Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Airplane

Post Thanks / Like
    "Whispering Death"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D2C1BBA8-B8FA-434F-B21E-F99827539866.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	40876
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"
    Likes Brandsman, n40ff, super stol, SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The last one I flew!
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    From a control harmony stand point and just nice flying characteristics my list is Hawker Fury, light frame Ag Cat, Chipmunk, Great Lakes, CAP10C, J3, PA11, PA18, PA15, PA16, PA17 and the Carbon Cub FX3. There are other airplanes I like for their utility but these are my favorites to just fly. My list of airplanes is short but look forward to adding more to this list.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 01-13-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Arctic Tern of course. Otherwise a 206 on amphibs because fuel drums are too hard to load in a 185.
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Arctic tern

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure wish I still had my Howard DGA-15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes FdxLou, scout88305 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxLou View Post
    MD-11, PA-18, early C-180, BE-18, B727, B747, DC-8, DC-10, LR-JET in that order.
    Lou
    A guy I know gave a talk to our pilot assn yesterday about the airplanes he's flown.
    I thought it would be all about the warbirds & aerobatic stuff he's flown,
    but most of it was about his airline career.
    He started back in the early 1960's, at the end of the piston-powered airliner era--
    he really liked big radials so got himself into Convairs & DC-6's instead of a jet.
    30 or so years later, he ended up flying (I think) the MD-11.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    "Whispering Death"

you must have closed your eyes before you put your hand out !!!!!
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite transport category was the 767-300. Handled like a fighter flaps out (both inboard and outboard ailerons working). Easy to land. Always very honest in handling manners

My favorite turboprop was the King Air F-90. Total hot rod with good honest handling

My favorite light twin was Aerostar 601P

My favorite single was a Comanche 400. Somehow you always felt like you were flying a bare engine with wings.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was one of my favorites. I was lucky to be able to fly it for a year, most of which was as a flight engineer. Did manage to get some stick time. I thought it flew just like a big Piper Aztec. Love those big radials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
    My favorite single was a Comanche 400. Somehow you always felt like you were flying a bare engine with wings.
    Loved that airplane too, a poor man's P-51. It was so thirsty that you could watch the gas needles moving down.
    N1PA
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Careful what you say about the Hawg!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223E81CC-4B24-4CC8-BDDA-112D06E9C0DF.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	430.3 KB 
ID:	40880

Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    you must have closed your eyes before you put your hand out !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    Careful what you say about the Hawg!

Name:	223E81CC-4B24-4CC8-BDDA-112D06E9C0DF.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	430.3 KB 
ID:	40880
    That would sure do a number on a coyote.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Likes Wag2+2, RaisedByWolves, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You might find a few hairs and an eyeball.

Name:	21BA6A49-BD5B-450F-AE1D-75E7D5FFC414.jpeg 
Views:	119 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	40881

Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    That would sure do a number on a coyote.

Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    This was one of my favorites. I was lucky to be able to fly it for a year, most of which was as a flight engineer. Did manage to get some stick time. I thought it flew just like a big Piper Aztec. Love those big radials.

Pete
    As a 14 year old kid I went with my dad on a RTW trip in a DC-6. Will never forget trying to sleep in the bunk behind the radio rack with a sunburn between Honolulu and Wake Island! Later got some stick time in one while on furlough flying auto parts out of Willow Run.
    Ah, the memories! At my age they are beginning to mean more and more.
    Great thread!
    Lou
    Likes JP, super stol, Wag2+2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In the early 80’s I had a charter in a Navajo late one night from Kenai to Bethel to fly parts and a mechanic to a broken down DC-4. On the way out, we blew a cylinder off the right engine. Continued on (no place else to go that was closer) and when they got the 4 fixed, they offered me a ride home and let me sit right seat and fly.. what a great flying airplane. What I remember most was the engineer sitting at his station working an oscilloscope. Also if I remember, there was a janitrol heater that they fire up for wing anti-icing..
    Mark
    Likes 8GCBC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    Lou, that is awesome flying with your son!

