• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Favorite Airplane

You should have heard Steve Pierce groan as he tried to lay out the '57 paint scheme. Getting the horizontal stripes on the tail just right sent him to the bar more than once. Actually, Steve did the complete restoration on the Cub. Started out as a simple recover but over the 2 1/2 years I'd drop by now and then. Pretty soon I'd find myself saying, "you know, as long as we're doing this we might as well add.....". After saying something like this a dozen times or more we ended up with a stunner. Beautiful job and flys like a dream. So, Steve, as long as I'm going to bring it to you for an annual in April......been thinking......we might as well go ahead and add...…so it goes.....

My favorite transport category was the 767-300.
What a beautiful aeroplane. Gear down, flap 5 full speed brake and it would drop and you could get it in from anywhere.

One A/C I'd like to revisit one day as I only did 50 hours before moving to a better job (not aeroplane): MU2

Fondest memories: The C180J which my Dad taught me to fly as a teenager. (and I now have my own)

One aircraft I've never flown but think I'll buy one day: DHC-1 Chipmunk.

Least favourite: The POS I now fly. A330.

The one I happen to be flying now (A Peterson modified 182). But I seem to remember my cardinal was my favorite when I was flying her.

For me, factory plane would be a Swift with a few dozen + STCs.
Overall favorite, I have not designed or built it yet, lets see how close I get with what I am doing now.

I flew today after a break, a quite rare machine which deserves a little punt on this thread. A Focke Wulf Piaggio P-149D. Low wing retractable with 4 seats, quite long legs (around 5 hours), 140 knot cruise @ 7500, stressed for aerobatics (+6 and - 3), constant speed prop, Lycoming GO-480 engine of 295 hp, control stick and sliding canopy - looks a lot like a Navion but is a lot bigger with 4000lbs all up weight - VERY nice to fly... IMG_5335.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5335.jpg
    IMG_5335.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 384
Lots of airplanes the last 55 years. Liked them all. Harmon Rocket is a rocket. Never flew a Van's RV I didn't like. Cessna 340 nice. My cub clone at 825 # and 150 hp handles better than any cub. Oh ya, earley cessna 180 was great. Realy like My straight tail 182, a tri-gear version of early 180. Got to fly some round engine spray planes that were kinda fun first load in morning

Don't know how to start a turbine.

Way back when young/low time in a military club I flew stuff the insurance company would have said no if I had 5X the time. O1D, T41B and Bonanza. The first of my own was a C120 and I've never had such pride.....Marcia and I flew all over with a VHT3. Maybe I'm easily pleased? My 2nd was a Pitts S1C and it takes the cake for sure. Now I'm old and happy with my Spezio but would be happy with almost anything. I remember when turned loose as a student in a C150, I thought that if only I could ever own such a machine..... Now I've gone full circle and would be quite happy with one(if I could fly it LSA) :-(

That said, a PA18 or C180 would be a winner....I think? Never flew either.

Jack

That said, a PA18 or C180 would be a winner....I think? Never flew either.

Jack

Find an excuse to come west Jack. TX panhandle. I’ll top off my -18 and have it ready for you. You can take it across town to fly a 180. Bring us some moonshine and we’ll call it even

There are too many favorites. This is one of many, a Cessna T-50 on floats. Big, comfortable, roomy, easy to fly, slightly faster and will out climb a 185 with double the fuel burn. Mine was modified so would comfortably sleep two in the extended baggage area. Boy did those engines make beautiful music! Nothing like a radial's noise. It didn't do very well with one shut down, but neither does a Cub.

My very first airplane ride was a C180 float plane at the Lake of the Ozarks dam when I was 8 or 9 in 1954/55 so it has always had a place in my heart. Only time I was in one. A plane I always admired was a O360 powered C170. I flew a friends O360 powered C172 w/CS which was nice and of coarse the 210 hp C172/T41B was great. Back in the mid 70's at APG Flying Club the T41B was $11/hour as was the O1D. C35 Bonanza was flown for $12/hour. Much better than owning anything although getting an airplane was problematic sometimes. We had six C150's, three C172's, 2 T41B's, an O1D, the Bonanza and a 560E Aero Commander($21/hour) and PAAF was probably the 2nd busiest airport in MD after BWI. Students were lined-up waiting for a 150 on a nice week end as opposed to how days when many GA airports are more like ghost towns. After I started owning and moved to Aldino, week ends were usually an all day cook out....someone would say, "lets go visit Jack Poage at EMI" and a gaggle of biplanes would take off and head west......The good old days.

Attachments

• 5AD19AF1-822F-490A-B925-684C4D489FE0.jpeg
    5AD19AF1-822F-490A-B925-684C4D489FE0.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 664
  • 67FEF5EC-843F-4715-A848-2DC44044E844.jpeg
    67FEF5EC-843F-4715-A848-2DC44044E844.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 492
You should have heard Steve Pierce groan as he tried to lay out the '57 paint scheme. Getting the horizontal stripes on the tail just right sent him to the bar more than once. Actually, Steve did the complete restoration on the Cub. Started out as a simple recover but over the 2 1/2 years I'd drop by now and then. Pretty soon I'd find myself saying, "you know, as long as we're doing this we might as well add.....". After saying something like this a dozen times or more we ended up with a stunner. Beautiful job and flys like a dream. So, Steve, as long as I'm going to bring it to you for an annual in April......been thinking......we might as well go ahead and add...…so it goes.....

Late to the party but I've got 3 favorites:

- Cessna 152: Got signed off in that one many decades ago
- PA-12..the proverbial "what I'm flying now"
- C-180; obviously a great plane on its own merits, but on my list because that's what my dad used to take me flying in as a kid. Useless as it is, sure would wish to duplicate those times.

