on the C of A so I didn't have much choice. The moral of the story is stay with the same type of engine.

I was stupid enough to file the required Major Modification report. The engine type is noted on the C of A so I didn't have much choice. The moral of the story is stay with the same type of engine.
I hope you can succeed with them and be ready for the float season this spring! Hang in there!
All the best.

barrie, I've been following your travails, yet I'm still confused as to what type of basic airplane that you have. When you say C-120, do you mean Cessna 120 on which you have installed a Subaru and have now changed to a 0-320?

There's a guy here at my airport who switched from a ground-adjustable Sensenich prop to a Catto prop on his RV12.
Talking to him yesterday about it, I was surprised to hear that he had to go through another period of "phase one" flight testing.
Fool that I am, I woulda thought you could just hang the prop on there, sign it off (as the aircraft repairman) in the logbooks, and go flying.

There's a guy here at my airport who switched from a ground-adjustable Sensenich prop to a Catto prop on his RV12.
Talking to him yesterday about it, I was surprised to hear that he had to go through another period of "phase one" flight testing.
Fool that I am, I woulda thought you could just hang the prop on there, sign it off (as the aircraft repairman) in the logbooks, and go flying.

Yeah, but the additional phase 1 is very limited - like 5 hours or something like that. I think it’s meant to require flight testing on engine/prop combinations that may not have received formal testing (like in a TC or STC process).

barrie, I've been following your travails, yet I'm still confused as to what type of basic airplane that you have. When you say C-120, do you mean Cessna 120 on which you have installed a Subaru and have now changed to a 0-320?

It was a Cessna 120 with a whole lot of modifications. But, yes it is basically a 120 as far as the configuration is concerned. It initially had a Subie EJ22 160HP which worked very well; but due to hot start issues (especially on floats) we converted to the 0-320.

If it is certified, you need an STC for the engine because you need authority to change the data plate. You can get that from LyCon. ….

Not sure which model engine you have,
but Art Mattson had an STC to convert the E2A from 150hp to 160.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/824317613f8458ad86257ed2004ebf70/$FILE/SE367CH.pdf

as well as an STC for the installation of that modified engine onto a Cherokee.
Looks like someone acquired Art's STC's after his death.
https://www.aviationpros.com/press_...ynamix-acquires-art-mattsons-line-of-faa-stcs

Back