Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Belly Pod

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    67.8N,115.1W CYCO Canada
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Belly Pod

    Does a belly pod create any problems with "ground clearance" when on skis?
    Is there room for tent, tent fly, tent poles, two mattress pads, sleeping bag, wing and engine covers and two small backpacks - one with survival items and one with food?
    Can a belly pod be used when on floats? (Not that I really need the extra space since I have big compartments and carry less stuff during the summer).

  2. #2
    spinner2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,720
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4675.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	40804

    I think it would depend on your skis. My big Carbon Concept skis are buried here but the pod stayed above the snow. The gear is 3" extended and the pedestals put the axle nearly as high as it is on 31's.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Thanks NunavutPA-12 thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,598
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the snow is deep enough it just acts like another ski. Standard pod can carry a lot when properly packed, when you say tent and mattress pads, how big are you talking? Experimental guys can get the extra deep pod.
    DENNY
    Thanks NunavutPA-12 thanked for this post
    Likes Scooter7779h liked this post

  4. #4
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes on floats... you will need to drill holes for rear wires, and cut for rear float fittings... but doable... maybe not pretty..

  5. #5
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    10,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    If the snow is deep enough it just acts like another ski. Standard pod can carry a lot when properly packed, when you say tent and mattress pads, how big are you talking? Experimental guys can get the extra deep pod.
    DENNY
    Um, not necessarily. My experience with that on a Cessna 185 with a much more streamlined pod than some Cub pods was that it created HUGE drag if it got in snow.....and if it was deep, it got in the snow. I did a lot of snowshoe prepping takeoffs that winter.

    A Cub on big skis, being a much lighter airplane, is a lot less likely to get into this situation, but I've been in snow conditions with a Cub that I really, really wouldn't have wanted a pod on the plane. Like four foot deep powder.....

    MTV
    Likes DENNY, BC12D-4-85, NunavutPA-12 liked this post

  6. #6
    C130jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    378
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NunavutPA-12 View Post
    Does a belly pod create any problems with "ground clearance" when on skis?
    Is there room for tent, tent fly, tent poles, two mattress pads, sleeping bag, wing and engine covers and two small backpacks - one with survival items and one with food?
    Can a belly pod be used when on floats? (Not that I really need the extra space since I have big compartments and carry less stuff during the summer).
    Extra work for the float swap.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170113_095814.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	40818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170605_144128.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	40819

    Sent from my SM-G930V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks NunavutPA-12 thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  7. #7
    aktango58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    18AA
    Posts
    9,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C130jake View Post
    Extra work for the float swap.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170113_095814.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	40818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170605_144128.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	40819

    Sent from my SM-G930V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    After the first goat rope I began leaving my fly wire ends on the upper aft fittings so I did not have to spend an hour putting cotter pins in every year!

    I could carry my Arctic Oven and two cots in the pod. Might get wing cover in but not engine cover, (18 combo pod).

    The nice thing about a pod is carrying stuff you don't want to warm up, thaw and freeze again, like covers.

    I never had an issue with deep snow when I ran the pod. Worth having.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1475.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	40826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1476.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	40827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1477.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	40829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1382.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	40830

    Depending on the pod, you probably will have to reroute the wire for the rudder lift. On mine, the wire was attached to the both end wire from the rudder at about over the rear spreader bar so I’ve made a bracket with a pulley attached to the left rigging strut. That way, it pull a little bit much more on the left rudder than the right.

    I don’t know if I’m the only one to have experienced this with a belly pod on floats but I’m no more able to turn when the floats are “plow”. Before having the pod installed, I could begin to turn, lift the rudders, full power and continue to full turn until I got on the step, usefull on small lake . Now, when I put full power, even if I press full rudder one side or the other, it only goes straight. Am I the only one to live that?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1343.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	40831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	40832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1350.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	40833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1349.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	40834

    And for the content, here’s the measurements

    25” wide in front
    14” depth at the deepest
    82” long
    And about 8-10” depth at the rear end




    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh! I forgot... I’m sorry if I’ve made some mistakes, English is not my primary language, I usually speak in French.🤷*♂️


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be in the remove pod for floats camp. Easy.

    Alaska Bush Pods are great for adding capacity right where you'd like the CG to be and don't have many down sides even when you fly with it empty.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I'd be in the remove pod for floats camp. Easy.

    Alaska Bush Pods are great for adding capacity right where you'd like the CG to be and don't have many down sides even when you fly with it empty.
    Does Bob Piatt still makes pod?


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks jrussl thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl liked this post

  12. #12
    jrussl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bush4 View Post
    Does Bob Piatt still makes pod?


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Yes he does. Great pods. Landed at his place in July and bolted this one on. One of the best additions to my SuperCubClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	40835


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrussl View Post
    Yes he does. Great pods. Landed at his place in July and bolted this one on. One of the best additions to my SuperCubClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	40835


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    I really love mine too, it’s huge and lightweight. But On floats, harder to access to your stuff within 🤪 the strut and the flying wires do not help


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes jrussl, mike mcs repair liked this post

  14. #14
    aktango58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    18AA
    Posts
    9,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bush4 View Post
    I really love mine too, it’s huge and lightweight. But On floats, harder to access to your stuff within 浪 the strut and the flying wires do not help


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    That is correct, there are downsides with floats- but still easier than the Atlee extended baggage

    I had the Airglass Combo pod, so door was smaller than the Bush pod. Bush Pod, or Randy's carbon one, are much bigger. Randy has a door in back, so for floats that might be the ticket also.

    For the pull up system, I had a loop from one rudder to the other with an eye set where it pulled each rudder evenly. I used a small braided parachute type chord from my pull up handle down to the eye in the cable loop. I ran a piece of stainless or aluminum around a spreader bar and mounted a pulley to it inline with where the cabin line came out; line went from the eye, through the pulley and into the cabin with no chaffing of the pod. Took about an hour to fab up. Was also cheap and easy to take apart and replace every two or three years when it might need it.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    That is correct, there are downsides with floats- but still easier than the Atlee extended baggage

    I had the Airglass Combo pod, so door was smaller than the Bush pod. Bush Pod, or Randy's carbon one, are much bigger. Randy has a door in back, so for floats that might be the ticket also.

    For the pull up system, I had a loop from one rudder to the other with an eye set where it pulled each rudder evenly. I used a small braided parachute type chord from my pull up handle down to the eye in the cable loop. I ran a piece of stainless or aluminum around a spreader bar and mounted a pulley to it inline with where the cabin line came out; line went from the eye, through the pulley and into the cabin with no chaffing of the pod. Took about an hour to fab up. Was also cheap and easy to take apart and replace every two or three years when it might need it.
    On floats, you can forget the pod’s back door, too hard to access (for me)

    Do you experience the same issue, turning while the the floats are “plow” is impossible, it goes straight until you’re not on the step?



    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. Belly Cam
    By Henny in forum Video Vault
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 12:51 AM
  2. Belly Pod for PA-12
    By Seaworthy in forum Products, Purchases, Reviews & Prices
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:36 PM
  3. To Belly bod or not to Belly pod, that is the question
    By Fortysix12 in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 04:43 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •