Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Airplane

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scout88305 View Post
    My favorite too Eric. That plane was the first one I owned a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks scout88305 thanked for this post

Virginia"s Northern Neck, on Chesapeake Bay
    Post Thanks / Like
    Favorite all time was a slick in a far off place. C-45, Herc on the North Slope in dead of winter, Galaxy everywhere, Diesel Eight Douglasarous in Cent/SA and USA at nite. Lots of back side of the clock. Loved them all. How lucky we were. Started in a Cub when the IFR chart was mostly magenta and ending up in a Cub. Sorry it all has to end so soon. Wish I could do it again, especially the first part.
    Thanks FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes mam90, n40ff, super stol, BC12D-4-85, algonquin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In 56 years of flying, beginning with a ‘46 J-3, which I flew when I thought myself immortal, it remains closest to me since it was my first love (airplanes, that is). Several other planes later and much more advanced in a career I met my second love, a 1976 V35 Bonanza. Flew it for 17 years and a sweeter airplane has never been made. I thought of it as my time machine. I could leave my home in Texas after markets closed and shortly after be in the middle of Colorado fly rod in hand and three hours till sundown! With retirement I no longer needed the speed and after a brief hiatus as a groundling I found the rainbow—my 1979 PA-18. Still flying it after 21 years and it has never let me down. And at 77 years young it and I move along about the same speed. So my vote is for the two all time great airplanes, the perfect design of Walter Beech and the simple genius of William Piper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	downloadfile-1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	40954

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes Brandsman, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F419F0F3-1456-4CE5-B78E-D56B925E5F43.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	40959

And, for Pete, I got a ride with these guys from FAI to OTZ:

Name:	BC44FF3C-4EAA-4382-82E5-53DE05A893F5.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	465.0 KB 
ID:	40960

Amazing workhorses both.

MTV
    Likes skywagon8a, Wag2+2, algonquin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    After careful consideration, which took two or three minutes, I've think I'll pack up a few clothes and move down to Amarillo. Sure sounds like Joe Wood has learned a thing or two about life from his great pair of airplanes, and maybe some of it would rub off on me.
    Likes Wag2+2, KevinJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    In 56 years of flying, beginning with a ‘46 J-3, which I flew when I thought myself immortal, it remains closest to me since it was my first love (airplanes, that is). Several other planes later and much more advanced in a career I met my second love, a 1976 V35 Bonanza. Flew it for 17 years and a sweeter airplane has never been made. I thought of it as my time machine. I could leave my home in Texas after markets closed and shortly after be in the middle of Colorado fly rod in hand and three hours till sundown! With retirement I no longer needed the speed and after a brief hiatus as a groundling I found the rainbow—my 1979 PA-18. Still flying it after 21 years and it has never let me down. And at 77 years young it and I move along about the same speed. So my vote is for the two all time great airplanes, the perfect design of Walter Beech and the simple genius of William Piper.
    And Joe can take it into the Palo Duro Canyonwith those Big Tired boys.

Name:	16446.jpeg 
Views:	1634 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	40961
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes KevinJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A few of my favorites are 90 hp Champ, 90 hp Cub and any Pitts. The less installed equipment the better.
    I miss my '55 C180 the most.
    The Aero Commander Shrike and 500B are my piston twin favorites. They kept me alive through many poor decisions.
    On large trash cans, I flew most Boeings, Lockeed L1011, and the DC8. I retired from the 747-4.
    Of all those I enjoyed the DC8 the most. It would fly with a lot of stuff broke. I made a lot of bank with the DC8 preceding and during Desert Shield/Storm.
    Likes FdxLou, flynlow, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    where to start? This is one of those really hard to give a firm answer questions. I spent 20years in a few different types of beechcraft earning a living and love the way they fly, their speed and gravel/ bush opps capability,stable IFR plane that can handle a good jag of ice. For the pure fun of flying it's hard to best cubs,champs, pitts ect. But my new ride i just finished has the control balance and stability of the beech, T/O in 125-150' on bush gear and goes 135mph in cruise, with the regular gear i should see 150kts. It is quickly becoming my favourite plane!It's a glasair sportsman!
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Super Cub, PA11, Husky,C185,C180, 727, 747-8, 747-400, 747 Classic, 737, C82, DC6/7,SF340 with my son as copilot. Flying with my son was the best like Lou said.
    Ernie.
    Ernie
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    And Joe can take it into the Palo Duro Canyonwith those Big Tired boys.

