• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska airframes fuel bags

I keep my cans and bushwheel bag upright in the back of the cub. I love my bushwheel bag but I would not trust it or a can not to leak if laid on its side. I will carry 36 gal behind me on long trips if I am alone, If I remember right I can get 20 gal (3 cans 1 bushwheel bag) behind passenger. Could get more if ya stack then. Use the pod for all the other stuff. I have tried hard side 15 gal fuel cube but it was a pain to get in and out. Also had to transfer fuel to cans to get it into the wing. With a bladder you could rig a hose to the wing then just put weight on the bladder to push the fuel into the wing.
DENNY

ABW Bladder Bags

If I’m remembering correctly the firman is 150lbs. That’s the number sticking out in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the Bags extensively on long range trips usually carrying two with me and have had no issues. I carry them in the the back always making sure they are upright. If you go this route make sure you purchase the upgraded shut off valve that is brass ( the plastic ones fail quickly )& a few extra cap O Rings in case you lose one.

I have been using my 2 bags frequently over the past 7 or so years. I made my own valve. The bags are pretty handy and I just strap one or both in the back, upright.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I bought six fuel bladders identical to the fuel bladders from Ak Airframes from a manufacturer in China. Final cost including shipping was $62.66 each
Good morning!Dear Mr sir,
We offer you that freight USD103.10 from china to Alaska 9965by international express.
And these bags USD 264.00(44x6pcs)
So total amount USD 367.00
If everything is ok,
Our paypall account:connie@softliquidtank.com
We will arrange fuel bag in after you payment total cost USD367.00
We are looking forward to your reply.

Best regards
Sonia

null

Xi'An MaiJieKe Green Liquid Tank Co.,Ltd.
E-Mail.: sonia@softliquidtank.com
Tel.: 0086-29-85518382
QQ:2876581051
WhatsApp:86-15229242032
www.china-storage-tank.com www.softliquidtank.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The 9 gallon one. Two handles make it easy to carry when full, ergonomically correct no less. Usually I put 8 in it, even then you have to use it for a while to figure out how to let the air escape as it fills. Super stable in the back of a pickup truck or loaner car, and I trust the cap, doesn't leak, ever.

The day this pictured was taken, gas, Avgas, which I don't need in the 912, was selling for 3 bucks a gallon more then regular mogas (I also don't need premium), I made two quick rides, plus screwed around once in town, and saved 48 bucks if my math is correct. Mostly I use this setup when there is NO fuel, not so much about saving money as getting gas, any gas. Everything breaks down and is secured in the plane in less then 5 minutes, as little as 3. That's a 38 MPH e conversion of the Montague folder BTW.

Attachments

• rsz_img_20170826_132843728_hdr-2.jpg
    rsz_img_20170826_132843728_hdr-2.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
The ABW fuel bag will hold 6 gallons of fuel, so 5 bags is around 300 lbs. I have used my pod on the ground to store moose/caribou on occasion and can fit about 300 lbs of meat in it without problem.8) I think the paperwork says 150 lbs also.
DENNY

The ABW fuel bag will hold 6 gallons of fuel, so 5 bags is around 300 lbs. I have used my pod on the ground to store moose/caribou on occasion and can fit about 300 lbs of meat in it without problem.8) I think the paperwork says 150 lbs also.
DENNY

I might be missing something here (usually the case), but wouldn’t 6 gallons @6lbs/gal = 36lbs per bag? 36lbs x 5 bags = 180 lbs

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

DBCC2B30-9B9A-412B-8927-AD27E2768B5C.jpeg

I can get 5 bags in my pod. I put in 5 gallons although they’ll hold a little more. An empty bag weighs 2.5 pounds.

Attachments

• DBCC2B30-9B9A-412B-8927-AD27E2768B5C.jpeg
    DBCC2B30-9B9A-412B-8927-AD27E2768B5C.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 258
I might be missing something here (usually the case), but wouldn’t 6 gallons @6lbs/gal = 36lbs per bag? 36lbs x 5 bags = 180 lbs

Eric
You apparently haven't been flying in Alaska. They do manage to get more in their airplanes than we in the lower 48.

If you're using these fuel bags, make sure you are only putting 5 gallons in them. They will hold close to 6 gallons, but that is by design so there is room to expand as you gain altitude. You also need to squeeze all the air out of the bag before you put the cap on. The people that are having problems with the bags are often from overfilling them or having excessive amounts of air in the bags expanding and creating overpressure issues splitting seams or pushing fuel past the o-ring. Another tip, apply a small amount of fuel lube on the o-ring. You will be much happier!

Firmin tested it loaded with well casing pipe something like 600lbs. Maybe 800.... not that that’s the paperwork limit
(utility load factor) 3.8 x (ultimate) 1.5 = 5.7 g 800#/5.7 = 140# (certified load) Firman would have loaded it to 855# for testing purposes to have a placard of 150#. The test is to ensure that the pod and it's attachments will stay together.

My post was more about the math than how much one can get in an airplane.
I realized that. It was sort of a joke, which had you seen a some of the loads which are carried in Alaska you would think that their math is different than that of the lower 48.

You apparently haven't been flying in Alaska. They do manage to get more in their airplanes than we in the lower 48.

Small state with small people so our trips are always very short! :wink:

Also, things weigh less at our extreme altitude.:lol:8)

How can you reweld a seam that has failed in a bag from Air Frames? That appears to never been welded? just the very outside edge?

Doug

Back