• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mead 1430 Amphibs on 11-EX

That brake failure is a bummer. It's good that it happened when it did and not when you really needed the brakes, as scary as it was. Was that an actual Scott master cylinder or a Chinese pot metal copy? I know it's a lot of work, but you could make one. I made one out of solid aluminum.

Amphibs do require a lot of dependable braking capabilities. The smaller the wheels, the greater the pressures required since the small diameter disk has less mechanical advantage. You have 5" wheels which are the worse. I suggest you add another brake disk to the other side of the wheel along with the appropriate wheel braking unit. Plumb the two sides together with a "T" in the brake line. I did this to a set of EDO amphibs which had 5" wheels. It made all the difference. Raisedbywolves has these floats now.

Also your nose strut needing air could contribute to the steering issues as the angle of the pivot can make turning difficult. It wants to keep going straight.

Make sure you secure the line really well. Had a landing at home on the grass and the zip ties broke, wrapping the hose around the wheel. That side locked up. I had a wtf moment followed by locking the other side. Now there is a stainless steel zip tie and a couple plastic ones. Good thing it was on grass. The brakes work really well. Keep the nose wheel grease new and clean, the nose wheels work better that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These were new Scott masters purchased back in 1995 and sat in a box. I did push the left brake pretty hard, but I was sure surprised when I heard the snap and I veered right headed for the neighbor hanger. A quick mag shut off and I coasted toward it and stopped wheew. I have access to another Scott master(used from a PA11) from buddy Tom. I’ll fix things up and try again…the north river boosters helped a lot….maybe I stressed my brakes before just trying to keep from rolling on run up…who knows

It's difficult to see in your photo. Is that a AN-3 bolt which is being used for the pedal hinge? If so and it was tightened, it could have placed a sideload on the two cast fingers which broke. Either use a clevis pin or leave the bolt loose so that it will rotate with your fingers.

The smaller the wheels, the greater the pressures required since the small diameter disk has less mechanical advantage. You have 5" wheels which are the worse.
Not arguing, but expanding on this a little bit; the ratio of brake disc diameter to loaded tire diameter is what matters. If that ratio is smaller (i.e. smaller brake disc or larger tire) then greater pressure is required for comparable braking action.

Not arguing, but expanding on this a little bit; the ratio of brake disc diameter to loaded tire diameter is what matters. If that ratio is smaller (i.e. smaller brake disc or larger tire) then greater pressure is required for comparable braking action.

Is it really the full disc diameter that should be considered or perhaps something like the radius at the effective center of the brake pads? Radius of center of caliper piston(s)?

Is it really the full disc diameter that should be considered or perhaps something like the radius at the effective center of the brake pads? Radius of center of caliper piston(s)?
Both valid answers. In this case a single puck brake on a 5" wheel has inadequate brake clamping capabilities. IF he had a 6" wheel, he could just replace the single puck brake with a double puck brake thereby doubling his braking capabilities. There are no double puck brakes available for a 5" wheel. Therefor in order to double his brake capabilities it is necessary to add a second single puck brake. Due to the confined space available, it is easier to just install another second complete disc assembly on the opposite side of the wheel.

Dan's master cylinders and the brake cylinders are pressure/volume compatible.

The dual system has the power to lock a wheel enough to skid the tire.

Maybe Douten will chime in? His seems to work ok

Glenn
Does he have the same nose gear and strut arrangement? If different, that's all it takes for ease of steering control. Nose gear geometry in amphibs has a history. They each have their own issues big or small. They all require a good braking system.

The guy I’ve been talking to in Florida with these floats changed out the carbon fiber front gear to a 7075 aluminum bar of same dimensions… he reports much better performance and less twisting when casters are 90 degrees…I may do same

DBDC676B-1E99-4B1F-AC51-146A3162AFF6.jpg
anyways…all troubles aside I thought I’d show you how I do my rudder cable retract…after wearing through many of the bent stainless tubes where the cable entered the cockpit…I always make a simple pulley setup. Works awesome

Attachments

• DBDC676B-1E99-4B1F-AC51-146A3162AFF6.jpg
    DBDC676B-1E99-4B1F-AC51-146A3162AFF6.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 90
Now bend up a U clip to place over the pulley to prevent the cable from falling off. Your right, it is slick, easy to operate.