Name:	16446.jpeg 
Views:	1634 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	40961
    Shoot, if he had Bushwheels he could blame Eaton for everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Shoot, if he had Bushwheels he could blame Eaton for everything!

He must be a good guy with that 57 paint scheme.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have heard Steve Pierce groan as he tried to lay out the '57 paint scheme. Getting the horizontal stripes on the tail just right sent him to the bar more than once. Actually, Steve did the complete restoration on the Cub. Started out as a simple recover but over the 2 1/2 years I'd drop by now and then. Pretty soon I'd find myself saying, "you know, as long as we're doing this we might as well add.....". After saying something like this a dozen times or more we ended up with a stunner. Beautiful job and flys like a dream. So, Steve, as long as I'm going to bring it to you for an annual in April......been thinking......we might as well go ahead and add...…so it goes.....
    Thanks Brandsman, mike mcs repair thanked for this post
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Steve Pierce, KevinJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    been thinking......we might as well go ahead and add...…
    Bushwheels and a Borer prop!?
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool how so many people love so many different planes.. I guess that's the common thread.
    Likes Brandsman, super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite transport category was the 767-300.
    What a beautiful aeroplane. Gear down, flap 5 full speed brake and it would drop and you could get it in from anywhere.

One A/C I'd like to revisit one day as I only did 50 hours before moving to a better job (not aeroplane): MU2

Fondest memories: The C180J which my Dad taught me to fly as a teenager. (and I now have my own)

One aircraft I've never flown but think I'll buy one day: DHC-1 Chipmunk.

Least favourite: The POS I now fly. A330.
    Thanks DJG thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The one I happen to be flying now (A Peterson modified 182). But I seem to remember my cardinal was my favorite when I was flying her.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, factory plane would be a Swift with a few dozen + STCs.
    Overall favorite, I have not designed or built it yet, lets see how close I get with what I am doing now.
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I flew today after a break, a quite rare machine which deserves a little punt on this thread. A Focke Wulf Piaggio P-149D. Low wing retractable with 4 seats, quite long legs (around 5 hours), 140 knot cruise @ 7500, stressed for aerobatics (+6 and - 3), constant speed prop, Lycoming GO-480 engine of 295 hp, control stick and sliding canopy - looks a lot like a Navion but is a lot bigger with 4000lbs all up weight - VERY nice to fly...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5335.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	43130
    'There can be no liberty unless there is economic liberty".
    Margaret Thatcher
    Likes super stol, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of airplanes the last 55 years. Liked them all. Harmon Rocket is a rocket. Never flew a Van's RV I didn't like. Cessna 340 nice. My cub clone at 825 # and 150 hp handles better than any cub. Oh ya, earley cessna 180 was great. Realy like My straight tail 182, a tri-gear version of early 180. Got to fly some round engine spray planes that were kinda fun first load in morning

Don't know how to start a turbine.
    Likes Gordon Misch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Way back when young/low time in a military club I flew stuff the insurance company would have said no if I had 5X the time. O1D, T41B and Bonanza. The first of my own was a C120 and I've never had such pride.....Marcia and I flew all over with a VHT3. Maybe I'm easily pleased? My 2nd was a Pitts S1C and it takes the cake for sure. Now I'm old and happy with my Spezio but would be happy with almost anything. I remember when turned loose as a student in a C150, I thought that if only I could ever own such a machine..... Now I've gone full circle and would be quite happy with one(if I could fly it LSA)

That said, a PA18 or C180 would be a winner....I think? Never flew either.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by n40ff View Post
    That said, a PA18 or C180 would be a winner....I think? Never flew either.

Jack
    Find an excuse to come west Jack. TX panhandle. I’ll top off my -18 and have it ready for you. You can take it across town to fly a 180. Bring us some moonshine and we’ll call it even
    Likes Willie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Find an excuse to come west Jack
    But for crissakes, don't "go west"!!!!!!!
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Thanks n40ff thanked for this post
    Likes DJG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    PA-18A 150 wheels skis floats. The rest meh.

