• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fwiw post

flyrite

Lyons,GA
For anyone who has ever done a major on a C-90-12 that has had the the acc. gear on the front of the camshaft removed ,And through out the process, discussed the need to replace the screws numerous times to make sure you have oil pressure on the first start. BUT, Through a set of unexplainable circumstances ......They got overlooked :evil:.
Here’s what I can say....After the OVERWHELMING FRUSTRATION of why no oil pressure on the start, and a lot of weeping and gnashing, With a little “Redneck Inginuity”, The screws can be installed without splitting the cases, Through the small fuel pump port on the case! 8)
Also, Pumping the compression up to Lycons 10/1’s and porting and polishing as well as using the old 35 deg. overlap cam makes a Kickass seat of the pants difference in performance.

tony, did you port and polish yourself? and what did you set your timing to?? top and bottom. what kind of tool did you fish the bolts or set screws with to get them in?

Nah, Me and a Buddy just put it together, Sent all the parts out, as well as bought Lycon's cylinders and had them do the port and polish work. Retimed to the factory setting of 28 and 26 deg. , Will advance it to 31 and 29 after breakin. The tool that we used for the 90 deg screw install was noting more than a allen wrench with a wielded on shaft extension. Superglued the screw on , Put the high dollar Loctite on and went about the tedious task of inserting it in to each hole and slowly rotating the crank until certain it started correctly, and then continued to rotate till all tightened up! Wat'n able to do a proper torque on them , But obviously all they do is block off holes.
I learned ya got to hold your tongue just rite to get them to start... :nutz:. Would love to claim credit for idea and the fix , But, wat'n my skills and redneck'n …..But, Then again , Wat'n me who screwed the pooch on leaving them off either! :agrue:

FWIW....Follow up on my rebuild. Took over 100 hours for the excessive oil burn to subside.
First 100 it burned approximately 1 qt. every 4 hours, Slowly started improving and now has stabilized at around a qt every 10 to 12. Engine now has around 140 hours.
Never had one take this long. Was beginning to think the rings were not gonna seat.

Back