Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Cleaning Aluminum with Soda Blaster, Question

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Aluminum with Soda Blaster, Question

I am getting ready to clean some aluminum parts.

I know you can glass bead aluminum but I would prefer to utilize Soda to clean the parts if possible.
    It leaves a finer finish. Easer to remove the soda basting soda with water and let dry, then utilize the other chemicals to prevent further corrosion.

Is there any reason to NOT UTILIZE SODA BLASTING for cleaning aluminum?
    I have not found any reason in my general search on the net.

Thanks for any reply.

Ken

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You only have very thin coating of pure aluminum on top of the alloy below to protect it from corrosion. Donít destroy it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you trying to remove from what aluminum alloys?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve used soda blasting in the past with good results. I didn’t care for glass beads. It gave a rougher finish. You’ll want to alodine the parts after you clean them.
    Likes Hardtailjohn, pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am working on the wings of a PA-12 and the aluminum parts as well as the steel parts have flaking primer, dirt, insect nests , bird S$!t etc. on most of the parts.
    You know, trying to clean 72 years of age from the wings , should allow me to check for cracks, loose rivets etc allow repair of any ribs that have the need.
    After soda blasting I plan on rinsing in ph neutral water then high pressure airdrying, then 100 degree heat for 2hr to remove all moisture, submerging each part in Alodine, then repair as necessary when time permits. If I have to redo a few pieces due to repairs , then I will redo.
    Also planning to do flap mod to wings as well.
    At least that is the plan.
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was me I would buy Dakota Cub Ribs, new spars if needed and clean up the rest of the parts. Or possibly just buy new wings...
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahles56 View Post
    I am working on the wings of a PA-12 and the aluminum parts as well as the steel parts have flaking primer, dirt, insect nests , bird S$!t etc. on most of the parts.
    You know, trying to clean 72 years of age from the wings , should allow me to check for cracks, loose rivets etc allow repair of any ribs that have the need.
    After soda blasting I plan on rinsing in ph neutral water then high pressure airdrying, then 100 degree heat for 2hr to remove all moisture, submerging each part in Alodine, then repair as necessary when time permits. If I have to redo a few pieces due to repairs , then I will redo.
    that's WAY MORE work than you need to do... if it's sound reuse it. if it's bad replace it....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have rebuilt a lot of wings and I would not soda blast any aluminum except maybe the spars and the compression struts. I have had no issues using paint stripper, Scotchbrite and then etch, alodyne and sometimes epoxy primer on aluminum. Bead blast the steel.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahles56 View Post
    I'm not totally sure, but I think the rivets are steel. I don't think you should put steel in an acid dip.