• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

lycoming 0-235 need to know where to turn for help to do the parts prep.

Ericklee

Happy New Year 2019 everybody!

I just joined the sight as a paying member for the new year. I'm afraid I'm a learner, not highly knowledgable, except for how to bridge welds in poorly fit 4130. I have limited engine building experience, but am not afraid to do anything with the help of youtube or guys "who know".

I bought an 0-235 C1b, cheaply. I won't bore you with how pretty and well stored I think it was for 18 years, becauause I know it means very little with this antique until it flies. I don't have the last 20 years of log book, ugh. I plan on not paying big bucks to an A&P until I have to. I have and know how to use a dial indicator, hand tools and have the wrenches form aircraft tool supply. As far as manuals, I've downloaded the overhaul manual for these non- self adjusting valve engines from lycoming and I went to the two day lycoming seminar at oshkosh. that's just background, so I don't know a lot about an approach to making my engine safe, other than maybe another 10 hours of reading on this.

Who and where should I turn to and how should I go about doing this. Can I still get all the parts I will need as in overhaul internal parts? Any suggestions as to places to send certain items, such as to have the crank checked / ground, connecting rods, etc.. I know about Lycon for pistons and rings, but am looking for any economical alternatives that others have used, realizing that economy and airplanes make strange bedfellows.

Thanks for your indulgence and help. I love the site so far. Btw, this is for experimental use only. Going in my Earl Luce plans build Wittman Buttercup that I've got about 4,000 plus hours building from scratch. I am not a fast machine.

Eric
Florida

I used them for a set of O-300 cases and they lost the accessory case. They made good on it after a discussion. Their work is good and prices average.
I like AEA, in Dallas, they do great work also , cam grinds , checking cranks etc. 1-972-243-7404.

Divco or Crankcase Services for crankcase. Aircraft Specialty Services for internal steel. AEA charges the same for a crankcase as do the others but they do not machine the parting faces, line bore and alodyne. They missed a crack in an O-470 case I sent them. I had several issues with their machine work on two engines. They were not truthful with me on the first engine, luckily I checked the second engine and found the same problem. Rockers were ground off center and started chipping off steel where they contact the valve stem. I will not use them again.

If you have access to the Lycoming service bulletin, letters and memos library I would research your engine in those. Lots of very useful information there. The Sacramento SkyRanch Engineering Manual is also very helpful.

All that said, there is a bit of tribal knowledge in engine assembly from someone who has done it correctly before.

AEA told me they didn't do cases, that's why I used Divco and mostly use new Cyl.'s. So didn't encounter problems.

I had called Zephyr engines. They are under a new owner, who I spoke to. $23000 was the price he gave me to overhaul my little 0-235. His price didn't change knowing its for experimental. They weren't particularly interested in doing anything less than a full overhaul. Needless to say, it was impressed on me that the 0-235 is expensive to overhaul. I appreciate the feedback, though. You never know when a suggestion is the one that works out.

Cheers and Happy 2019

I like your suggestions and the information, especially hearing about bad experiences. Aircraft Specialties sounds like the place. I will call them and check out time frames and such. Super stuff.

The expensive part of the O-235-C series is the rings. Seems like I had an automotive alternative in my notes somewhere. I will have to look.

The expensive part of the O-235-C series is the rings. Seems like I had an automotive alternative in my notes somewhere. I will have to look.

The rings are just the start of the real expenses to come, in my life experience. Bought three so far 8):lol:. But seriously, I remember talking to a guy, who does automotive rings for the 0-290, but not the 0-235. Seems like his name was Jan or some other more common to a female. He advertised on Barnstormers a while back. I'd love to know who you know of that has the recipe for automotive rings on this one. Lycon's pricing wasn't that bad (for airplane usable parts) 0-235 experimental ones. It seems like the piston and ring kits are about 1600.00 for the set of all four. It's certainly not automotive prices, but not lycoming rates, either.

Please put your thinking cap on and recall that one. Maybe I'll someday know enough to help someone else and pass the favor along.

Back