And the reason for quoting Mr. Wood's post? Glad to see someone else started with a recover and 2.5 years later ended up with a beautiful -12. I'll have to show this post to my wife!

Earlier on this thread I posted that I could not pick a favorite plane because I had not flown all of the planes yet... but the truth is, it's whatever plane I am in at the moment. Some of you know that I have a primary student (as in, never flown before) who is 73. He has always dreamed of flying, had a very successful career, and now has time for it. Today, and the days I am flying with him, my favorite plane is a C-172. The plane many of us learned in, the plane that opened the doors to so much more. Barry knows it is going to take longer than if he started when he was 17, but I'm all in as long as he is. He is closer to solo than he thinks :)

The privilege to help give the gift of flight to others is more important to me than just about anything else in aviation. It's a real kick, whether it is the 73 year old today, or the 23 year old I have taking his commercial checkride tomorrow.

barry.JPG
Barry on base "north of the buildings" as we call it....

Attachments

• barry.JPG
    barry.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 672
Earlier on this thread I posted that I could not pick a favorite plane because I had not flown all of the planes yet... but the truth is, it's whatever plane I am in at the moment. Some of you know that I have a primary student (as in, never flown before) who is 73. He has always dreamed of flying, had a very successful career, and now has time for it. Today, and the days I am flying with him, my favorite plane is a C-172. The plane many of us learned in, the plane that opened the doors to so much more. Barry knows it is going to take longer than if he started when he was 17, but I'm all in as long as he is. He is closer to solo than he thinks :)

The privilege to help give the gift of flight to others is more important to me than just about anything else in aviation. It's a real kick, whether it is the 73 year old today, or the 23 year old I have taking his commercial checkride tomorrow.

View attachment 43142
Barry on base "north of the buildings" as we call it....

cant beat that one, Steve. The 172/150 series have truly been the “Pilot Makers” for decades. And what phenomenal airplanes! Good for you for working with this gent!

MTV

Yesterday's favorite airplane... just completed this young man's Commercial certificate. Some of you met Andrew and his dad many years ago at New Holstein. Our favorite DPE on the right will celebrate his 80th birthday this next year. You would be hard pressed to find a DPE that teaches you something every time you fly with them and is up to date on the very latest technology than Ron.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,541
Cool SJ. I haven't seen Ron since 1983. I used to sit and drink coffee with him at KC Piper. He had plenty of wisdom then. Glad he is still sharing it. Old guys rule.

I've been lucky to fly a bunch of different stuff, but there are a couple that slipped away: the TravelAir 6000 and the Beech Staggerwing. I had buddies owning those birds but never got a ride!
I've owned a PA-18A since 1981 and she's part of the family, but I believe the stock cub needs to be "de-piperized". The Twin Otter is probably my all-time favorite, but I loved the OV-10 and the Lear 45BR. Like someone already said, you really need 2 or 3 in your stable!

F8K, PA18 on skis, RF8G, A4M, B737-700, CH53D, C117, CE525, F4N, F4J all in that order. AF9J and C45 are also way up on the list.

Just the Cub. After retiring from 3.5 jobs, (TWA was the half), my one and only wife wants to see more of me, as does the dog. Doing a lot of work with the local Catholic parish.

Joe Woods is right! 2 Super Cubs + a Bonanza

Favorite airplanes: The two S C's I owned with another fellow, plus a 49 A 35 Bonanza with 225 HP and Cleveland brakes. That thing was almost as good as a C 180 for short field work. (I have been saying that for 40 years and still no on believes me!) I got in that Bonanza and flew it home with no dual or anything. Lucky I didn't bust my butt with crazy fuel system, but very light on controls and very fast.

I have owned and flown three planes; the ag wagon was a blast to fly and made me good money, the Beaver on floats was fun but lots of load/unload and now a C170 with 180 hp. The duster was the most enjoyable- I felt like a strafing fighter pilot. Twin Otter is my favorite. Never flew one but my first trip the pilot BACKED UP and drove down a twisty steep trail to the arctic ice and took off. Fabulous performer in the north at minus 5000 ft density alt. Rode in DC4 , electras and sikorsky t 54, great memories.

The little Grumman AA-1C was a hoot to fly. Super-responsive – you think "bank left" and it banked. Sweetest-flying airplane I ever flew.

The most fun-to-fly helicopter I've ever flown was the TH-55 we used in Army flight school. Looked like an orange lollypop turned sideways, with a rotor on top, but it was amazingly maneuverable and responsive. If I were a rich man, I'd own one of those today. Or better yet, the civilian Hughes/Schweitzer 300C, that was a good bit faster (86 kts vs 65 kts cruise) and almost 1000 lbs of useful load.

It’s always difficult for me to separate the handling characteristics implication of this question from the emotional impact of airplanes that we’ve loved just because of the adventures we had and the things we learned. The nice thing about the title here is that it allows a wide swath of responses.

My favorite airplane of all time is the Boeing 757. Just an amazing airliner that is awesome to fly and fun to travel in. I’m fortunate enough to be returning to it right now. I’m halfway through the sims. What was it Len Morgan said about it being like kissing your sister?

My other favorite airplane is the J-3. It flies like...a Cub.

I taught people to fly in them and taught pilots who already knew how to fly, how to actually takeoff and land. I’m fortunate enough to own the airplane I used to instruct in. Although it’s for sale. I’ve got this crazy plan to buy half of my buddy’s Stearman. It flies like a Cub too.

Maybe the Cub is my favorite.

Back