Thread: Ski Bungee Install Need Help !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ski Bungee Install Need Help !!!

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...shockcord2.php

Can some one show me the proper way to install these lock rings so the don't pull out threw the spring ?

Looking for advice , and also how do you determine the proper length of the new bungee cord

Thanks
    Gerry Marcil

Every day spent flying is a great day !

Post Thanks / Like
    The crimp ring is squeezed onto the bungee and it jams into the tapered cone of the hook. Haven’t seen one for years. My skis use shock rings. Most guys with straight skis went to springs a long time ago.

My ski rigging adjustments after new bungees are made at the cables. Cut and swage as necessary.
    Thanks C-FIJK thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart I agree with the springs , but I ordered new bungee and rings from aircraft spruce and now will have to use them , whats the best way to crimp the lock ring ?
    Gerry Marcil

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C-FIJK View Post
    Stewart I agree with the springs , but I ordered new bungee and rings from aircraft spruce and now will have to use them , whats the best way to crimp the lock ring ?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ION-TOOL-Ho...-/172482130544

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/4hNYI7Zryd4

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    Likes C-FIJK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Fold over the last inch, place ring around BOTH parts, crimp with the special tool or in a vise.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I make my own hog rings out of 12 penny nails. The ones that Spruce sells will pull out. Test them with a pull test before using

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks C-FIJK, Bowie thanked for this post
    Likes NunavutPA-12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    there aint gonna be no folding over of the last inch of bungee used for skis, gentlemen!

make sure the hog ring BITES into the bungee, NOT just squeezing it.

May I also suggest!!AC 43-13 2B Ski rigging section? Lotsa info, most of it useful, most of it accurate! Amd it FREE! And acceptable!

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I do when rigging skis is put 6 of these on the planes ski tabs. One on each side on the back and 2 on each front tab, make changing skis and wheels simple

On the left is an original Federal bungee hogring and spring hook end with a safety bail ring. Notice the diameter of the hogring. These spring ends work the best and are the safest.

Next is a bungee I did maybe 20 years ago with a Spruce spring end when I ran out if the original Federal ends. This end can and has unhooked with the newer bungee type cord if you leave them hooked while parked in the hangar. It takes the newer cord longer to return then the older style that was made with better material. If using the open type end safety it with tape.

Next is a reperduction of the Federal ends that Trickair had made that works like the original and it's SS, they sell these.

Next is a Vicegrip I modified to crimp the rings on, works to get it started but I normally use a vice and hammer on the andvil to keep it round and control how far it get seated, above the tool is a 12 penny ring that I made. Putting these rings on correctly is a PITA.

Next is something I found in Home Depot to make rings, it is the wire used to hold chain link fence to the top rail, works pretty good.

Important, when you get done I put a screwdriver or rod thru the spring end and stand on it and pull on the bungee with all your might, keep your face looking eleswhere because it hurts like hell if it comes apart. Check all ends so you know they are safe, better now then coming apart bouncing on a frozen lake on takeoff.

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 01-06-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks TurboBeaver thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl, Dave Calkins liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cubdriver2 this is the main reason I posted this and did not want to say it out loud yes the spruce rings are to small and will pull threw , I tested one I did and it failed thats why I came here for help as I did not have extra rings and needed a option

Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    First thing I do when rigging skis is put 6 of these on the planes ski tabs. One on each side on the back and 2 on each front tab, make changing skis and wheels simple

On the left is an original Federal bungee hogring and spring hook end with a safety bail ring. Notice the diameter of the hogring. These spring ends work the best and are the safest.

Next is a bungee I did maybe 20 years ago with a Spruce spring end when I ran out if the original Federal ends. This end can and has unhooked with the newer bungee type cord if you leave them hooked while parked in the hangar. It takes the newer cord longer to return then the older style that was made with better material. If using the open type end safety it with tape.

Next is a reperduction of the Federal ends that Trickair had made that works like the original and it's SS, they sell these.

Next is a Vicegrip I modified to crimp the rings on, works to get it started but I normally use a vice and hammer on the andvil to keep it round and control how far it get seated, above the tool is a 12 penny ring that I made. Putting these rings on correctly is a PITA.

Next is something I found in Home Depot to make rings, it is the wire used to hold chain link fence to the top rail, works pretty good.

Important, when you get done I put a screwdriver or rod thru the spring end and stand on it and pull on the bungee with all your might, keep your face looking eleswhere because it hurts like hell if it comes apart. Check all ends so you know they are safe, better now then coming apart bouncing on a frozen lake on takeoff.

Glenn
    Gerry Marcil

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy your shock cord rings from an arborist supply and use the correct tool as is recommended by the ring manufacturer and you will not have a problem with the cord pulling out. I recommend springs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Buy your shock cord rings from an arborist supply and use the correct tool as is recommended by the ring manufacturer and you will not have a problem with the cord pulling out. I recommend springs.
    Link?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Ring or tool link?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.
    Link for the tool? I looked at a few sites and can't find one.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Link for the tool? I looked at a few sites and can't find one.

Glenn
    http://www.bungeecentral.com/hardwar..._hardware.html
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Real hogrings are not a circular shape, they look like this to capture wire fence and upholstery springs or doubled over cheap bungees

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F181769226048

These look interesting, wonder if the will make a round squish?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362491907357

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332637085172

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Misch View Post
    Thanks, wish I could find out what the wire diameter is ?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a local hardware or farm store would have the rings as well as the pliars? Here's one possibility - -
    https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4430941134.htm
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this thread, I realized I had forgotten to block my skis tips up to un load the bungees the last time I put it in the hangar, on my to do list for tomorrow. Great info!