Kurt
    Kurt
    Thanks. It stands as my proudest and most memorable time in Aviation.
    BTW, years ago I had the privilege of a guided tour by your father of his hangar at Eastsound on Orcas. He proudly showed me your grandfathers pilots license signed by Orville Wright. A real privilege.
    Lou
    Likes mam90, Brandsman, G44 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lou,
    Years later when I was in my 185 flying from Barrow to Kotzebue I heard one calling in with the N number of one of our old -6s. I had a chance to visit with the pilot who told me that the auto parts business had slowed so he was in Kotzebue with it hauling fish from the beaches to Anchorage. The -6 had had all of the pressurization equipment and interior removed and a structural bulkhead installed just behind the forward baggage door. He had a tide chart on his approach plate holder. When I asked him how he got the courage to land on the beaches he told me that he rode in the jump seat of a C-119 to check it out. The paint had been stripped to the bare aluminum but you could still see the Northeast pilgrim etched in the metal. Those were the good old days.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite is the PA18. A Super Cub just can’t be beat for just taking an airplane ride to nowhere, which I do about a fifty times a year. A close second is my V-77. You can’t make a quick fuel stop with the Gullwing. It always draws a few people out to talk.

Post Thanks / Like
    PA-18A with 50's original paint scheme. L-19 and 450 Stearman. The L-19 is useful because it can sit outside without a hangar. It also flies great. Not fast, doesn't have long range fuel. In my view a Stearman is possibly the best flying airplane ever built. After owning and operating 11 through the years: A.) Now too expensive to run a lot B.) Too cold in winter. C.) really needs a hangar, and its hard to push in and out. Still a classic Super Cub will turn my eye anytime, or the rattly sound of a 135/150 flying by. For short money, you cannot beat a Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like
    My choices - the Avidyne Cirrus SR-22 and the Super Cub. The SR-22 for speed, quality of build, comfort, range and safety. I think that it's what light single performance is all about. The PA-18, simply because I feel like it's what the experience of flying should be all about. That's just personal, of course.

I said on the Cirrus website that if a comparison of the two planes is based on numbers, the Cirrus wins everything except takeoff and landing distances, but for me, if the comparison is based on feelings and fun, the PA-18 wins everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with whiskymike. I only have 116 solo hrs in a Stearman but once you let the old girl teach you what make her happy she will make you feel like the best pilot in the world and make you look good every landing if you give her her do respect.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    I agree with whiskymike. I only have 116 solo hrs in a Stearman but once you let the old girl teach you what make her happy she will make you feel like the best pilot in the world and make you look good every landing if you give her her do respect.

Glenn
    My best landing ever was in a stearman, twice, and my worst was in one too. At least it felt like my worst.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pa-18 for flying with the door open and a shotgun sticking out. AirTractor AT-400 with servos on everything for a quick hot rod of a sprayplane, RV-7 for cheap cross country and amazing performance,Cessna U206 for hauling big things out of short places.185 for heavy short but they suck to load,620B Weatherly will haul a amazing load with 450hp but you earn it keeping the Pratt running. 90 hp Supercub with flaps and a hot rod engine built light is a hoot. A36 Bonanza is a nice 4 place cross country airplane and a Cheyenne 1 is nice honest 700+ mile cross country machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    My best landing ever was in a stearman, twice, and my worst was in one too. At least it felt like my worst.
    Will the spearman be at the WAD this year? Looking like my bride will be coming with me to the WAD, so have some extra freedom and fun on the trip.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    60 degree flaps got my attention on the L19. It was supposed to be limited to 45 by STC but we never did it. I asked my CFI about it during a club checkout so he let me try. Really was an eye opener for a 200 hour PP but probably SOP for an Army Aviator.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the C130? I've never been in one but had a friend who was CO of the 135th MD NG when they flew them. He had flown early jet fighters etc. and at the time was also flying Lear 35's for USF&G......He said the C130 was a trip. He also liked the DHC-4/C-7A's the 135th flew prior to the 130's.
    Last edited by n40ff; 01-13-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tcraft (with an 85 on the short mount), Bellanca 14-13, Fairchild 71, and Twin Beech.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting comments about the Stearman. I put 94 hours in the Stearman last year. Great fun, but my opinion is that it flies exactly like a J-3. Just makes more noise. And impresses the girls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailjohn View Post
    Tcraft (with an 85 on the short mount), Bellanca 14-13, Fairchild 71, and Twin Beech.
    John
    Always thought the 71 was a neat plane. Be fun to fly one.

