• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Where to fit the Mode S Transponder Antenna

Brill!!! Another thing learned!! Thanks Web!! I’m thinking about zip tying the coax to the middle tubes, behind the parking brake cables and feeding through that way, but I’ll report back with what actually happens!!

Does the false boot easily come away when the front and side screws are removed? I’m assuming it’s not attached to the gear doors?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The false boot is just a wrap around piece of sheet metal. It's a matter of removing the correct screws. Each installation can vary a little as owners and mechanics install more/less screws and in different order. Look it over and see what you have. You only need to have enough room to reach a hand inside the lower boot cowl area.

Web

Im speechless about the location of this antenna. I really am.

It is a simple matter of access and ground plane. This is the third location for a transponder antenna on this plane; a CC EX. The CC has a large triangular aluminum belly pan and I had a TED type antenna here to start with. But a belly pod addition had me move it to the boot cowl. On the CC the boot cowl is different than an -18 and there was just one place suitable for the TED. CC came out with a fuel drain SB that I took my time complying with. IMO it was a solution looking for a problem but I bought the kit and installed it. But doing so prevented the boot cowl TED from staying where it was.

At at the same time I installed a GDL 82 for an Out solution. Where to put the blade antenna? I considered the tail clean out pan, like Kirby’s. But I decided against that because of possible damage on skis. I talked to my avionics shop and they advised under the wing, saying they’d done that on some seaplanes and flying boats. I had access to run coax through the nose ribs with the landing light removed and the leading edge skin works well as a ground plane. I get uninterrupted ADSB uplinks so it isn’t a shadowing problem. It also isn’t much different in location than the new wing tip light replacement Out solutions on the market now.

This is where I usually mount them. As said above, occasionally there can be noise issues but rarely enough that I deal with them on a case by case basis. The Comant antenna works great but is spendy. I've used the TED 104-12 antenna for many years and had great performance. Also, drill one hole and the TED is installed.

When any antenna is mounted on a metal surface, the ground plane issue is usually taken care of with no further 'additions' needed.

Web

Hi Web, I’ve got the boot cowl loosened and the multiple years of crud vacuumed out!!! Removing the false boot was the real key and on looking forward through it, I felt like Mr Carter at his first glimpse into Tutankhamen’s tomb!!!

There’s also loads of height clearance for the coax!!!

Question, my 12 has ridges on each side of the horizontal bottom of the boot cowl which is kind of recessed between them, will these affect the antenna AND will the less than vertical line-up of the antenna also affect performance?

Also, general question, should the gear doors be the shape they are, or a flatter, more continuous and pleasing bend? :)

IMG_4236.JPGIMG_4243.JPGIMG_4249.JPGIMG_4246.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4236.JPG
    IMG_4236.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4243.JPG
    IMG_4243.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4249.JPG
    IMG_4249.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4246.JPG
    IMG_4246.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 330
Hopefully you survive the curse better than Carter's crew!

That recess may be less than ideal but I'd say it will work just fine. If I was installing this antenna for you, I'd keep it close to center, left/right, and roughly six inches from the rear edge of the boot cowl. And if the antenna is within 10 or 15 degrees of vertical, in level flight, it will function correctly. Remember that while vertical is perfect, it's made to work as the aircraft maneuvers.

Those cover panels look like they've been worked over pretty hard during maintenance. You could fabricate replacements fairly easily.

Web

Im speechless about the location of this antenna. I really am.

Is that speechless pro or speechless con?
Although it might be in some danger of walkaround head strikes,
personally I think it's a good example of thinking outside the box.
Kinda like Uavionix with their position light ADSB's.

That recess may be less than ideal but I'd say it will work just fine. If I was installing this antenna for you, I'd keep it close to center, left/right, and roughly six inches from the rear edge of the boot cowl. And if the antenna is within 10 or 15 degrees of vertical, in level flight, it will function correctly. Remember that while vertical is perfect, it's made to work as the aircraft maneuvers.

Those cover panels look like they've been worked over pretty hard during maintenance. You could fabricate replacements fairly easily.

Web

Brill, thanks Web!! No sign of sudden and grisly end of life experiences as yet, so fingers crossed on the curse of the boot cowl ;)

I was thinking of putting the antenna towards the back as the indent is less there, as you can see in this pic, so thank you for the confirmation! I was slightly worried it would be nearer the gear legs, but sounds like they don’t usually interfere.

IMG_3838.JPG

I thought the cover panels looked pretty beaten up, so I’ll take them fully off and either straighten them, or think about replacing them :)

BTW I’m sure other people will have done a similar idea, but I racked my brain to get a comfortable/bearable working position when fitting the transponder and radio mounting panels to the front tubes with P Clips and came up with this:

IMG_4256.JPGIMG_4259.JPG

I took out the front seat (again!!) unbolted and lay the front stick on the floor and rested these boards on the seat mounts with steadying supports front and rear. Sat on the boards facing backwards and basically scrunched under the panel, lying on the boards and did the previously nightmarish fumbling around, in comfort, lying down with a perfect view of what I was doing :) I hope this helps someone else

Attachments

• IMG_3838.JPG
    IMG_3838.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4256.JPG
    IMG_4256.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_4259.JPG
    IMG_4259.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 162

Web

We put the gear doors through the metal bending rollers to give a nice continuous bend, after giving them a thorough clean and I covered the main pain chipped areas with orange vinyl. They now fit and look a lot better, although fitting the inboard hanger nuts and bolts was a nightmare!!!!IMG_4301.JPGIMG_4302.JPGIMG_4337.JPGIMG_4338.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4301.JPG
    IMG_4301.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4302.JPG
    IMG_4302.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4337.JPG
    IMG_4337.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4338.JPG
    IMG_4338.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 154
We put the gear doors through the metal bending rollers to give a nice continuous bend, after giving them a thorough clean and I covered the main pain chipped areas with orange vinyl. They now fit and look a lot better, although fitting the inboard hanger nuts and bolts was a nightmare!!!!View attachment 40846View attachment 40847View attachment 40848View attachment 40849

Test flew the transponder today and got an AOK from ATC [emoji41] Thanks to all for the feedback and advice!!

@Web I fitted the aerial just where you said and even at 1700’ AGL and 20 miles from the airport, everything worked 100% to specification and tolerance :) TOP advice!! THANK YOU!!!

I also put some self adhesive O section seal between the gear doors and false boot to dissuade the oil from creeping in there :)

IMG_4368.JPGIMG_4369.JPGIMG_4364.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4368.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4364.JPG
    IMG_4364.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 146
Test flew the transponder today and got an AOK from ATC [emoji41] Thanks to all for the feedback and advice!!

@Web I fitted the aerial just where you said and even at 1700’ AGL and 20 miles from the airport, everything worked 100% to specification and tolerance :) TOP advice!! THANK YOU!!!

I also put some self adhesive O section seal between the gear doors and false boot to dissuade the oil from creeping in there :)

View attachment 40916View attachment 40917View attachment 40918

Glad to hear that. Congratulations on a good install!

Web

Back