Thread: Mead 1430 Amphibs on 11-EX

Post Thanks / Like

Mead 1430 Amphibs on 11-EX

I'm sealing the deal on a set of Mead amphibs for my Experimental PA-11.....I'm just wondering if anyone here knows how different the rigging would be between this and a Carbon Cub....Just wondering how much modification i'm in for.....I already have the Atlee Dodge welded on rear fittings.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was some discussion years ago about these floats which looked very nice. I've heard nothing since. Their web site seems to have turned into something in an Asian language. This would be a case of "buyer beware". That being said if these floats are in decent condition and you are able to maintain or manufacture any needed parts, they should be able to just bolt on your PA-11 clone.
    https://seaplanepilotsassociation.vb...traight-floats
    http://www.harborsportaviation.com/
    https://point2pointcentral.com/mead-floats/
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    They are beautiful floats...the company itself is out of business, but I guess there is a shop in Florida that is providing tech support...to what degree I don’t know. I can’t afford new Aerocets so I’ll go this route, I’ll build whatever rigging I need to make them work. I love my Baumann 1500 straights, but looking forward to trying out a light amphib set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great, when you get them operating give us a PIREP. I was impressed with their features and shape at the time. Make sure that they go on similar to your Baumanns. The step should be approximately in the same location to the CG and the angle of the keels to the chord line of the wing should be about the same. Your empty CG may shift forward a little bit. If the rigging allows it, you can tweak the keel to chord angle for better or worse.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, unfortunately the Baumanns are on my TCraft....I’ll need to match up some Cub rigging for my new build�� I may call Darren at Legend Cubs....maybe the can help. They have a beautiful set of composite amphibs that the build....just a little bit out of my price point....very nice though.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can find a copy of "Design for Flying" by David Thurston there is a chapter on seaplanes. It will give you some good information on how to mount your floats.
    N1PA
    Thanks Dan Gervae thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl liked this post