Gary
    Thanks mandrews thanked for this post
    Likes Chicken Hawk, cubnut liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There are too many favorites. This is one of many, a Cessna T-50 on floats. Big, comfortable, roomy, easy to fly, slightly faster and will out climb a 185 with double the fuel burn. Mine was modified so would comfortably sleep two in the extended baggage area. Boy did those engines make beautiful music! Nothing like a radial's noise. It didn't do very well with one shut down, but neither does a Cub.
    N1PA
    Likes super stol, Hardtailjohn, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My very first airplane ride was a C180 float plane at the Lake of the Ozarks dam when I was 8 or 9 in 1954/55 so it has always had a place in my heart. Only time I was in one. A plane I always admired was a O360 powered C170. I flew a friends O360 powered C172 w/CS which was nice and of coarse the 210 hp C172/T41B was great. Back in the mid 70's at APG Flying Club the T41B was $11/hour as was the O1D. C35 Bonanza was flown for $12/hour. Much better than owning anything although getting an airplane was problematic sometimes. We had six C150's, three C172's, 2 T41B's, an O1D, the Bonanza and a 560E Aero Commander($21/hour) and PAAF was probably the 2nd busiest airport in MD after BWI. Students were lined-up waiting for a 150 on a nice week end as opposed to how days when many GA airports are more like ghost towns. After I started owning and moved to Aldino, week ends were usually an all day cook out....someone would say, "lets go visit Jack Poage at EMI" and a gaggle of biplanes would take off and head west......The good old days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by n40ff View Post
    A plane I always admired was a O360 powered C170.
    You mean like this:

Name:	5AD19AF1-822F-490A-B925-684C4D489FE0.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	43137

Name:	67FEF5EC-843F-4715-A848-2DC44044E844.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	43138

MTV
    Likes Chicken Hawk, FdxLou, CamTom12, n40ff liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have heard Steve Pierce groan as he tried to lay out the '57 paint scheme. Getting the horizontal stripes on the tail just right sent him to the bar more than once. Actually, Steve did the complete restoration on the Cub. Started out as a simple recover but over the 2 1/2 years I'd drop by now and then. Pretty soon I'd find myself saying, "you know, as long as we're doing this we might as well add.....". After saying something like this a dozen times or more we ended up with a stunner. Beautiful job and flys like a dream. So, Steve, as long as I'm going to bring it to you for an annual in April......been thinking......we might as well go ahead and add...…so it goes.....
    Late to the party but I've got 3 favorites:

- Cessna 152: Got signed off in that one many decades ago
    - PA-12..the proverbial "what I'm flying now"
    - C-180; obviously a great plane on its own merits, but on my list because that's what my dad used to take me flying in as a kid. Useless as it is, sure would wish to duplicate those times.

And the reason for quoting Mr. Wood's post? Glad to see someone else started with a recover and 2.5 years later ended up with a beautiful -12. I'll have to show this post to my wife!
    Thanks mike mcs repair thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Earlier on this thread I posted that I could not pick a favorite plane because I had not flown all of the planes yet... but the truth is, it's whatever plane I am in at the moment. Some of you know that I have a primary student (as in, never flown before) who is 73. He has always dreamed of flying, had a very successful career, and now has time for it. Today, and the days I am flying with him, my favorite plane is a C-172. The plane many of us learned in, the plane that opened the doors to so much more. Barry knows it is going to take longer than if he started when he was 17, but I'm all in as long as he is. He is closer to solo than he thinks

The privilege to help give the gift of flight to others is more important to me than just about anything else in aviation. It's a real kick, whether it is the 73 year old today, or the 23 year old I have taking his commercial checkride tomorrow.

Name:	barry.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	43142
    Barry on base "north of the buildings" as we call it....
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks FdxLou, Taledrger, 46 Cub, WWhunter thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Earlier on this thread I posted that I could not pick a favorite plane because I had not flown all of the planes yet... but the truth is, it's whatever plane I am in at the moment. Some of you know that I have a primary student (as in, never flown before) who is 73. He has always dreamed of flying, had a very successful career, and now has time for it. Today, and the days I am flying with him, my favorite plane is a C-172. The plane many of us learned in, the plane that opened the doors to so much more. Barry knows it is going to take longer than if he started when he was 17, but I'm all in as long as he is. He is closer to solo than he thinks

The privilege to help give the gift of flight to others is more important to me than just about anything else in aviation. It's a real kick, whether it is the 73 year old today, or the 23 year old I have taking his commercial checkride tomorrow.