Don't really have a favorite but the worst has to be the stearman cropduster with the high lift wing late in the fall. Just as well sit on the frozen ground with a piece of rebar driven in the ground between your legs and a fan blowing on you.

Likes super stol, Bill Rusk, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Only owned and flown 3 planes in my 30 years of airplane ownership. First was a '58 182 with Robertson and 8.50 mains. Great load capacity, decent speed for cross country and a pretty good backcountry airplane. Flew lots of time in central BC. When my partner dinged the prop in a soft field situation in '89 we stepped up to a '67 A185E. In '99 we bought a stock '46 PA12 and started a project. Went with a 1 time (our own) STC for 180 HP and all the bells and whistles we could add, all certified, mostly with field approvals that were still doable in '99. My favorite?? Depended on the mission. Living in Washington and having interest in a remote Alaskan hunting camp the 185 was hands down the winner. 12 hrs SW WA to Anch. at gross weight. The Cub, 22 hrs which I did twice. (Yawn) The 12 was a hoot with 31" ABWs in the Talkeetnas. The 185 would go 90% of the places the 12 would. Due to medical conditions, I'm no longer flying but my favorite was deffinitely the 185.

Post Thanks / Like
    This

Name:  20190113_212328.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  439.6 KB
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!
    Thanks Brandsman thanked for this post

Exeter N.H.---Spruce Creek Fly-in(7FL6) Daytona Beach FLorida
    Post Thanks / Like
    my favorite was the Convair 440 Metropolitan--PW-R-2800-CB17 engines---had never been used as an airliner---a mellow exhaust sound ---augmenter tubes that terminated at the trailing edge of the wing---I hated the DC-3 (nostalgia only)---the Lockheed 1329 JetStar was great but a gas guzzler---garrett engines solved that---it was a pleasure to fly the B-767-300--now I have 2 favorite airplanes--Vans RV-8 with smoke system and a piper J-3 90 HP---both FUN machines---Capt Cub

"You cannot teach experience, you must acquire it."
    Captain Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxLou View Post
    Kurt
    Thanks. It stands as my proudest and most memorable time in Aviation.
    BTW, years ago I had the privilege of a guided tour by your father of his hangar at Eastsound on Orcas. He proudly showed me your grandfathers pilots license signed by Orville Wright. A real privilege.
    Lou
    Lou, I wish I would have been there then, would have been fun chatting! I remember Galesburg, wish we would have had more time to visit.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Beech 18 is up there for me. I liked how quiet the DC10 and MD11 were but would take the 10 over the 11.

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the one that I had the most fun in. If I could afford a Widgeon, I'd probably have one.

Post Thanks / Like
    dHC-2, MK I Beaver.

MTV
    Likes Mike Woodson, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Helio Courier. Probably because I never actually owned one but lost a $4,000 deposit on one when I was in my twenties and the bank chickened out. Would have been too much airplane for me back then anyway!

I'm happy with my homebuilt PA-12, floats and skis.

I have a little stick time on the Beaver and 180, and have flown (as a passenger) on the DC-3, DC-4, DC-6, DC-8, DC-9, L-188, C-46, Bristol Freighter, DHC-2, DHC-3, DHC-6, DHC-7, DHC-8, Vickers Viscount, Vickers Vanguard, Cessna 180 and 185, Helio Courier, Beech 18, 707, 727, 737, 747, 767, and Norseman. That list spans about 60-years. Not as impressive as being a pilot on any of those types, but I surprised myself when I started listing the ones I've just been a passenger on. (edit Forgot the ATR-42 and 72, Hawker-Siddley 748, Convair 580, AS-350 and Bell 206, Cessna 208.
    Last edited by NunavutPA-12; 01-15-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Courier is a capable airplane, but not fun to fly. Very heavy on the controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    I either saw one of your best landings in a Stearman down in MA or damn Tom, you’re good.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone