• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trio A/P installation in a C-185

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
Hi All,

We just finished an install of the STC'd Trio Pro Pilot autopilot in my 73 C-185.

For those that might not be familiar, the Trio is a full feature 2 axis A/P offering the basics plus V/S and A/S hold as well as Alt preselect among other goodies.
The STC Group has obtained STC's for the 172, 182 180/185 as well as the PA28 line and is working on others.

Have not done any flying as we finished yesterday and the weather was terrible. Just thought I would give the few thoughts and will be updating this thread as soon as we do the flight testing.

The install went relatively issue free after several calls to both Trio and The STC Group which offers the STC and install kit. I would like to add that both of them were VERY helpful on the phone. The STC Group even set up a video conference call with me before the install started to clarify a slight mod they wanted me to do during the install.
Overall I was impressed with the quality of the install kit which included a very professional wiring harness as well as the Pro Pilot unit itself.
If there was any complaint it was perhaps the manual needs to be proof read as there are numerous errors most of which are obvious but a few did require a clarifying phone call.

Hope to get back to the plane which is about 2:45 away by car or 40 min in my buddy's 210 in NH at my mechanics shop by Wed or Thurs of next week.

Tom

Tom
Looking fwd to a pirep. I’m still waiting on TruTrak. Rumor is it is now put off until SnF.

Lou1

Last edited:
I just installed a TruTrak in a Cardinal. The manual was pretty well written and all the small parts were in a blister pack. There was a couple of small issues. They sent the wrong pitch servo bracket, the hardware wasn’t correct on the roll pushrod and the roll was programmed incorrectly.

The guy that had it installed seemed happy with it. My only problem with it is it won’t follow a heading bug. I guess that’s forthcoming on an Aspen which the Cardinal had.

The not following a heading bug seems to be normal on these newer GPS driven autopilots. I actually replaced my old DG with a newer used one with a heading bug designed for a S-TEC A/P some time ago but will be unable to use it with the Trio.

Sorry I haven't got back with flight test reports. There have been some problems and I had the head replaced but same issues persist. I will say the help and time Chuck from Trio has been excellent. Basically the rotary encoder, the knob you turn to change setting just quits after a short time and one cannot make any further setting adjustments. Second head just tested to day and doing the same thing. We think it might be an issue with the Arinc data so tomorrow I will fly with it disabled from the Garmin.

Last edited:
Tom
Looking fwd to a pirep. I’m still waiting on TruTrak. Rumor is it is now put off until SnF.

Lou1

Well only a year late but TruTrak finally got STC approval for C180,182,185 and PA32.
Should have mine soon. Hope to have it in by late May.
Lou
[h=4]TRUTRAK RECEIVES STC FOR C180, C182, C185, & PA-32![/h]

Doesn't show up on the website.

Well only a year late but TruTrak finally got STC approval for C180,182,185 and PA32.
Should have mine soon. Hope to have it in by late May.
Lou
TRUTRAK RECEIVES STC FOR C180, C182, C185, & PA-32!

I just got an email and saw that too.

After much frustration I finally have my Trio working fairly well.
If I had to do it all over I would probably wait for the Trutrak as It probably would not be as troublesome as the Trio has been. Its also less expensive.

Lou, keep us updated

Tom

Tom
Sorry you had so much trouble getting yours dialed in. I’m at SnF and will be at TruTrak first thing tomorrow to find out when mine will be shipped. Hoping to have it up and running for the summer flying season.
Lou

Back