PeteSmithCub11June1012009.jpg

Been busy Glenn and was going to post, Baumann's have the grove set up for brakes that work well will not really lock up the brakes when landing I just have the stock scott brakes and don't feel any need for more braking (land slow and plan ahead) I have parking brakes for starts on pavement or around other planes that really helps with no electrics. wet grass takes a little to keep them dry enough to be effective.

Douten, is your front gear a little twisty when casters are at 90 degrees? Or Is the Baumann front gear pretty robust? My brakes when on wheel were pretty weak …standard Scott with single puck Cleveland…these groves with the north rivers have noticeably more braking…I was just concerned I need more braking on the amphibs.

I have Baumann 1500A on the Tcraft and the brakes are a little weak but fine unless you would need to lock them up landing. I have Cleveland master cylinders on the F21 that takes a bit off forse to get the nose wheels straight at start up but otherwise no problems at all.

Jim

Dan, These are the best pictures I've seen of your nose gear. The section ahead of the strut attach location appears to be a thin flat piece of carbon fiber layup. This may be weak in torsion. After you get your brakes squared away, turn the nose wheels 90 degrees. Have someone take a close up picture while holding the brakes running the engine to full power. Does the flat section twist so that the nose fork pivot bolt changes it's angle from the vertical position? If so, that means a greater force will be required to straighten the nose wheel due to the fact that it also has to do some lifting in order to turn. This lifting has to counteract the additional down loads created by the engine power. Think, High thrust line pivoting on the locked brakes reacting against the distance to the nose wheel. You may find a need to add a stiffener strap.

All of the amphibs of which I have been involved, including flying boats with nose wheels, have castering nose wheels. In all cases they require strong brakes and power to correct for a fully turned wheel. When the pivot of that turned wheel is not vertical there is an added amount of weight which must be lifted in order to turn that wheel.

I hope I explained this clearly enough.

Test flight went perfect guys…thanks so much for all your help. It gets off the water good…it’s a little different than my Tcraft, so after a little practice and knowing the sweet spot be
tter, it’s going to be fabulous. The gear handled my rough 2000’ asphalt runway well and you can’t tell the difference in flight (barely) between gear and floats. Feeling very blessed. Thank you all so much again for the help.
B3C83C90-1D4E-4676-B973-E38A255D7574.jpg
8E9481F5-0819-48B8-B717-3A90AC4736C1.jpg
Pete, you never failed to reply with helpful advice….A special Thanks to you! First flights are nerve wracking. Lol time for a cold one.

Attachments

• B3C83C90-1D4E-4676-B973-E38A255D7574.jpg
    B3C83C90-1D4E-4676-B973-E38A255D7574.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 8E9481F5-0819-48B8-B717-3A90AC4736C1.jpg
    8E9481F5-0819-48B8-B717-3A90AC4736C1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Dan t-craft is right about the nose wheel when 90 degree the arm has a little play but seems strong enough. glad you have it flying.

Pirep after some more hours on the Meads….the shocks are amazing, they handle my rough asphalt strip very well. Gear actuation works well….one wheel at a time…so it’s about 27 second cycle time. The gear indicators can be easily seen from the cockpit, plus there are leds that light up on the panel. Floats handle on the water very well and even though I’m missing my spray rails…the fluted bottoms negate the need for them…prop doesn’t get spray. They have around 10” of freeboard with me 220lbs and 18 gals of gas….noses seemed at first to ride a little low, but I’ve found they pop right up with power application. I’m still learning the quickest technique to the sweet spot…seems to have a second rise after which you relax stick and it goes right onto step. They have a nice large sweet spot with no bad behavior. I only timed one takeoff with 18 gallons and me on 85 degree day and I got 14 seconds….I did push over too hard to force onto step so I’m sure with experience in this plane, I’ll lower that time. I think anyone flying one of these light amphibs says a little more floatation would be nice, but so far I’ve seen no bad behaviors in downwind water taxi turns in 10kts wind so they seem adequate. I list almost no cruise speed. I’m very happy with the setup…I got in on the cheap with an excellent little set of amphibs.
9D4C8E1D-09C8-4C33-95C1-9F36C9A21EBE.jpg

