• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Shaving tires

Aerotow1

Anyone have tips and tricks for shaving the tread off of tires. If you want some good entertainment there are some very interesting approaches to this on youtube. I think some of them even include the phrase "Here Hold My Beer I Want To Show You Something". Seriously I am wanting to shave some tires safely so I can use them with a set of Grove wheels and brakes.

Thanks,
Dan

Mount the wheel / tire on a saw horse and mark where you want to remove tread. Take a side grinder with a coarse wheel and go to work. Keep it spinning but not fast. Put on a paper paint suit as it's messy. Not all tires have a smooth last layer of ply's. And you can be into them way soon. I never touch sidewalls except for large heavy letters. Jerry B.

Locking a brake when doing a 180 on tar works great on bushwheels!! I would do a internet search for tire shaving in you local area. If you want DIY get a few friends together and practice on theirs first.:wink:
DENNY

I sent mine to a local retreader and told him to leave a hint of tread. It cost $25. Then I touched up the edges like Jerry describes except with a belt sander.
It is a messy job.

Bandag is, I believe, a national tire outfit. I’ve had them buff tires before.

MTV

If you want smooth tires, Wilkerson tire in Crewe VA.
will recap aircraft tires most any size. They wear like iron as well.
Great people and they have a J3.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I used the electric hand grinder to flatten a worn solid Maule tailwheel. Put the fork in the vise and adjusted the angle of the grinder to control the RPM of the tire & wheel. Easy enough to control by hand and the tire ended up round with square, flat tread as desired but it was a messy process as previously described.
C.R. Brown used to have a tire shop and he would come across automobile tires that had out of round tread and wouldn't balance. He would mount the tire on a wheel and attach it to his electronic wheel balancer. He rigged up a circular saw blade on an electric motor with the blade verticle to the tread. It worked like a toolpost grinder on a lathe. He did more than a few so he was happy with the result.

Yep, 29X11X10. Even with the tread ground off I might not live long enough to wear them out.
I didn’t weigh them before and after, but they are a lot softer and lighter.

Last edited:
Back