• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa 18 Control Stick

supergoose

pa
Happy New Year everyone..... enjoying a quiet evening at home . While my wife watches the Flyers lose again I’m thinking about my cub. The control sticks are tarnished and pitted and was thinking of having them chromed.... However I’m not sure if that’s the look I really want. I could always strip them with black electrical tape for a more “rugged look”. Was wondering what most sticks look like these days?

No, I think the Bobbitt method only works once. And I don't know if the stick is functional once re-installed.

And then there's the characters from Meadow Lakes that "borrowed" a friend's Cub control stick and had it powder coated pink.

And then there's the characters from Meadow Lakes that "borrowed" a friend's Cub control stick and had it powder coated pink.

There are a few Cubs around here with pink items installed. Funny how the powder coat always seems to come from the same shop.

Web

PA-11 sticks did indeed have the medium blue plastic tops, but they were not painted black. The paint color was dark blue. Unless, of course, they were later models with the later external paint scheme. Then the paint color was dark brown with the same blue tops.

Good info on the PA-11 sticks. I had to strip my former plane during the restoration and it went from overall black to blue tip and bare metal with some traces of a dark paint...likely the brown referred to.

Rear seat stick?

Good info on the PA-11 sticks. I had to strip my former plane during the restoration and it went from overall black to blue tip and bare metal with some traces of a dark paint...likely the brown referred to.

Might not be the best thread for a serious - though possibly ignorant - question, but --- A recently acquired PA-11 comes to me without rear control stick. Online research shows both straight versions and some with a bend at a point about 2/3rds from bottom available at our few remaining parts places. (I presume the bend is to keep the stick from hitting the back of the front seat.) A walk around the tarmac to see what the neighbors are doing reveals that most folks do not have their rear control stick in and have the Atlee cover on instead. Could not find a single rear control stick in an 11, 12, or 18 to look at! What do all you experts know about this?

To my knowledge, all PA-11s were delivered with a rear control sticks with no bends in them. I suspect any sticks with other configurations that you have seen in the airplanes were field modifications.

One thing to consider is that successful three point landings in a Cub require the stick to be in the full aft position at touchdown. The top of the control stick being any further aft from the original design would make it problematic for half of the population if the rear seat is occupied.

I make mine with a slight angle that only moves the top aft about 2". On a stock seat 11 if you don't stick anything in the rear pouch a straight stick is fine. My rear stick is out most of the time and in the baggage if I need it. AN3 bolt with a hairpin make it easy to switch

Glenn

Put the front seat back as far as it will go then see if the stick will hit the seat back. Make sure you all the usual stuff you carry in the seat back pouch if you have one. Bend only as much as needed for full forward travel. If you get a somewhat large passenger they can interfere if the stick has a big bend to the rear.
DENNY

Back