Attachments

• 9D4C8E1D-09C8-4C33-95C1-9F36C9A21EBE.jpg
    9D4C8E1D-09C8-4C33-95C1-9F36C9A21EBE.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 74
I’m still learning the quickest technique to the sweet spot…seems to have a second rise after which you relax stick and it goes right onto step.
Learn when that second rise is just thinking about starting. There is a slight seat of the pants feeling just at this point. At that point, relax the back pressure allowing the nose to slip up onto the step by it self. Don't push it over, let it go by itself. Any portion of that second rise is a small piece of drag and extra time. You'll get it, enjoy.

Why do some floats have that 2nd rise? I've noted it mainly under low power or otherwise when heavy

Gary

Why do some floats have that 2nd rise? I've noted it mainly under low power or otherwise when heavy

Gary
You're too used to it and compensate automatically. I think I've found it on any seaplane I've flown, some more pronounced than others though.

My Tcraft on Baumann’s has one rise solo and a less pronounced second rise when loaded….I notice higher oil temps on both my Tcraft and my Cub when on floats….I think a more pronounced lip on bottom cowl might help? Not too sure

From your pics I'd double what lip dimension you currently have and test. Tape on the added and then mount if it works. Simple polycarbonate is flexible for cutting/forming a lip

Gary

As I put more hours on my floats I've noticed that I touchdown on the tails fairly often, and I think my takeoff runs could be improved some. I'm thinking a little shorter rear strut might help (larger birdmouth). Anyone have an opinion otherwise? I'm at between 4-4.5 degrees to bottom of wing from float deck now. Reading Petes reply earlier in my thread it makes sense to not go past 5 degrees too much based on aerodynamic/hydrodynamic factors.
see video that a neighbor took...it even skips a little on the tails upon landing

Last edited:
….noses seemed at first to ride a little low, but I’ve found they pop right up with power application......I lost almost no cruise speed.

As I put more hours on my floats I've noticed that I touchdown on the tails fairly often, and I think my takeoff runs could be improved some. I'm thinking a little shorter rear strut might help (larger birdmouth). Anyone have an opinion otherwise? I'm at between 4-4.5 degrees to bottom of wing from float deck now. Reading Petes reply earlier in my thread it makes sense to not go past 5 degrees too much based on aerodynamic/hydrodynamic factors.
see video that a neighbor took...it even skips a little on the tails upon landing.
That makes sense. Now, how much and how to do it? Looking at your picture in post #78 and the method/dimensions of attaching the strut to the fittings, it appears you would need to make an entirely new strut as there aren't any tolerances for drilling new holes. To change the angle 1 degree would require a little less than 1" change in dimension. There are a couple of other ways to accomplish the same angle change. One would be to insert a spacer block between the front float deck fitting and the float with longer bolts. The other would be to make a new front strut to float deck fitting. This front fitting could be made close to the same with the change being to move the strut to fitting bolt hole aft to align the load paths. Doing this would raise the fuselage gear fittings increasing the fishmouth angle and would move the floats forward (very) slightly reducing your observation of the noses being a little low. This method will require no change in your cross wire rigging.

Do some plane geometry. Figure how much you need to shorten the base of the triangle leaving the other two sides unchanged in order to raise the height of the triangle the desired amount.

Last edited:
Some good suggestions...Thanks....I'll ponder a bit. I fixed the video link so you can probably see it now

IMG_0427.png
Dreaming of summer days on Lake Superior…we’ve had the strangest winter I’ve ever seen I. The U.P. Almost no snow and unseasonably warm…might as well get on with spring😁 it’s been a super El Nino I guess.

Back