Name:	barry.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	43142
    Barry on base "north of the buildings" as we call it....
    cant beat that one, Steve. The 172/150 series have truly been the “Pilot Makers” for decades. And what phenomenal airplanes! Good for you for working with this gent!

MTV
    Likes FdxLou, skywagon8a, Brandsman, WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday's favorite airplane... just completed this young man's Commercial certificate. Some of you met Andrew and his dad many years ago at New Holstein. Our favorite DPE on the right will celebrate his 80th birthday this next year. You would be hard pressed to find a DPE that teaches you something every time you fly with them and is up to date on the very latest technology than Ron.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	758 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	43176
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool SJ. I haven't seen Ron since 1983. I used to sit and drink coffee with him at KC Piper. He had plenty of wisdom then. Glad he is still sharing it. Old guys rule.
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been lucky to fly a bunch of different stuff, but there are a couple that slipped away: the TravelAir 6000 and the Beech Staggerwing. I had buddies owning those birds but never got a ride!
    I've owned a PA-18A since 1981 and she's part of the family, but I believe the stock cub needs to be "de-piperized". The Twin Otter is probably my all-time favorite, but I loved the OV-10 and the Lear 45BR. Like someone already said, you really need 2 or 3 in your stable!
    Likes Steve Pierce, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    F8K, PA18 on skis, RF8G, A4M, B737-700, CH53D, C117, CE525, F4N, F4J all in that order. AF9J and C45 are also way up on the list.
    Thanks PA-22/20-160 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That has to have been a fun career to this point, what is next?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just the Cub. After retiring from 3.5 jobs, (TWA was the half), my one and only wife wants to see more of me, as does the dog. Doing a lot of work with the local Catholic parish.
    "The sword of freedom is kept sharp by those who live on it's edge." - Scott Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Joe Woods is right! 2 Super Cubs + a Bonanza

Favorite airplanes: The two S C's I owned with another fellow, plus a 49 A 35 Bonanza with 225 HP and Cleveland brakes. That thing was almost as good as a C 180 for short field work. (I have been saying that for 40 years and still no on believes me!) I got in that Bonanza and flew it home with no dual or anything. Lucky I didn't bust my butt with crazy fuel system, but very light on controls and very fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have owned and flown three planes; the ag wagon was a blast to fly and made me good money, the Beaver on floats was fun but lots of load/unload and now a C170 with 180 hp. The duster was the most enjoyable- I felt like a strafing fighter pilot. Twin Otter is my favorite. Never flew one but my first trip the pilot BACKED UP and drove down a twisty steep trail to the arctic ice and took off. Fabulous performer in the north at minus 5000 ft density alt. Rode in DC4 , electras and sikorsky t 54, great memories.
    Likes Pete Schoeninger, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The little Grumman AA-1C was a hoot to fly. Super-responsive – you think "bank left" and it banked. Sweetest-flying airplane I ever flew.

The most fun-to-fly helicopter I've ever flown was the TH-55 we used in Army flight school. Looked like an orange lollypop turned sideways, with a rotor on top, but it was amazingly maneuverable and responsive. If I were a rich man, I'd own one of those today. Or better yet, the civilian Hughes/Schweitzer 300C, that was a good bit faster (86 kts vs 65 kts cruise) and almost 1000 lbs of useful load.
    Jim Parker
    '65 Champion 7ECA - Flying
    ?? Bearhawk Patrol - Building

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s always difficult for me to separate the handling characteristics implication of this question from the emotional impact of airplanes that we’ve loved just because of the adventures we had and the things we learned. The nice thing about the title here is that it allows a wide swath of responses.

My favorite airplane of all time is the Boeing 757. Just an amazing airliner that is awesome to fly and fun to travel in. I’m fortunate enough to be returning to it right now. I’m halfway through the sims. What was it Len Morgan said about it being like kissing your sister?

My other favorite airplane is the J-3. It flies like...a Cub.

I taught people to fly in them and taught pilots who already knew how to fly, how to actually takeoff and land. I’m fortunate enough to own the airplane I used to instruct in. Although it’s for sale. I’ve got this crazy plan to buy half of my buddy’s Stearman. It flies like a Cub too.

Maybe the Cub is my favorite.
    Likes Pete Schoeninger, Brandsman liked this post